HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

Always good to hear from you, FDV :hello:

Gosh was a she, BTW. To be sorta sexist (maybe?), female contributors on MSFN are rare to be sure.
Its funny how most Americans are naturally sexist; we usually bias towards males. I was in class the other night and my instructor, a PHD-seeking female, kept referring to third parties with male pronouns.
I have cruised Oleg_II's site and have not heard from him since like February.
OlegII has a site? URL please? From his profile:
Last Active 12th February 2006 - 03:15 AM
Home Page No Information

I'm glad to hear that you are making progress on 2k3. I, for one, will be clamoring for it in a year or so whenever some killer-app comes out that won't run on 2k.

Oleg_II's site is here: http://kitaist.com/

about future apps for windows. maybe this is too much speculation... but i read (and i do not have the url handy) that Win FX is just add-on to Vista, and so is Framework... meaning no part of Vista is written natively in Framework or Win FX. anyone know if this is true? if so, it would mean that most apps will probably continue to be written in the same nt 5.1 API as 2003 and xp apps, right?

Oleg_II's site is here: http://kitaist.com/
Doh! In Russky. This version says it is a commerce site.
about future apps for windows. maybe this is too much speculation... but i read (and i do not have the url handy) that Win FX is just add-on to Vista, and so is Framework... meaning no part of Vista is written natively in Framework or Win FX. anyone know if this is true?
Wikipedia says that WinFX is integral. Perhaps you are referring to WinFS, which was to be integral but was recently dropped. I heard that it will be an addon. Edited by TAiN

For those using the test builds...

A problem was introduced yesterday that prevents subdirectories of HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32 (eg, DRIVERS) from being processed. That's fixed in 60319a.

processed = copied over, right? No other processing (like CODECS)?

Just so we're on the same level...

HFEXPERT\CODECS = copied over; txtsetup.sif & dosnet.inf updated; all files except exe and cpl registered

HFEXPERT\WIN = copied over; txtsetup.sif & dosnet.inf updated

HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT = copied over

I'm gonna add *.CPI to the list of files not to be registered in the HFEXPERT\CODECS section just in case people still put those files in there.

Just so we're on the same level...

HFEXPERT\CODECS = copied over; txtsetup.sif & dosnet.inf updated; all files except exe and cpl registered

HFEXPERT\WIN = copied over; txtsetup.sif & dosnet.inf updated

HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT = copied over

Yeah, my last post was still vague :blushing:

How about this for even more fidelity:

HFEXPERT\CODECS\ = copied over; txtsetup.sif & dosnet.inf updated; all files except exe and cpl registered

HFEXPERT\WIN\* = copied over; txtsetup.sif & dosnet.inf updated

HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT\ = copied over

HFEXPERT\WIN\ is the only one that will use subfolders, right?

@Super-Magician: He finally changed "Windows Server 2002" to "Windows Server 2003"...

@TAiN: Right now, yes. I was thinking of asking TommyP to allow subfolders in APPREPLACEMENT.

Edited by Tomcat76

@TAiN: Right now, yes. I was thinking of asking TommyP to allow subfolders in APPREPLACEMENT.
Hmmm...how would that be used? Where would the folders go? 'program files'?

Haha... I wish... :D

No. Currently, files in APPREPLACEMENT are copied over into I386. I guess it could be expanded to allow replacing files in subfolders of the I386 folder (though I can't think of a practical use for that).

Super-Magician: fdv, your page on HFSLIP for XP/2003 now says "updated on March 20, 2005", but it is 2006

By the way, what did you update on that page?

thanks for the alert, boy did that look foolish. i updated instructions for modifying 2003's SETUPAPI.DLL as well as a note about HFAAO.
Tomcat76: He finally changed "Windows Server 2002" to "Windows Server 2003"...

? i don't know what this means

Oh, OK then. Didn't realize that. Time to scrap that idea :w00t:!

Windows messenger is bloatware/worthlessware
Of course, that's why I'm removing it :thumbup.

Hmmm...this thread seems to be getting quite long :P...

-- Super-Magician :)

Edited by Super-Magician