Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

cmd is not a valid win32 application

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

xpmaniac4ever

xpmaniac4ever

We would change the world if God would give us the sourcecode

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 29-November 04
After I installed Microsoft`s Monad Shell beta 3, when I try to run cmd it says "cmd is not a valid win32 application". If I run cmd.exe it works. This happens to all exe`s on my computer. After I uninstall Monad Shell, the problem remains. The problem is that all my batch files refuse to work now. Any ideas how can I fix this ?
Live and fly. Love and die.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

HybridShadow

HybridShadow

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Joined 09-March 05
The cmd file must be corrupt, try and get it of your XP cd, it may be named cmd.ex_ , just run a search on the xp cd for cmd you should find it. If it is ex_ then you need to rename the extension to something like rar or zip then extract the file because obviously you cant use the dos based expand program.

Scubar

Scubar

- Local Smartass -

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Joined 20-May 05
Sounds like it may have changed a few settings in your registry. This regfile should put all the settings for cmd, bat and exe files back to the original settings.

[attachment=11545:attachment]

xpmaniac4ever

xpmaniac4ever

We would change the world if God would give us the sourcecode

• PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Joined 29-November 04
Thanx ScubaSteve. Tried your reg and still have the problem. Any exe that I run from Start\Run doesn`t work if I don`t provide the extension.
ex:
cmd.exe works
cmd doesn`t
Live and fly. Love and die.

WolfX2

WolfX2

Werewolf? Here's Wolf! :P

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 680 posts
  • Joined 20-January 06
ever heard of system restore ;)

NaelAmer

NaelAmer

• 49 posts
  • Joined 01-April 06
Open ur System32 folder located at your windows folder, you should find 2 CMD files, (cmd.exe, cmd.com), that cmd.com shouldnt be there, just delete it with brave heart ;) try it now :w00t:

* this in case only cmd is not working at run *

Edited by NaelAmer, 01 April 2006 - 05:13 AM.

gwerjo

gwerjo
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 26-April 06
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to NaelAmer for that solution. This problem has been bugging me for months. Even up reloading XP just to get over it - in my case it was Regedit as well as CMD that wouldn't work.

Major bottomer!

Anyway just as you suggested, had a look in system32 and indeed there were 5 or 6 zero-byte .com files (including ping and tracert). Knock them off and all is well.

Any ideas what might have caused this?? After reloading XP the problem was resolved (obviously) but then just seemed to pop back by magic.

Thanks again,

Gwerjo

Scubar

Scubar

- Local Smartass -

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Joined 20-May 05
dude if you have a cmd.com in ur system32 then you will most likely have spyware on your pc. i would suggest you run spybot, adware and trendmicros online housecall antivirus scanner immediately.

pranavvyas

pranavvyas
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 12-September 06

After I installed Microsoft`s Monad Shell beta 3, when I try to run cmd it says "cmd is not a valid win32 application". If I run cmd.exe it works. This happens to all exe`s on my computer. After I uninstall Monad Shell, the problem remains. The problem is that all my batch files refuse to work now. Any ideas how can I fix this ?

thanks a lot

eyeball

eyeball

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Joined 28-October 05
just noticed this thread and i was going to suggest looking for 0 byte files in system32 and also seeing if the sys32 directory was hidden, but it seems you found them.
iv seen this before and as far as i rememeber it was nothing to do with corrupt files and was a virus of somesort, could just be coincidence that you installed that theme at the same time, or the theme itself may have had some sort of malware in it.
just out of interest were you running anti-virus at the time?

Edited by eyeball, 16 December 2006 - 03:24 AM.

os2fan2

os2fan2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04
The problem seems to be related to the environment variable PATHEXT not being set. It should look like

PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

Try this: SETX -m PATHEXT .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH

exit that command prompt, and restart another one. See if the problem still happens.

W