HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Just an FYI...

There was a problem with the last two test releases. The fix to properly interpret lowercase CD tag files when checking for the SP level didn't work. It's corrected in the new final.

Does that answer your question, Super-Magician? :D

:blushing:

I´m sad about that what i have to do, but I must report that the newest testrelease has a syntax error in Mdac_type line. A fresh builded Install CD: at the point Registering the Components comes the infoscreen that there is a syntax error in mdac setup. After finishing the installation i found mdac not installed.

So i´ve had a look to the line in hf_60422d and found a "1" after the switch "QN" at the end of the line.

I removed it and at time i build a new install source. :)

Edit: It wasn´t the "1" alone. I´ve found a MS-Article explaining the Syntax for Mdac and Dasetup. I´l try this.

Edited by wela

A quick note:

HFNetChk reports

Patch NOT Installed	 MS06-013	 Q912812
File C:\WIN\system32\mshtml.dll has a file version [6.0.2800.1543]
that is less than what is expected [6.0.2800.1544].

But according to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS06-013.mspx , latest is 6.0.2800.1543, not 1544.

Then, it seems I lack reg keys for 833987. Could someone send me "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB833987\Type" ? (just to see if it is the *only* missing thing)

MBSA and HFNetChk both reports 914798 is missing. Does anybody knows which files get update ?

I've been able to find :

Four of the six services identified (NetBT, SCardSvr, DHCP, DnsCache) require an attacker to already be running in a privileged security context. Additionally, the two services, SSDPSRV and UPNPHost, which allow an authenticated user to attack a vulnerable system are only vulnerable on Windows XP Service Pack 1

With nLite I removed UPnP so the error may come from this.

But HFNetChk also reports the missing reg key thing. ( SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB914798\Type )

Following updates are only reported by MBSA, not HFNetChk

I checked and 908531 contains an update for "Desktop Cleanup". I remove this component with nLite.

900725 has an update for a file I remove (fldrclnr.dll)

840374 updates Help Center : removed with nLite.

841873 updates Task Scheduler : removed with nLite.

841873 updates Messenger service : removed with nLite.

(imo Messenger service is only useful at school when working on computers :lol: )

MBSA also reports MDAC update, normal, I don't add it.

And last, it reports a WMP update and I removed WMP.

Thanks a lot for your help.

NB: I used nLite cause it takes 5 minutes and then installation is much faster.

If I have enough time, I'll try without it this afternoon.

wu.txt

An idea for ya Tomcat:

For the IE6 SP1 update for XPSP1 and 2000 SP4(same download), and all updates for XPSP2 and 2003, why not make HFSLIP integrate the QFE version of the file. It might make it easier for ya, and might let users integrate unofficial updates (that they get themselves).

the_guy

I already did this for the KB912812 update (XPSP1 only). If neither Windows Update, Microsoft Update, MBSA nor HfNetChk complain I'll consider doing it for all updates, but would it also benefit upgrade installs?

I don't understand, "I already did this". Does it mean yesterday's build uses QFE version or does it mean you are about to release one that will ?

I'll build a new iso in a few minutes. That time, I won't use nLite (except for tweaks though, I can't stand webview, especially when running 640x480).

I'll report what each of them say.