[Question] XP activation / authentication

HippieCat

Ok, I am running into some really big problems here, at home, and in the field.

I am running into problems with Activation and Authentication.

All XP installatins are being done with the customers legit XP CD.

In a lot of cases I am having problems with Activation. No problem, a very annoying call fixes that.

Now Authentication problems are arising, in some cases, when using XP's update. No way around that, that I know of.

In some cases I need to Authenticate to get Custom Updates though XP's update feature.

Someone please tell me what to do when this happens.

Also, I have some questions:

1. How many hardware changes are we allowed before Activation starts giving us a headache?
  2. How many reinstalls without hardware changes are we allowed?
  3. Anyone have a rough estimate on how much it is to purchase another key, and will it fix all the above problems, at least till I reach that magic number again?

I reinstall XP A LOT so I really need to know this stuff and Microsoft will not tell me. They keep dancing around the question when asked.

Personally I am so frusterated I am ready to give Microsoft the boot and go straight Linux, but some of my customers arn't.

Thanks for your time on this matter.

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

Please follow XP Forum Rules from now on.

--Sonic

Edit: Thanks Sonic, I was going to go back and edit it myself, after I saw I forgot to do it, but soon found out I can't edit my title.

--HippieCat

Edited by HippieCat

Anyone have a rough estimate on how much it is to purchase another key, and will it fix all the above problems, at least till I reach that magic number again?
However much a volume license costs. No activation, forever.

Your license must be used one time in one moment. While this rule is okay, you can change your hardware without any restrictions, but you must call Microsoft to activate it after 3 internet activations (in oem version). If you have a oem version like Acer, Dell and co. you must always phone Microsoft to activate windows.

Windows Product Activation ask re-activation when motherboard is changed radically, sometimes windows is blind and no problem but sometimes it see minor changes and you must re-activate. I havn't found the perfect law to find when WPA ask re-activation yet.

To use windows update just enter java script:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') into the address bar at the screen where you choose custom or express install, then click go and choose custom - volia!

I think it's 5 hardware changes as long as you don't change the motherboard. 3 if you do. You'll always get the Product activation thing unless you get the volume license key.

[/qoute]

For OEM it actualy was only on the PC you bought the OEM-licence for,

after new clarification MS made clear that you can change anything BUT the mother board (unless due to a warrenty claim).

Your license must be used one time in one moment. While this rule is okay, you can change your hardware without any restrictions, but you must call Microsoft to activate it after 3 internet activations (in oem version).

this is NOT true, you may only install an OEM licence on a the OEM- computer, even if youd deside to install linux on that machine you cant install your XP on another (OEM's are NON-transferable), as soon as you upgrade the mobo (outside of warenty, you lose the licence)

if you want to transfere (or be alowed to do so in the future) buy a Retail licence

To use windows update just enter java script:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') into the address bar at the screen where you choose custom or express install, then click go and choose custom - volia!
Old method, doesn't work anymore. M$ was rather slow to notice that though!

You have to type in -- java script:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') make sure to take notice that thier is no space between java and script also make sure that you have capitals that need to be there.

I think it's 5 hardware changes as long as you don't change the motherboard. 3 if you do. You'll always get the Product activation thing unless you get the volume license key.

Actually if you replace the motherboard, Microsoft sees it as a new computer, so they force you to buy a new key :(

Mine opinion and personal experience :

When you call to Microsoft and explain your status, they allow to activate your license. Even with "OEM" license, if the motherboard is break, and don't want to return the manufacturer but you want just repair in local shop, the "transfer license" is tolered, it's legitimate.