[Question] Searching for a new router

Wicket20519

I bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless router back in August '05. I had heard great things about the router and I needed to upgrade from my 802.11b Netgear router. I get the router, but am too busy with work and school to set it up until a couple months later.

When I finally open it, I flash the firmware (it's 4.20 something) and set everything straight (security, login, etc). Ever since then, the router has kicked EVERYONE off the wireless network just about every other week or so. Once kicked off, I can't even ping the router. I tried resetting the router, changing from 2.4 to 5.8 ghz phones, moving the microwave, upgrading my wireless adapters. Nada.

I call Linksys support; I've done everything they asked. So the tech says change Beaconing to 50, and the RTS and Framerate Thresholds to 2307 (don't know the number off the top of my head). If it doesn't work, call back and they'll give me an RMA number. The router only lasts another two weeks.

Since then, the stupid piece of junk has been sitting on my desktop computer, waiting for an RMA number from Linksys (been too busy to call).

My current setup is this:

Netgear MR814v2 router

2 Desktop computers w/ Zonet ZEW2500P 802.11g USB2.0 Adapters (which are VERY nice)

2 Wireless laptop clients w/ built in wireless adapters

On my desktop, I play lots of games and watch lots of videos on websites such as CollegeHumor, YouTube, Apple, etc.

For the other desktop and one of the laptops, they use AIM and watch videos, also. No games.

I realize that wireless is NOT the best option for gaming; however, at this time I cannot lay down any wire for a LAN.

Could anyone suggest a router that a) actually WORKS, B) runs at 802.11g (54mbps), and c) supports WPA-PSK, MAC address filtering, etc?

I've checked newegg, and the top router is the Linksys one I already have. I don't want to update my adapters since I JUST got them. Any help would be much appreciated!

i have that same router(netgear) and i know what u mean, so i bought my dad a wireless adapter and put the router+modem in my room :)

i bought that same adapter that u did for my dad, wow those are 2 big coincidinces

what is ur budget?

Well, for one thing, you'll never get the full 54Mbps rate. But here go some routers. BTW, all of these routers offer at least 108Mbps speeds and are under $100, and offer WPA-SPK as well as MAC address filtering:

TRENDnet TEW-611BRP

BELKIN F5D8230-4

BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54

ASUS WL-520g

BUFFALO WHR-G54S

Airnet AWR014G8

TRENDnet TEW-511BRP

Edited by m3n70r

Actually, there's nothing wrong with that particular model. I have two of them at home here. The problem lies in the fact that Linksys decided to change the firmware in these routers from V5 onwards. They got rid Linux and put some POS firmware on these routers.

Call up Linksys, get an RMA to return the current one and ask them to send you WRT54GL.....WRT54GL.

Its exactly the same as the one you have right now, but guess what the 'L stands for? :sneaky:

Like bigpoppapump said, the WRT54G v1-v4 were good routers, but then Linksys decided to go with VXworks (or whatver) for the firmware.

I've got the v2 on my desk with the 7 dBi antennae, and it's fantastic. On the other hand, the default Linksys firmware sucks... but with HyperWRT+tofu13c (link) it's great. :)

That sounds like a dud router to me. Something with the hardware is wrong. I'd just keep bothering Linksys (call them every day) to get an RMA - just make sure that they don't send you the v5 firmware! Be absolutely insistant that they send you either v4 or the WRT54GL (which is essentially the WRT54G v4).

I doubt n will be here even next year simply because America likes to do things differently than the rest of the world...and for some reason the frequency required for the n series of wireless, that is already being used so the specs are being rewrtitte and reratified so expect 802.11n taking off in the rest of the world whereas the US will be stuck implementing it a year after the rest of the world has it....

Is everyone using the WiFi running XP? XP's built in wireless service is flawed and MS has yet (won't) fix it. I believe the problem has to do with networks that do not have a defined SSID. The WiFi service drops the connection after a short time (~5min). If I remember correctly, a few possible fixes to this:

In the nic properties, disable "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" and turn off XP firewall.

or

Disable XP's built in Wireless Service. Install and only use Linksys's Wifi connection tool.

or

Define a SSID in the router and enable full authentication

In any case, define Static IP's for all WiFi users and in the router define the IP and DNS for the actual internet instead of using DHCP.

I'm using the built-in XP Wireless Service on my wife's machine without any problems. I do, however, have an SSID defined as well as using WPA PSK. Both devices (router and NIC) are Linksys products.

Her machine experienced the same problems prior to XP SP2 though.

I'm using the Ralink Wireless Utility that comes packaged with the drivers for my Zonet adapters.

I did call Linksys today (after waiting on the phone for nearly an HOUR) and the guy said he'd e-mail me the RMA number. I haven't gotten the e-mail yet. If I don't get it in the next 24 hours, I'll try again.