Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

HFSLIP - Test releases

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
2379 replies to this topic

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
It's a miracle HashTab, Open Subfolder, Office Update Engine, StartupMonitor and Attributes Context Menu even install right. A new test release that fixes the handling of these addons is ready to be posted but I'm waiting for the wga1.inf results first.

You do know that HFSLIP handles the original Office Update CAB, right? It's called opuc3.cab and can be placed in the HFCABS folder.

Edited by Tomcat76, 14 March 2006 - 12:52 PM.

Posted Image
Real-time support (Yahoo Messenger): hfslip_tc76
Update lists for HFSLIP finals: Win2K SP4 (2008-04-10), WinXP SP3 (2008-06-11) and Win2K3 SP2 (2008-05-25).

Inexperience Patcher 0.7.1 * NoSoftwarePatents.com * My computer

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,683 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

Just a quick note on my lunch break...I also had issues with the Attributes Context Menu addon, but I just removed it from my setup and worked on some other issues.

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 26-November 04

It's a miracle HashTab, Open Subfolder, Office Update Engine, StartupMonitor and Attributes Context Menu even install right. A new test release that fixes the handling of these addons is ready to be posted but I'm waiting for the wga1.inf results first.

You do know that HFSLIP handles the original Office Update CAB, right? It's called opuc3.cab and can be placed in the HFCABS folder.

YES I know, but I on time of tests didn't place this file HFCABS folder.

After installation file inf ,all be active :-)
WU doesn't ask about renewed installation KB 892130 "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool"

EDIT:

1. When I use Windows Update Agent 2.0 I have to use Windows Update v4(WU Catalog) also ?
(http://v4.windowsupd...icode/IUCTL.CAB)

2. How download and integrate hotfix: KB912945?
dziubek

Edited by dziubek, 14 March 2006 - 01:56 PM.

Posted Image

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
OK. I'll release a new test version soon.

1) No; it's only needed for the Windows Update Catalog site

2) Try this link:
http://www.microsoft...50-ee01256aaa92
I suppose it needs to go in the HF folder.
Posted Image
Update lists for HFSLIP finals: Win2K SP4 (2008-04-10), WinXP SP3 (2008-06-11) and Win2K3 SP2 (2008-05-25).

the_guy

the_guy

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined 15-July 05
do NOT put that in your hf folder. it WILL break your XP install. the 2003 update is the same. MS knows about this and will fix it for the next cumulative update for IE.

Maybe put it in the script to delete that file at the start?

the_guy

Edited by the_guy, 14 March 2006 - 03:37 PM.

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
What file? Nobody's been talking about the FIX folder here...
Posted Image

the_guy

the_guy

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined 15-July 05
I meant the HF folder. 912945 causes a lot of things to break, all because of the mshtml.dll file. You can install it fine in Windows, but do not integrate it.

the_guy
Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
Oh, but HFSLIP has experience with that. :D

Try 60314b. If it's what I think it is, that version should work around the problem.
Posted Image

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,683 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

I ran 60313a yesterday and just got around to looking for any problems today. An odd problem has popped up that I never noticed before...

These are the files that I have in /WIN/SYSTEM32:
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\2ksp5.htm
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\ARJ.EXE
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\Arj32.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\calc.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\Cyclone.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\drempels.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\Euphoria.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\EXTRACT.EXE
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\FieldLines.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\Flocks.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\Flux.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\Helios.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\hfnetchk.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\logon.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\matrix-camtech_binaries.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\mplayerc.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\myuninst.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\notepad.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\oeminfo.ini
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\oemlogo.bmp
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\pkunzip.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\pkzip.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\Plasma.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\qchain.exe
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\scrnsave.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\SolarWinds.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\ssstars.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\winhttp.dll
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\wordpad.exe
Almost all of them get copied into c:\winnt\system32...but these ones do NOT get copied over:
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\logon.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\ssstars.scr
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\winhttp.dll
D:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\wordpad.exe
I have some other stuff in /WIN/CURSORS and /WIN/FONTS but they all get copied over fine.

Some of the apps in there, like notepad, may be better off in APPREPLACEMENT but I have them in there because they get removed by HFCLEANUP and I want to put them back. They are the stock files...it is just easier to have them in there while I am addressing HFCLEANUP issues than to keep deleting HFCLEANUP, re-adding the default pack, and re-deleting the files I want to keep. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, I found this interesting and thought you guys might like to see it. Cheers!

Edited by TAiN, 14 March 2006 - 09:58 PM.

troy

troy

• 17 posts
  • Joined 12-December 05

Testing HFSLIP_60313a

• SVCPACK\HFSLIP.CMD seems to be in good order
  • On setup, there was a copy problem with HFSLP255.INF - It's not in the I386 folder

Was the latter also the case with 60310 or is that something you don't know given the path problems you were having before? Does it still happen if you only include hotfixes in the HF folder?

Grr... this is going to be a serious PITA.

Apparently, the boot folder needed for a multiboot has it's own TXTSETUP.SIF, which has a reference to HFSLP255.INF. I was using an old boot folder.

For my next test image, I guess I copy over the TXTSETUP.SIF to the boot folder and see how it goes.

There has got to be an easier way to build and maintain a multiboot disk. Maybe I'll try constructing my own boot folder without having to run setup, and see how it goes.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
Tain, It looks like you are building your own OS using HFEXPERT. hehe. I really can't answer your Q, but I think you have to be careful that you don't overwrite an existing file using the hfexpert. What I am thinking is that after the text mode copy, the sub-installation infs are moving files from the temp location to their final spot. My advice would be to use appreplacement if the file already exists in the source. I'll have to update the hfexpert page to identify this issue.
Posted Image

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05
Hi,

Changes in test builds released between the current test release and the current final release:
- removed reference to SP cab file from DOSNET.INF when merging it with driver.cab

Does it have anything to do with the problem I mentionned with nLite ? :)

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
TAiN...
The solution depends on what the actual problem is.

1) The four files in question reside in the CD's I386 folder but they are not copied over into SYSTEM32

2) The four files in question do not reside in the CD's I386 folder or the version is wrong/different

I can figure that out myself if you send me your txtsetup.sif file...

@Camarade_Tux
No. When merging driver.cab with the SP cab, the reference to the SP cab was not removed from DOSNET.INF. It may have affected people who install from a floppy but I'm not sure of that. Either way, that's corrected now.

Edited by Tomcat76, 15 March 2006 - 08:05 AM.

Posted Image

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05

@Camarade_Tux
No. When merging driver.cab with the SP cab, the reference to the SP cab was not removed from DOSNET.INF. It may have affected people who install from a floppy but I'm not sure of that. Either way, that's corrected now.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. :)

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 26-November 04
little OT:
@Camarade_Tux
What do you use theme in your OS?

dziubek
Posted Image

Camarade_Tux

Camarade_Tux

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Joined 22-May 05

little OT:
@Camarade_Tux
What do you use theme in your OS?

dziubek

(Longhorn) inspirat from: http://crystalxp.net...ie/en.cat.3.htm

Also check the Vista one.

And some bricopacks :
http://crystalxp.net/bricopack/en.htm

:)

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,683 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

TAiN...
The solution depends on what the actual problem is.
1) The four files in question reside in the CD's I386 folder but they are not copied over into SYSTEM32
2) The four files in question do not reside in the CD's I386 folder or the version is wrong/different
I can figure that out myself if you send me your txtsetup.sif file...

Scenario two is correct. The only file in the 'problem set' that ever exists natively is wordpad...but it gets removed by HFLCEANUP in my config. The other files are alien to stock windows.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
Check the latest release, TAiN. This one allows the HFEXPERT\WIN folder (and its subfolders) to act as some kind of "backdoor" to slip in files that are removed with HFCLEANUP.

Consider this basic rule:
Do not place files in HFEXPERT\WIN that you are removing with HFCLEANUP. If you add them anyway, those files will not be removed.

This makes more sense to me and it makes HFSLIP more flexible. It's easier to add in a few files in HFEXPERT\WIN than it is to edit removal filesets. It can also help with debugging problematic filesets.

Edited by Tomcat76, 15 March 2006 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
I don't mean to sound like an a$$hole here, but the name HFEXPERT was coined meaning that you need to know more than the average person about the windows installation process. If you don't know about it, then blindly using it will cause failed installs. This is why the instructional webpage is hidden in FDV's site.

Tomcat, do NOT take the liberty to change the hfcleanup/hfexpert routines. Period.
Posted Image

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
I don't really know what you mean by "routine", but if you think I switched them around then I have to say I didn't. Everything is still in order.

I always thought that the purpose of HFEXPERT\WIN was to add files, and the purpose of HFCLEANUP to remove files. This apparantly wasn't the case as TAiN found out.
IMHO, I think it's illogical that HFCLEANUP removes stuff you add through HFEXPERT\WIN. It defeats the purpose of HFEXPERT. All I did was fix this "collision"...

I'll undo it if you still want it...
Posted Image

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
TC, please undo. The way it worked before is far better. Let's say for instance you run a reducer for some file. The reducer also reduces some extra files too, in addition to installation infs (if there is one). There are too many cross-references and only asking for trouble. The only way around this would be to hardcode all the inter-relations like nlite. It's way too much work to implement and not worth the extra effort. Nlite is easier to use for reducing, and there is lots of support for it already.

Bottom line, it's a catch 22 situation. Delete first and then add -or- add first and then delete. I chose the latter, because of all the installation infs and the interdependancies. For example with Tain's case. He ran the wordpad reducer, meaning he didn't want it. He also had it in the hfexpert. So either he wants it or he doesn't want it. See what I mean? Catch 22.
Posted Image

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
Isn't the purpose of HFEXPERT\WIN to just add files to the source... no registration, no special stuff done to them?

Please note that I'm not talking about HFEXPERT\CODECS nor HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT. These are "special". No installation INFs are created for files in HFEXPERT\WIN...

Did I get this wrong?
Posted Image

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
TC, I understand that it is only the hfexpert\win folder. I guess it's a matter of how the user interprets hfcleanup and hfexpert, and which came first the chicken or the egg.

I suppose you have a point though. However, it *may* break the special functionality of hfcleanup that I frequently use (maybe others too).

Perhaps you should set up a poll and ask the community which they prefer. Ask if they want to add then remove -or- remove then add. Or in other words, which takes priority, hfexpert or hfcleanup. Right now, hfcleanup has precedence. Perhaps I assumed incorrectly when I first coded in hfcleanup and hfexpert (and built reduction files that work with it).

Edited by tommyp, 15 March 2006 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
I don't intend to break anything. Just let me know of potential issues and I'll see if they can be fixed.

I don't think that the question should be "which comes first". It's more a question of "which is allowed to undo changes of which".

In the previous releases of HFSLIP, HFCLEANUP (additionally) removes files that are added through HFEXPERT\WIN. Maybe I see it wrongly, but to me that totally nullifies the use of HFEXPERT\WIN. Why would one place files in HFEXPERT\WIN if they may be deleted?

I think that the only interaction between them which should/could be allowed is to force-add files that are deleted by one or more reduction filesets. This way, you don't need to edit filesets to try out different things.

The basic purposes are not changed: HFCLEANUP is used to remove stuff and HFEXPERT is used to add stuff.
I'm only changing a con into a pro:
Old con = HFCLEANUP removes files that are added through HFEXPERT
New pro = HFEXPERT\WIN can be used (misused) to override decisions of HFCLEANUP
Posted Image

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
  • Joined 08-August 05
How's KB912945 doing?

@dziubek
Is everything OK with CDImageGUI?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users