[How-to] Modify MSN Messenger 7.5.0324

ajua

just extract the msi file and open it in installer design studio from www.scriptlogic.com can use it in trial mode

1) Choose repackage an existing application and open the msi file. be sure to choose the option Create Transform on MSI Directly so you can modify the internal settings of the setup. Click GO.

msn010cv.th.png

2) In IQ Views Tab modify the reboot value so it cant reboot your computer.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5979/msn023jh.png

3) In Shortcuts tou can add/delete the one(s) you want only.

msn036av.th.png

4) to prevent it from running after setup finishes delete this custom action. just reight-click on it and select Delete this Action.

msn047eq.th.png

5) To prevent the annoying toolbar, homepage change, links and search engine change. Change this 4 values to "0" without the quotes. They are in Control table in All Tables tab. you can CTRL+F to bring the search dialog and find them fast.

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/6703/msn058bw.png

6) You're done. Now just click File - Save Transformed as... and Save the modified MSI setup.

to run it just use /qn parameter on it and that all. multilanguage setups can be modified like this. i changed an english and spanish setups.

hope this is clear enough and helps.

for us that use mess patch to remove features of messenger i think we can overwrite the exe that the patch modifies but im not 100% sure on this one. will try this later.

Edited by elajua

I can confirm i have been able to patch the installer with mess.be patch..

You Need to first patch your installation once installed then copy:-

msnmsgr.exe

and

msgslang.dll to a safe directory. Rename to msnmsgrexe and msgslangdll

In Installer Design Studio, open the package as you originally did. Goto files under Files and Registry section.

Navigate to, Special Folders, Program Files, MSN Messenger.

In the right pane you will see something like:- http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/2055/msn12nz.jpg

Right click on the 2 files i said copy and goto details. then change the Source section to your modified file.. Like so..

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/1907/msn26nt.jpg

Then save as usual.

Any problems. give me a shout

Python5..

Edited by Python5

@python5

have you installed you modifued setup with the included patched files on it? i did but nothing was patched (i also renamed the patched files as ou said). i just did a RAR SFX archive to silently extract and overwrite the patched files and this way is working well.

can anyone confirm if the python5 method works for any of you? here isnt working. i think something else must be changed in order to use the patched files as source in the setup but really dont know what.

i just wanted to know if you installed your own modified setup with patched files included (not overwriten, just as source files) as i cant get it patched even if i choose the source files to be the patched ones.

the method that works for me now is to modify as a i said in this topic and to overwrite the patched files with a RAR SFX archive.

i wont download you setup because i need to do this in spanish for some users at my work. though i am trying this in both spanish and english laguages. but thanks anyway.

if you take a look again at my picture you will see that the 4 row are the same, even with the same values on them. just change the values as i said.

@python

have you tried again to use your modified setup wih the patched files on it to see if it works on another machine?

try uninstalling your msn, then delete the msn messenger folder in your program files folder then install your modified setup to see if it works.

if not, just use a RAR SFX archive to extract and overwrite silently both files. this works well with me.

i tried another time but nothing, my unattended msn don't work, can someone help us more?!!!

you posted a few days ago that you already tested my method and worked with you.

what isnt working for you? the messpatch patched files overwrite? they work. i have tested myself.

just install the normal messenger or the modified setup and then use the messpatch. grab both patched files called msgslang.dll and msnmsgr.exe

you just need to overwrite them silently using an SFX archive. i use winrar for this. if you dont know how to reate an SFX archive its simple. look the einrar help or do this: add both files to patched.rar then open this file and choose SFX in the toolbar. goto sfx options make path like this %systemdrive%\Program Files\MSN Messenger\ then in modes tab select hide all and overwrite all files. save the file and it will be called patched.exe execute it after the modified setup and this way all works.