Opera 9 Beta 2 Weeklies

alsiladka

Opera Desktop Team Blog

This weekly has quite a few goodies, my favourites are exporting bookmarks to Netscape format and support for the CONTENTEDITABLE attribute, which makes Opera more compatible with IE targeted sites.

Full list follows, as always with a few things left out

UI

• Bookmarks exported to HTML are now in the Netscape Bookmark File Format, making them compatible with Yahoo bookmarks, Scuttle, MyBookmarks etc.
  • Further improvements to the new access key interface. Press Shift+Esc to enter access key mode where sites support it, eg http://www.opera.com or http://news.bbc.co.uk.
  • Multiline edit fields, compose mail and source viewer now have a
    horizontal scrollbar if needed.
  • Changing alignment of mail headers now doesn't hide or overlap headers

Rendering

• Added support for the CONTENTEDITABLE attribute.
  • Setting table height to 100% now works in quirks mode regardless of
    height of parent element(s).
  • Stand-alone images are now centered on the page - image.css is read again.
  • User set encoding is now window and site specific.
  • Baseline for CJK characters is now correct.

Widgets

• window.moveTo and window.resizeTo are now supported, as well as window.close.
  • Fixed unwarranted security violation errors.

Mac specific

• IRC DCC file sending now work again.
  • Fixed some general redraw issues.
  • Faster font reading during startup.

UNIX specific

• Ctrl+H now hides Opera to the systray if there is one.
  • Installation on Sun OSes now work.
  • No .1 linux packages today, our build machine died

• And as usual: Several crash fixes.

Happy testing!

Download links

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Edited by alsiladka

AMAZING!!! :w00t:

9.0P2 which is released a few weeks ago dont work very well for me so i change back to 8.51 and today i noticed there was a new update to 8.52 DUTCH and now i read this amazing news. Opera is going on the right way!! :thumbup

Now i go trying to get the 9.0P2snapshot installed without overwriting my old 8.52 but with all settings i have maked... :unsure:

Edit: i have copied my map Opera in %programfiles% to "Opera Beta" and install the 9.0p2 snapshot in "Opera Beta" to keep my 8.52. It dont grab all settings unfortanelly (as if my defined skin, my setting as if "dont show scrollbar" and go so on)

But after doing the modifications i must conclude the 9.0p2 snapshot works very good. I dont have found any bugs yet....

Edit2: yes, there it is... :realmad: When i place a post at a site (not MSFN) my post will not showed UNTIL i refreshed the page handmatically. 8.52 works fine with that site...

Edited by SolidasRock

New build up - 8238

24. February 2006

Thanks.... But after do the update i see my old problem still exist... i have write a bug report about it last week and never heard a answer on it... :(

Edit2: yes, there it is... When i place a post at a site (not MSFN) my post will not showed UNTIL i refreshed the page handmatically. 8.52 works fine with that site...

Have they made it so you can have the *CHOICE* yet of whether to use Opera style shortcuts or IE/Firefox style? Specifically the CTRL+Enter=http://www.YOURURL.Com, CTRL+SHIFT=http://www.YOURURL.Net, etc.? I like the speed and features of opera, but the inability to date to have a *choice* of how those shortcuts work is a deal breaker for me.

Jason

Have they made it so you can have the *CHOICE* yet of whether to use Opera style shortcuts or IE/Firefox style? Specifically the CTRL+Enter=http://www.YOURURL.Com, CTRL+SHIFT=http://www.YOURURL.Net, etc.? I like the speed and features of opera, but the inability to date to have a *choice* of how those shortcuts work is a deal breaker for me.

Jason

I agree that the auto-complete www.-.com and www.-.net are nice features that would make Opera even better, but there are ways around them. For example, if you wanted a quick way to get to www.msfn.org, then you could simply bookmark the site and in Opera, set the nickname to "msfn". Then, when you type "msfn" into the address bar, Opera will go to the full URL. I've got "news" as the nickname to http://news.google.com. Nice, quick, and simple. It also lets you make easier text-based shortcuts to big-long complicated URLs (Gmail's redirect for example)

It's just a little bit of a different way of browsing. I'll admit it takes a couple of days to get used to, but I find it much more intuitive now.

Have they made it so you can have the *CHOICE* yet of whether to use Opera style shortcuts or IE/Firefox style?
Tools >> Prefs >> Advanced >> Shortcuts >> Keyboard.

And set it to however you want, after which you could switch between opera default/customized & your firefox-like shortcuts.

Specifically the CTRL+Enter=http://www.YOURURL.Com, CTRL+SHIFT=http://www.YOURURL.Net, etc.? I like the speed and features of opera, but the inability to date to have a *choice* of how those shortcuts work is a deal breaker for me.
Incidentally, ctrl+enter & ctrl+shift works as you would expect, in the opera9 tp2 build, so your broken deal is back in the running! ;)

@Prathapml and Zxian, how to grab all settings i have maked/choosed? I want to see my skin, my choosen color, my bookmarks, my homepage, my inIE button, and all of my other settings and go so on in every new opera install...

Opera6.ini, search.ini isnt enough...

Edited by SolidasRock

@Prathapml and Zxian, how to grab all settings i have maked/choosed? I want to see my skin, my choosen color, my bookmarks, my homepage, my inIE button, and all of my other settings and go so on in every new opera install...

Just installing Opera's new builds over the previous ones is enough!! The settings do not vanish with each installation:)
Edit2: yes, there it is... When i place a post at a site (not MSFN) my post will not showed UNTIL i refreshed the page handmatically. 8.52 works fine with that site...

Yup , it is an old problem , i never ended up trying 8.5 as 9 beta was out by the time i went on to opera , but that problem used to trouble me before , dont know which version.But in the recent past , i have not been seeing it happening!!

One thing you can do for now is , enable clear catch on exit , so that every time you reopen oopera , it downloads the latest stuff rather than using the old files in the catch!!!

If any one has any remedy to remove this problem forever , i would love it .

Just copy this folder to every user & computer you want to:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Opera

Of course, change the username & paths accordingly in opera6.ini after copying it somewhere (for example, your user profile folder itself might be located on some other path, or on 64-bit windows, "C:\Program Files" becomes "C:\Program Files (x86)").

Its easy to make a wholesale-change to all lines containing paths, open in notepad & then, Edit >> Find+Replace.

Just copy this folder to every user & computer you want to:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Opera

Of course, change the username & paths accordingly in opera6.ini after copying it somewhere (for example, your user profile folder itself might be located on some other path, or on 64-bit windows, "C:\Program Files" becomes "C:\Program Files (x86)").

Its easy to make a wholesale-change to all lines containing paths, open in notepad & then, Edit >> Find+Replace.

Does it work for sure pratham? Because i have tried it quite a few times on my pc itself , Opera crashes if i use my old preference folder!!!

@alsiladka

Does it work for sure pratham? Because i have tried it quite a few times on my pc itself , Opera crashes if i use my old preference folder!!!

These settings, though advised against to retain by opera people, do work great over new installations. Lately only in Opera 9 preview, the format of few settings in the opera6.ini file has changed, but it keeps working with earlier settings too.

I am taking up these settings common for years now, of course, with few alterations.

If you have checked the single user option while installing, the same installation can be used on other pcs too, with all your bookmarks, contacts, mail, wand passwords and other preferences. It is simply the greatest ease with opera.

Edited by clavicle