My computer either hangs when I watch videos

Hi,

I have a problem. Sometimes when I watch videos or do something else, my computer hangs. Recently I turned off that "Restart computer automatically" option in Windows XP so the computer wouldn't restart automatically. Instead of getting a BSOD, I don't see a message. Just to be sure, is this a CPU problem, I heard that the computer hangs or either restarts because the CPU is overheating. So what is actually causing the problem, is it really the CPU is overheating, or some other Windows error? Please help me, thanks.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2, my processor type is an AMD Athlon 3000 64 bit, I have 1024 MB of DDR RAM and an ATI 128 MB 9250 Radeon video card.

have you tried a temp monitoring program? i think a lot of motherboard manufacturers provide them on their CDs, or you can find them on the web.

Is motherboard monitor still around? you could try that one

Are the drivers for your video card up to date? As far as temperature monitoring, I would first check your MB drivers disk to see if there are any utilities specific to your MB.... and then get SpeedFan as well as motherboard monitor.

This problem has started recently. I updated all my drivers, and the problem is still persisting.

My full computer specs are:

AMD Athlon 3000 64 bit CPU

1024 MB DDR RAM

128 MB ATI Radeon 9250

2X 80 GIG Hard Drives

Gigabyte Motherboard GA-K8VT800

Go here for a utility for your MotherBoard --

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/motherboar...A-K8VT800%20Pro

Download "Beta:050426 2005/05/06 Easy Tune 5" And see if it wont tell you a bit more about your Board and the temps on it.

Also have you tried AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet ? yet? -- Get a demo here -- http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...5E10272,00.html

Don't worry, I fixed my computer today.

After I formatted it, it was still freezing. After I tried another hard drive, another video card, the problem was still persisting. I found out it was one of my RAM that was broken, which resulted in constant PC lockups and computer restarts. Now I have to replace my RAM, which I still have warranty for it.