HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Camarade_Tux: Look at the script :rolleyes:!

:lol: Can't really elaborate on exactly what it does. Ask TommyP :thumbup!

I always forget hfslip is open.

Reading the source right now. :)

I found nothing special. :/

Except that the source is nearly 2000 lines long. :w00t:

Edited by Camarade_Tux

HFSLIP extracts the files in Type 1 and Type 2 hotfixes to a folder in the directory called "TEMP". It then deletes the tons of junk files and copies the necessary files to its WORK directory. Later on, when HFSLIP says "Total Slipstreaming" in the title, each file is compressed using MAKECAB and copied to SOURCESS. If you open the WORK directory while HFSLIP is in its early stages (extracting hotfixes, slipstreaming, etc.), you'll see many folders. Although in most cases most of the folders are empty, in (I think) I386E you will find the new files (from the hotfixes). If you choose compression options A-C, after HFSLIP copies the files from the SP*.CAB file, and before it CABs the DRIVER.CAB file, you'll see HFSLIP copy certain binary files to the DRIVER directory.

Just a brief, technical description :). For a more basic description, see TommyP's post below.

Edited by Super-Magician

HFSLIP does two things. First , it slipstreams the latest binaries to the sourcess folder and second it creates INFs files on the fly depending on what you are slipstreaming. A few months back before MSFT started adding files to your OS, the WU issues were mainly registry related. We got that part figured out. Now, the problems that generally arise are when MSFT *adds* additional files. But I think TC and I have a hold on that now. On the flip side, if you are trying to slipstream garbage, then you'll get garbage. Garbage in=garbage out.

@Camarade_Tux -- If size really matters, check the latest... :)

Now I need to lie down for a while... I'm not gonna explain what I did with those lines... :w00t:

Thanks to TommyP, btw... He gets the credit for the last couple of updates...

Edited by Tomcat76

@Camarade_Tux -- If size really matters, check the latest... :)

I'm not using any file replacement, only updates. Then I use nLite and patches uxtheme and sfc_os.

Do you think latest version will result in smaller iso ?

@Super-Magician, tommyp thanks for the explanations. :)

Also I've seen a modified sfc_files.dll on vorck.com

It disables sfc by providing an empty list of protected files.

Who has tried it ?

Who has tried it ?

The sfc.dl_ on fdv's site is for 2k and I use that file all the time with 2k. It *may* work with xp, but you'll have to rename it to sfc_os.dl_, xp uses a different filename. I haven't tried it though.

Who has tried it ?

The sfc.dl_ on fdv's site is for 2k and I use that file all the time with 2k. It *may* work with xp, but you'll have to rename it to sfc_os.dl_, xp uses a different filename. I haven't tried it though.

In fact, I was thinking about that:

SFC_OS.DLL (OR USE AN EMPTY SFCFILES.DLL)

This is optional, you do not have to shut off WFP. If you are an "HFSLIP Expert," you might want it. Here is how to edit SFC_OS.DLL to shut off Windows File Protection (link coming, for now use Google). A quick word about Windows File Protection. It was designed not to thwart you, but to prevent software from changing your DLLs on you. WFP is a good thing 95% of the time. Also, if you're setting up a system for someone else, and WFP is off, how long do you think it would be before they were on the phone with you telling you that their system is "acting weird?" Alternately, instead of hacking SFC_OS.DLL, you can leave it alone and use a version of SFCFILES.DLL that is empty. Download this new SFCFILES.DLL and put it in FIX. I got the idea here, but there were several errors in the approach, so a programmer friend re-wrote the DLL for me. Here is the source.

Tomcat, OK :)

btw I'll make a new iso on Wednesday.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

@Tomcat76

More possible changes:

1. Update startup screens in HFSLIP with relevant new info. By this, I mean for newly added changes/updates. For example, the file and folder format list (third screen) should have HFSPACK listed in it.

2. Rename HFSVPK (and ultimately HFSVPK_SW) to something that doesn't have people confuse it with HFSPACK when they want to slipstream a service pack. The two names are very similar, and are indeed if spelled out.

3. Possibly permanently rename the ERROR_REPORT to HFSLIP, like it is in SOURCESS. But only if you see a need and if other people support this. If you do so, however, you would need to change the documentation.

*I guess this will happen eventually, but for now, we can just let it be.

@dziubek -- Try the new version.

@Camarade_Tux/TommyP -- What folder?

I used HFSLIP_60409a.CMD.

* The files of CAT were removed

* Xpize overwrite files correctly :)

HFSLIP doesn't create ISO because error appears:

"

CDIMAGE 2.47 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Util

Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2000. All rights r

For Microsoft internal use only.

ERROR: Could not open boot sector file "HFTOOLS\"

Error 3

Your ISO is here: D:\HFSLIP\WINLite.ISO

"

thanks

dziubek

Edited by dziubek

@dziubek...

Whoops... I created a variable called BBIN but I was referring to it as BBBIN later on... :blushing:

HFSVPK and HFSVPK_SW are now called HFSVCPACK and HFSVCPACK_SW respectively. Should HFSPACK be renamed too?

How does HFSLIP.LOG sound instead of ERROR_REPORT.TXT?

HFSVPK and HFSVPK_SW are now called HFSVCPACK and HFSVCPACK_SW respectively. Should HFSPACK be renamed too?

How does HFSLIP.LOG sound instead of ERROR_REPORT.TXT?

Thanks for implementing my requests. HFSLIP.LOG sounds great. However, the names "HFSVCPACK" and "HFSVCPACK_SW" sound a bit too lengthy. Now that I think about it, I think the original names were fine. How about renaming HFSPACK to something?

Edit: By the way, not to be annoying or anything, make sure you first get tommyp's approval for changing the names of the folders. FDV's site and your update pages would also need to be revised if they do get in.

Edited by Super-Magician