HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

You don't get it...

I know how the silent/switchless installers are composed. I wrote the Silent .NET Maker script.

The silent installers you will find are made like this:

1) Extract package

2) Create silent installer that runs the main exe in the extracted package with a silent switch

*OR*

1) Create administrative installation

2) Create silent installer that runs the main MSI file in the extracted package with a silent switch

Neither package brings up a usable file for HFSLIP. I need something like the INF file that installs .NET 1.0 on WinXP MCE.

What I tried some time ago was exporting the registry changes after a manual installation of .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0. I'm exaggerating here but it seemed like .NET took up half of the registry. Plus, some stuff is localized. This would require the user to have .NET x.x installed so I could export the correct settings from their machine from a batch. Also, like this, you are never sure that you covered everything. Either way, if this would ever turn out to be useful, I won't implement it into HFSLIP directly because it would more than double its current size.

An update to HFSLIP might be needed. Windows Server 2003 SP2 FINAL has been released. There are download pages on the download center, but it appears that the files haven't been uploaded yet.

the_guy

It goes in HF. I'll update my lists today or tomorrow.

All new hotfixes should be OK; I tested it last night with XP Pro.

XPSP2 + WMP11: windowsmedia11-kb929399-x86-intl.exe

XPSP2: WindowsXP-KB929338-x86-ENU.exe

ALL: Malicious Software Tool

KB929399 is for WMP11 SDK, do regular users even need it ? I checked and the file that it's supposed to update, i.e., MSSCP.DLL wasn't present on my system (both IE7 and WMP11 installed)

two points regarding win2k

1. qfecheck (Q282784) doesn't seem to be supported. I put the patch in the HF and it didn't get installed.

2. XP icons for Win2K didn't install in the original form (xpicons_silentv2.ex_) whether I used the HFSVCPACK or the HFSVCPACK_SW folder. I eventually renamed the file to xpicons_silentv2.exe and it worked just fine from HFSVCPACK. I believe (although not 100% sure) that it worked quite alright as .ex_ in a previous build of HFSLIP via the HFSVCPACK folder (tho I'm unsure which build it was)

The QFECHECK hotfix is supported with the latest test release, but you must use the Windows XP version for Windows 2000. Reason: the XP hotfix required only a minimal change to the HFSLIP code (two characters) while the 2K hotfix needs more attention (it's very ugly). No errors show up during Windows 2000 installation and it's working too.

Concerning your other question...

I never knew SVCPACK.INF supports direct installation of compressed files. I can change the code a bit so that files with a *.EX_ extension are treated as if they were *.EXE files, but it may not work since EXE files are now installed from a CMD file.

also another Win2K issue. The patch KB923689 (MS06-078) shows up missing under MBSA while no mention (whether present or not) of it is made under HFNetChk. The hotfix is, of course, present in the HF folder.

Log files attached.

Edited by johndoe74