Why does my install think its an upgrade?

I attempted to create an unttended install CD using Volume Media. When I go and use it I get the following error message.

Setup cannot find a previous version of Windows installed on your computer. To continue, Setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product.

What did I do wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the Winnt.sif file I'm using.

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

;AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="1"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=YES

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="Blah"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

AutoLogon=Yes

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=35

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

FullName="Blah"

OrgName="Blah

ComputerName=*

[Display]

BitsPerPel=16

Xresolution=800

YResolution=600

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=No

[NetAdapters]

Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]

INFID=*

[NetClients]

MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]

MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

[NetProtocols]

MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]

DNS=Yes

DNSSuffixSearchOrder=usstr.footlocker.net,apstr.footlocker.net,woolworth.com,footlocker.net

UseDomainNameDevolution=No

EnableLMHosts=Yes

AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]

SpecificTo=Adapter1

DHCP=Yes

WINS=No

NetBIOSOptions=0

I am positive I'm using a VLM CD. The company I work for has a Volume license agrement and I'm using that media.

I also modified my Winnt.sif file to include both the UnattendSwitch and Win9xUpgrade values to avail.

Could my problem be with the boot.img and volume label on the CD?

I'm using the boot.img file from CDImage program found here on the site.

The CD volume label is XRMPVOL_EN. This is the same label on the original media.

I have the same issue. I created an XP Volume License install and it worked great. My Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Volume License install is doing the same thing. It is looking for a previouse version of windows.

Hi I have a VLM CD with the same label and I have copied your winnt.sif just running it thru VMWARE now I let you know..............

Line 25 of your winnt.sif is invalid.........

right all works ok with the first part of the file changed

[Data]

;AutoPartition=1 the ( ; ) is invalid

MsDosInitiated="1"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

changed the Below to your winnt.sif and it works fine with VMWARE

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

Repartition=Yes

FileSystem=ConvertNTFS

ExtendOemPartition = 1

UnattendSwitch="yes"

The entries marked in red are my additions :-)

hope that helps on another note the "Welcome to windows" msg popped up on my VLM Unattened disc i narrowed it down to the OEMdriverspath not being in the correct format, just in case it happens to you

Edited by p4ntb0y

Hey, I think I may have figured this out. I tried a couple of things at once because I am in a hurry right now. I'll go back and do it again this weekend and then edit this post, but, to get you going...

I went to the MSDN downloads site and grabbed the VL 2003 Server that I needed. I talked to someone that said that they had a similar problem when trying to do an RIS with Windows 2000 with a version of the OS that came from an MSDN disk that had multiple OS versions on it. Something about a mismatch between the txtsetup.sif file and the fact that the disks that have multiple OSes on them are not for deployment, yak yak yak. So, I grabbed the Retail 2003 VL .iso from MSDN and then used the files from that to build the unattended install. While doing that, I also decided to make sure that the volume label that I gave my .iso that was made by CDImageGui was the same volume label that the .iso I downloaded had, and, I named my .iso file the same name as the downloaded file. I doubt that this had anything to do with it, but you may want to download the MSDN file and if that doesn't work, then set the volume label. Mine is working now.

:thumbup

I've just finished making a multilple OS disc and had a similar problem but was able to figure it out by comparing my install to Gosh's reduced source guide part 2.

Are you placing your I386 folder at the root of your drive or are you placing it in a subfolder?

If the I386 isn't at the root of the drive, windows can't find it until you edit TXTSETUP.SIF to reflect the new location.

The specific line to change is:

SetupSourcePath = "\"

to

SetupSourcePath = "\Directory Containing I386\"

So if you put I386 in a subfolder called WinXP, then the line would be:

SetupSourcePath = "\WinXP\"

This is how you can add multiple Windows OS' that have I386 directories that are slightly different. :)

Hope this solves your problem

I started to use the nLite utility to create my bootable ISO file and ever since I have not had the problem. Apparently the boot.img file I was using previously was casuing my problems.

Thanks, to all who have responded.