Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

A Multiple Partition USB Stick with Multi Boot OS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

stevesumner

stevesumner
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 17-June 07
Hey cheers for that jaclaz, really useful info.

I have tried your method and just want to check a couple of things.

I should use XP's format to format the USB to FAT, then copy BartPE files to the USB.
Then copy ntldr and boot.ini from c: drive and also copy grldr.
Then edit boot.ini to have the line
C:\GRLDR="Grub4dos"
and
title PE/BartPE/Winbuilder
chainloader /setupldr
or similar. Is that right?

And that's all?

My boot.ini looks like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
C:\GRLDR="Grub4dos"
title BartPE
chainloader /setupldr

Edited by stevesumner, 19 June 2007 - 05:12 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Well, NO, the:
title BartPE
chainloader /setupldr
goes into the menu.lst file, sorry for the mistyping :(.

To further clarify, NTLDR looks for choices in boot.ini.

Grub4dos' grldr, grldr.mbr and grub.exe look for choices in menu.lst.

Syntax of menu.lst entries is detailed in the download and docs, briefly here is an example of a complete menu.lst:
# This is a basic menu.lst file for GRUB4DOS, in the version for ezG4DOS.
# You can make changes to it.

# Following lines load a splashimage and set text foreground/background colour
# splashimage /GRUB4DOS/ezG4DOS.xpm.gz
foreground  = 69ed4e
background  = 337326

# Following line is the choice for colours when background image is NOT SET
# (see above) they are commented out as a splashimage is SET  
# color black/cyan yellow/cyan

# Following is the timeout for the default choice
# By not pressing any key during the timeout, the default will be chosen
timeout 10
# Following is the menu item that will default
default 0

# This reflects the "normal" behaviour of a PC
# i.e. booting the first partition of first harddisk
# By setting it as default with timeout 10 seconds (see above)
# We try to replicate somehow the "Press any key to boot from CD..." message
# of Microsoft Install CDs, this way if no key is pressed, as an example for 
# unattended installs, the system will boot "normally" even if CD is inserted
# of course if the "any" you press is [ENTER] system will boot from this entry
title Boot Hard Disk MBR on (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
rootnoverify (hd0)

title Win98.ima memdisk Boot
find --set-root /grldr
kernel /memdisk.gz
initrd /win98.ima

title Win98 HD
find --set-root /IO.SYS
chainloader /IO.SYS

title BartPE
find --set-root /setupldr.bin
chainloader /setupldr.bin

title NTLDR
find --set-root /NTLDR
chainloader /NTLDR

I am correcting my previous post. :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 20 June 2007 - 05:47 AM.

MI4C

MI4C
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 10-July 08
EDIT: read post #31, to get better instructions.

Just got finished USB-Uber stick.
USB trippleboot containing UBCD, DOS & CentOS.

First I follow Markymoo's instructions:

A Multiple Partition USB Stick with Multi Boot OS

Scroll down for 5/4/2006 update

I wanted several operating systems on a USB stick and after many hours messing with syslinux, memdisk, grub4dos, xosl, freedos, avlgomgr, acronis os selector, ranish partition manager. I have succumbed. I first started out wanting to boot an iso off USB and ran into trouble loading large img with memdisk which I found out is due to a bug in msdos so I used freedos but things didn’t work out as planned and it’s a similar woe story’s with the rest. Acronis os selector lets you boot multiple os from one partition from different folders but don’t work great when it comes to dos.

I have 5 partitions on my USB stick and using the boot loader BootIt NG http://www.bootitng.com/bootitng.html This is a 30 day trial. There’s a iso boot image inside the zip you need to burn to cd.

Now I wasn’t happy just putting one os on my USB stick. I wanted linux and diagnostic tools etc.

I now have what I think is the easiest helpful solution below.

Stage 1.

Ok XP can only see one partition on a removable USB but if change the USB driver to a fixed disk driver then XP will see it as a hard drive then we can have lay down multiple partitions as we like. Now open regedit and goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR
and double click on USBSTORE and you see a subkey below it, select the first subkey below USBSTORE and right click and select Copy Key Name

Here is mine, yours maybe different.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_Flash_Disk&Rev_0.00

Now we need only need this part:

USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_Flash_Disk&Rev_0.00

Copy and paste it temporarily into notepad.

You will now need this driver. http://www.xpefiles....wtopic.php?t=92
Unpack it to a folder on your desktop. Inside the folder is the file cfadisk.inf. You need to open this file and scroll down to you see the line %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install, specific data
Now you need to replace all lines %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install, specific data with
the line you copied from your registry like so.

%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_Flash_Disk&Rev_0.00

There could be more lines so replace all and save the file.

Goto Device Manager and click on disk drives. You see your USB listed, dbl click on it and goto the driver tab and click update driver and install from a specific location and choose the driver to install and click on Have Disk and browse to the cfadisk.inf file your modified driver on your desktop and force that to replace your existing driver. It might ask you to reboot. You should now have your USB showing as Local Disk

We want your first partition dos bootable so run HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. I’m using version 2.1.8. Select your drive letter of your USB device and select "Create a DOS startup disk" and browse to your 98 boot disk folder. Click Start. Your USB will be formatted and 3 files will be copied from your dos startup files. You need to manually copy the rest of the 98 boot files to your USB drive.

You can now resize the drive (mines 512MB) and create multiple partitions. All partition software now sees it as a fixed disk. I used acronis disk director and resized the partition keeping the first dos bootable partition intact and made another 4 fat partitions so I had 5 in total.

Make sure your format all partitions as Primary not Logical.

So this way makes it easy to load multiple iso using ramdisk also.

After this I made another stick only containing UBCD, because when I use UBCD own script it wipes whole stick as 1 partition containing only UBCD.
- Windows XP or Vista (32-bit):
Connect small ~ 150 MB small USB stick to computer.
Mount UBCD and open command prompt, next go to the \tools\ubcd2usb folder and type ubcd2usb.bat D: E: (the D: is my cdrom and E: is stick).

Now I have 1 stick containing UBCD only and another stick which seems to be as local disk.
- WinImage software:
Next thing is that I read the UBCD stick with WinImage software. and after that I write the data to the other stick.
I notice that the other stick has now the data, but the MBR is missing, so I choose "edit master boot record properties" and save the mbr to bin file from UBCD stick to local disk and after that I import saved mbr to the other stick.

Now I have stick containing UBCD with plenty room on it.
- GParted:
I modify flags to hide UBCD partition just in case not to lose the partition and then create new partition for DOS I also give the boot flag to this partition.

- DOS boot
Now boot computer with DOS boot floppy and format the partition which created earlier, remember to format to bootable.

If everything went ok, if changed the boot flag with GParted I get either UBCD or DOS boot.
Now I have two boots on the stick.

Next I boot with CentOS 5.1 DVD and make custom partitioning. I create the OS root partition to the rest of stick (no swap or other partitions).
To the bootloader I add the hidden UBCD /dev/sda1 to the bootmenu and I choose advanced and install the bootloader to the /dev/sda3. Then I choose custom install on packages, and take everything else away but editors and BASE install. After I have installed the system, I used GParted to manage the flags once more. Now I put the boot flag to the /dev/sda3.

After reboot the stick finds GRUB, which has the other to boots (DOS and UBCD).

Sorry this bad English etc, hope this helps some ppl, who tries to do the same as I did. Enjoy.

Edited by MI4C, 17 July 2008 - 11:25 PM.

MI4C

MI4C
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 10-July 08
I noticed that the extra mbr.bin import is not necesary.
Also that the first partition of the stick is viewable on normal computers, which is in my earlier post ~150 MB.

Now question to others, how could I grow the UBCD partition ~5 GB without 5 GB UBCD stick?
If I try to resize the stick with GParted the mbr brokes and partition magic can't even recognice the partition after I have used the ubcd script.
Is there any way to fool operating system with ex. virtual hd (safe way) that I could create ~5 GB UBCD partition (with mbr), I think that the mbr somehow has information of partition table and if partition is touched it doesn't anymore match to the information kept in mbr.

The bad side is that if I run the ubcd2usb.bat the script makes whole hd to same partition, I check'd that there is missing partitioning posibility on the running script (maybe if I get custom binary for this). The script formats the disk by checking %device%, so if I create virtual disk (also have to dig how to do it), could it be recogniced as device also?

Edited by MI4C, 11 July 2008 - 10:04 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
MI4C,
sorry, but I do not understand what you are trying to do.

If what you are asking for is to create Virtual hard disks of given size/geometry or "manually" formatting a USB stick, you may find these batches useful MBRBATCH/MKIMG:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=3191
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5000

Otherwise, can you re-describe what you are trying to do?

jaclaz

MI4C

MI4C
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 10-July 08
jaclaz, sorry for so fuzzy posting.

I got the stick working just like I wanted.
The virtual disk thing didn't work and some other things either didn't work.

Here is description how to make 8 GB stick, containing DOS, UBCD 4.1.0 (ultimate boot CD) and Cent OS.

You need 2 USB stick (8 GB and 150 MB or bigger), gparted liveCD, UBCD 4.1.0 CD, dos boot floppy and Cent OS installation media.
No need to do the markymoo's thing described earlier.

First create the small USB stick with the UBCD script (which is located on the UBCD CD \tools\ubcd2usb) ubcd2usb.bat D: E: (the D: is my UBCD CD and E: is stick).
Then create with gparted 3 partitions to the bigger stick. I create 5 GB, exact size of the small stick and rest to the linux. Format each as FAT32 and manage flags that only 5 GB partition is not hidden. Boot with the dos boot floppy and format the 5 GB partition with startup disk option. Test that the stick boots to the created partition. After this connect both stick to computer and boot with gparted, you can check with gparted which stick is the small and bigger stick. Open terminal and type dd if=/dev/sda# of=/dev/sdb2 (the sda is the smaller stick and # should be the number where the UBCD is, I had it somehow on sda4, you can check that number from the gparted partition manage window). Now we have copied UBCD partition (including the data) from the smaller stick to the bigger. Remove the hidden flag from the sdb3.

Next boot with CentOS 5.1 DVD and make custom partitioning. Create the OS root partition to the sda3 (no swap or other partitions).
To the bootloader add the hidden UBCD /dev/sda2 to the bootmenu, the bootloader can be installed to the mbr, so no advanced settings needed. Choose custom install on packages, and take everything else away but editors and BASE install. After os installation the stick is ready.

My problem was earlier that I didn't find a way how to get the UBCD partition to the second partition (because the UBCD function break-up if the partition size is changed, don't know why) and windows XP only sees the first partition of the stick, even if the partition is hidden. I found that if I create an image of this tripple boot stick and restore it, it somehow break-up. I can still clone the stick with the linux dd command which I used earlier in the instructions.

Edited by MI4C, 17 July 2008 - 11:29 PM.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,828 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03

with both password and fingerprint protection, so nobody, even the police, will not be able to see unauthorized information

I agree with Jaclaz! Any prepared person with physical access to the thumb-drive can have your info in a matter of a handful of days, if not hours.

I haven't had much experience bypassing print readers, but am assured and have witnessed them being bypassed with things as simple as a COPY (Yes a Xerox-type copy) bypassing them. Plus if it's on the thumb-drive itself you can be assured its not too sophisticated of one.

As for the password I have bypassed many passwords in the past on things from bios to windows to programs. It's not hard and there is ready access to tons of programs that will nicely or, by brute force bypass nearly any password...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 15 December 2008 - 03:43 AM.

Fixt00l

Fixt00l
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 08-January 07
Hello, thanks for the reply, and I am sorry fot any wrong approach.I own licensed versions of both XP and Vista, I have 2 PCs, and I need to reinstall windows very frequently, a clean install, an image file recovery won`t help me.I will use my flash memory to reinstall the OS as soon as the **** encoding fails and messes up my system32, which happens at least once ever 2 weeks.I live in Bulgaria, where the law that any policeman can seize anything from people, with no document or order from a judge, means the Police can steal anything they want from people and never return it.The EU court is aware of this, the procedure is long, so, this is another story.I don`t want my flash stick seized and my licenses literally stolen, last time a friend of mine was a victim of police literally stealing his PC with a valid Windows sticker, from his office.The policeman even asked him if the PC was good enough for videogaming...Now, communism is evil, as you might know.I want a single flash drive to ensure and backup both my PCs, and nothing more, nothing illegal, if I would want something illegal, I do not think I would post it online so everyone can see it.Well, I hope this is the right approach...And, do not worry, the police do not have any experts, as when they took a PC, I just disconnected the SATA cable, and they nevery made the windows boot :blink:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
You might be happy to know that one of the main contributors in the "install XP from USB" thingie is ilko_t, from Bulgaria. :thumbup

You can find some info on the procedure also in your native language:
http://www.hardwareb...ad.php?t=102363

jaclaz

andyd

andyd

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 29-March 05
Hopefully someone can help with this question...

How would I make something like UBCD bootable within this environment? It has it's own partition but how do I properly point to it? is it that wingrub / grup will automatically point to the right files?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Hopefully someone can help with this question...

How would I make something like UBCD bootable within this environment? It has it's own partition but how do I properly point to it? is it that wingrub / grup will automatically point to the right files?

Something like UBCD or UBCD?

UBCD has been in latest releases modified as to allow use of both Isolinux/Syslinux and grub4dos.

However the steps are more or less the same.

See here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=6119
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=7312

For a "generic" DOS based floppy image, start from here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=3963

jaclaz

andyd

andyd

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 29-March 05
I meant booting an iso of some sort. Like say if I want to be able to add Acronis True Image to the boot as well

I'll give the links a look - thanks!

Edited by andyd, 25 May 2009 - 09:07 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I meant booting an iso of some sort. Like say if I want to be able to add Acronis True Image to the boot as well

Boy, do I hate the use of the "any": each .iso and each OS has it's own story. :ph34r:

Read here:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=6896&st=4

And here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5041 (post #4 is for Acronis)

jaclaz

andyd

andyd

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 29-March 05
Well I meant more towards bootable tools etc but yeah I guess it was inappropriate :P Thanks for the links. I actually registered and have been asking around there too.

Freshbie

Freshbie
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 27-June 09
Hello guys

I try to follow the guide but i cannot create primary partition more than 4. My storage is 80GB 2.5" hdd in usb enclosure.

Does it need to be primary for booting the OS?

I need to make 6 partition like this

1. XP setup
2. Vista Setup
3. Seven Setup
4. Linux Setup
5. Ghost Image for boot
6. Program setup for each OS

Now i can boot from Grub4Dos 0.4.4 and can see the menu
But cannot boot !!

Could anyone guide me the rest of this ?

PS. i need windows setup partition to be NTFS but i am not sure for linux and else, please tell me what it should be?

Edited by Freshbie, 27 June 2009 - 09:49 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
@Freshbie

This guide, though still largely valid, is a bit oldish.

Newer releases of grub4dos have added features, and solutions/workarounds were found for most problems.

BUT, you seem to have started, just like all "freshbies" do ;), with a very ambitious project, without having (yet) digested the needed background knowledge.

There is NO way you can have more than 4 Primary partitions on any hard disk, for the simple reason that there are 4 entries in the partition table in the MBR.

You can have a standard setup:
1 primary partition + any number of logical volumes inside extended partition
OR
a maximum of 3 primary partitions + any number of logical volumes inside extended partition
OR
a maximum of 4 primary partitions

The above is NOT negotiable, though there are a couple of (relatively complex) workarounds to do that, but the whole point is that you need NOT more than 4 primary partitions.

Another thing that you may want to note is that you simply won't be able to install XP from a USB harddisk unless you use one of the apps in the dedicated forum (or replicate manually what they do).

What you should do is browse, search and READ both here:
http://www.msfn.org/...p?showforum=157
and here:
http://www.boot-land...hp?showforum=66
(start from the pinned topics in both forums)

Using this app:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=120444
you will have most of the things you asked for, then you will need to integrate the results with the other items.

jaclaz

Freshbie

Freshbie
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 27-June 09
Very glad to hear from you !! Jaclaz

I now success to install XP Pro from my first partition.

I have read the thread you give me here.

It seems like, one who will truely understand must have technically knowledge on it.

If something i don't get it, i hope i can ask for your help :sneaky:

Lastly i will try to make my HDD boot from extended partition on logical disk.
I will see if i can do it and will report here for us all to study from it.

My primary concern for now is, Can i boot XP pro, Vista, Seven on same partition?
And for XP can i use the same partition for different version of XP?

Thanks alot !!

Freshbie

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

My primary concern for now is, Can i boot XP pro, Vista, Seven on same partition?
And for XP can i use the same partition for different version of XP?

Only up to a certain extent.
For complex/multiversion setups, I guess this:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=121446
or a similar approach, running the actual setup from an already booted PE of some kind is easier/better.

Lastly i will try to make my HDD boot from extended partition on logical disk.
I will see if i can do it and will report here for us all to study from it.

Good :)

Read these:
http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/
http://www.goodells....boot/ptedit.htm
and this only partially unrelated thread, that may however give you some ideas:
http://www.boot-land...?...ic=7138&hl=

jaclaz

Freshbie

Freshbie
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 27-June 09
Thanks Jaclaz.

The post you give to me is very interesting.
I try to follow and adapt to my use

Now i got an idea. If i use multiple folder to keep setup files instead of mutipartition.
How can i tell grub4dos to boot the loader inside the folder?

And now after i install a windows to my computer, i got a problem that my computer see any external HDD as a removable disk
then i can see only first partition. I use winsetupfromusb. I think i have to fix a migrate.inf but don't know how :blushing:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Now i got an idea. If i use multiple folder to keep setup files instead of mutipartition.
How can i tell grub4dos to boot the loader inside the folder?

You can tell grub4dos almost everything you want, and it will probably do what you told it to do, but the problem remains with the HARDCODED paths and more generally NOT FLEXIBLE way the Windows Setup works.
In other words, I doubt that you will succeed with your idea. :(

And now after i install a windows to my computer, i got a problem that my computer see any external HDD as a removable disk
then i can see only first partition. I use winsetupfromusb. I think i have to fix a migrate.inf but don't know how :blushing:

migrate.inf is only needed/useful to assign letters to a drive partition (differently from wht setup would do automatically).

If all your USB hard disk are shown as "Removable", there are two possibilities:
  • all your USB hard disks are "Removable" ;)
  • somehow you managed to have installed/running the "reversed" dummydisk.sys Filter Driver :w00t:

I haven't handy any install on which the rdummy.sys is installed/running, but it should be in the Registry in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\rdummy]
(or somethng similar)

jaclaz

honda4life

honda4life
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-October 07
Confirmed to work on Windows 7 build 7600 RTM

You should try it's great :P and you can find test keys from microsoft btw

Andrews

Andrews

• 32 posts
  • Joined 07-May 10
Hello Markymoo,

I know a long time passed since you wrote your tutorial, and that is why I post this because your tutorial is good no matter the bites by other people. What is bad, indeed, is that some of the most important links you provided just go to a 404 page nowadays. Also, OSs have changed since and uses evolved. I wonder if you are planing to rewrite this tutorial.
The more I deal with people, the more I love my dog. - Oscar Wilde.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

What is bad, indeed, is that some of the most important links you provided just go to a 404 page nowadays.

Post the actual links you are interested in (and that give you a 404) and I'll try to post updated/corrected ones.

jaclaz

Andrews

Andrews

• 32 posts
  • Joined 07-May 10

Post the actual links you are interested in (and that give you a 404) and I'll try to post updated/corrected ones.

jaclaz

Thank you jaclaz. Here they are:

The driver
http://www.xpefiles....wtopic.php?t=92

spfdisk
http://spfdisk.sourc...et/Spf2K3rE.exe

The length of this thread and containing so many additions, some of them useful, makes it of difficult reading, and regarding its utility it would be nice to have something fresher and more compact. I am too dumb to do it.

Edit
I've found the new version of Spf2K3rE.exe, the spfdisk container; it has not exactly the same name now (Spf2K3vC.exe). For the driver, much more important, I can't even guess its name.

On my searches I found that the initial post on this thread has been stolen ans republished without any reference on this forum page:
http://www.ittaleem....ead.php?t=50251

Edited by Andrews, 11 May 2010 - 07:32 PM.

The more I deal with people, the more I love my dog. - Oscar Wilde.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Well, first link is about the "Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver" actual name of the driver is cfadisk.sys, the archive is named XPfildrvr1224_320.zip, or sometimes XPfildrvr1224.zip it can be found here:
http://xpefiles.com/cs/files/
http://xpefiles.com/...e/entry616.aspx
http://xpefiles.com/...6/download.aspx

JFYY, there is another similar driver, widely used called dummydisk.sys, by Anton Bassov:
http://www.codeproje...ct_hooking.aspx
and there is a "reversed driver" called rdummy.sys (making a fixed drive appear as removable) which is available inside USB_multiboot:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=111406

Second is a direct link to a version of spfdisk, as you found out, on the home page of spfdisk:
http://spfdisk.sourceforge.net/
which is now DEAD (since what? 2008?) but can be still accessed through The Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.o...ourceforge.net/
http://web.archive.o...ourceforge.net/
http://web.archive.o...et/Spf2K3tE.exe
See this also:
http://www.iceteks.c...spfdiskreview/1
The C should mean Chinese version, the E means English, so I guess you got the wrong one. :unsure:
The actual SPFDISK.EXE should be 2006-09-05 01:49 119662 bytes in side.

Generally speaking, if you spend some time in this, you will be surprised about how many people "rip" info and posts without mentioning the original Author.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 12 May 2010 - 04:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users