HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

18E + HFCLEANUP = missing NT5.CAT
That *may* have been fixed in 18f.
But the HFEXPERT/WIN thing seems fixed. Thanks for all the help :thumbup
You know... It's strange that you never experienced this problem before, but OK... We're working with Altair Basic here... :) Edited by Tomcat76

318F w/hfcleanup+hfexpert -->txtsetup :thumbup dosnet still needs work, the file begins with the files added by hfcleanup. I'm assuming that there is no dosnet file in the sourcess\i386 folder prior to hfcleanup starting. Dosnet is not used for cd installs, so it doesn't really bother me.

I'm slowly beginning to run out of ideas, hehe. :D

18g does something (or rather doesn't do something) which I wanted to avoid. But if this fixes the problem with dosnet.inf I don't have a choice...

Edited by Tomcat76

It looks like we are back on track :thumbup

Now back to that CPL issue we were working on.... :whistle:

In HFEXPERT/WIN/SYSTEM32 I have:

03/14/2006  10:06p			   4,286 myuninst.cpi
11/25/2001 05:18p 131,072 myuninst.cpl
05/14/2005 08:02p 33,792 myuninst.exe

and in SOURCESS after HFSLIP_60318f-expert I get:

03/14/2006  10:06p			   4,286 myuninst.cpi
03/18/2006 02:23p 53,913 myuninst.cp_
03/18/2006 02:23p 29,325 myuninst.ex_

But on my installed VMWare system I end up with:

03/18/2006  07:23p			 131,072 myuninst.cpi
03/18/2006 07:23p 131,072 myuninst.cpl
03/18/2006 07:23p 33,792 myuninst.exe

The .CPL is getting copied over as the CPI and the CPL. The real CPI is gone.

Would you guys like to address this? If not, I can try to turn this into an addon (which I was considering anyway) and go around the problem.

Edited by TAiN

TC, Sorry about the dosnet thing. It was my error, I was removing that file with hfcleanup. Can you add this into the lower part of the hfcleanup section? (not a critical change at this point because you can't do a dos install with an hfcleanup'd source).

FROM THIS ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF d1,%%I

TO THIS IF EXIST SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF ECHO>>SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF d1,%%I

I just have to test the HFSLIP easter egg out to see if all is OK.

TC - 318G - verified the following: hfcleanup/hfexpert and hfslip easter egg. Both are good. I have to verify with a HFDRV set.

Tain/TC - I think this will help. There is a txtsetup.sif command to say that the file that is on the CD isn't compressed. Check this out. http://gosh.msfnhosting.com/txtsetup.htm Look at the _X part. I think (or hope?) this is relatively easy to incorporate into the script. This was lifted out of the 2k txtsetup.sif

autochk.exe = 2,,,,,,_x,2,0,0

The file is uncompressed, the _x tells the installer that the file is uncompressed. Hope this helps....

Good find! Gosh put out some great info...too bad he is MIA. Speaking of MIA...FDV and Oleg are sorely missed :/

And what about C&B, saugatak, Dirtwarrrior, and Bilou? Did we scare them away?

Edited by TAiN

If dosnet.inf wasn't an issue then 18f would've worked the same as 18g. I'll base the next tests on 18f then.

CPI/CPL...

You know... A while ago I changed the code to leave both CPI and CPL files extracted. But then I figured it would be better to compress one of the two again and I picked CPL... for these reasons:

1) There's no point in keeping both uncompressed

2) I believe all MS *.CP_ files are CPL files so it's better to overwrite them instead of creating duplicates (eg whatever.cp_ and whatever.cpl)

But apparantly Windows setup is too stupid to see the difference between myuninst.cp_ and myuninst.cpi...

I see two options:

1) Extract all *.CP_ files (even those from the source) and leave them like that

2) Try what Tommy suggests with the _x thing in txtsetup.sif (this I can't do in HFAAO)

Edited by Tomcat76

Option 2 sounds more prudent to me. :unsure:

Is it even an issue with HFAAO? I didn't think that they were processed until later...

Edited by TAiN

HFAAO is parsed before the source gets copied. You can try a few CPL addons if you like just to see if a fix is needed there as well. But, as said, it's too complicated to do the _x fix for addons.

Version 18h debuts the _x fix for CPI files in HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32.

Edit: it shouldn't be an issue for addons; CPL and CPI files are named differently so there's nothing for Windows setup to get confused with.

Edited by Tomcat76

:w00t: Woohoo! :thumbup

60318H-expert slipstreamed great with HFEXPERT/WIN/* and HFCLEANUP...and even the control panel additions work! /SYSTEM32 and HFAAO control panel files are all working properly now.

You guys RULE!

Well, its been about 18 hours since I cried about anything so how about another feature suggestion? :whistle:

I've noticed a few things happen when users have trouble. They/we:

-Don't post an error_report

-Put the text of error_report into their post

-Need to add another file that is requested by the devs

Maybe it would be easier if HFSLIP output an ERROR_REPORT.ZIP (or CAB) that contained:

-ERROR_REPORT.TXT
-HFSLIPWU.INF

And maybe even:

-TXTSETUP.SIF
-DRVINDEX.INF

But that may make a large zip. DRVINDEX isn't too bad, but TXTSETUP.SIF tends to be quite large even though text files compress well.

Anyway, this takes a few steps out of the user's hand and they can "just attach the zip."

Good find! Gosh put out some great info...too bad he is MIA. Speaking of MIA...FDV and Oleg are sorely missed :/

And what about C&B, saugatak, Dirtwarrrior, and Bilou? Did we scare them away?

Gosh was a she, BTW. To be sorta sexist (maybe?), female contributors on MSFN are rare to be sure. The only other one we have now and again is Wendy (OS2FAN2).

I'm around now and again as Super-Magician notes, but in a technical thread like this you've gotta remember that this is script-heavy, new-feature testing stuff, which is rare for me to participate in anyway... I have cruised Oleg_II's site and have not heard from him since like February. He appears quite gone to me, unfortunately. I hope he resurfaces.

I have been busy mostly with Windows 2003. Many of my test installs just die right after filecopy. I have had the modded setupapi for a while but I see I should have released instructions on it, so I have written them finally.

Ok, I'm gonna go back to plugging away again.

Random: I recommend the DVD "Primer" to you all. It's a great techie film about the head games that happen between two engineers when they accidentally create a time machine (it's not cheesy like Back to the Future or anything, it's really good!)