Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

• 2 weeks later...

The project still alive although i kinda stopped developing last few weeks/months due to enormous time i had to spend on other things. It's kinda ready just one little bug that makes the program crash + i need to fix/add minor things but that can be done later on. I kinda stopped developing it due to hardly any interest from ppl (you know, when it's free and you don't see ppl wanting that you don't do it ;)). Anyway i plan to release it since i noticed few ppl want it so it will come.

@Bashrat:

problem id column is what Device Manager states as device error code. When you go to devices that are unknown or with problems there's always a number next to error that it states. The error list can be found here. Only some "errors" are fixable by just removing device from device manager and are drivers related. Other problems usually are more serious problems that shouldn't and won't be solved just by device removal. But for maybe "future" features i added it to show the problem id number.

@LDST - my program if it would be ready and fully working can do that for you ;p devcon -remove =Unknown is one thing but it sometimes doesn't work as the device may have been marked as "problematic" and not realy unknown. I solved it by doing a lot of reasearch on how devcon works and what changes. So my program usually check for that "problem id" that i explained to bashrat and when it founds the right codes (only 2-3 of them are drivers related) it takes device id and removes them. Then devcon rescan and woila ;)

xboxhaxorz - my first version was only looking for Unknown devices indeed. Problem with it is that after first devices removal they are no longer marked unknown. Also like you stated some device have just drivers problem. Well the new version works diffrently as i stated in this post.

I'll try to release 0.4.* version during this week or so.

Chears!

• 5 weeks later...

am using it but the add hardware wizard things comes up wheer u have to browse for the location of the drivers..

is that normal.. doesnt this program autocmatically scan the folder we define

Yeah, i encountred this problem several times too. Usually it happens when there is more then one driver on CD/Directories that matches the criteria. In cases where things weren't doubled up the Wizard didnt come up.

umm thast a bumer.. hope this can be fixed.... i dont have copies of the same driver in the DIR.. but many driversfrom the same company.. i think it shud be able to pick up the appropriate driver automatically

Edited by Avneet

Well it's not realy in power of my program. It's more like windows behaviour. What can be done is to check if there are registry entries that could disable that behaviour or eventually implement, what in autoit3 shouldn't be problem automatic 'click' next next next :) so user interaction wouldn't be required. I'll have to look at it. I don't realy want to use 'screen interaction' as this won't be 'nice hack'. It will be visible for user which makes the program a bit unproffesional, but it also might be the only way :) I've seen some drivers getting installed that way, like Toshiba bluetooth which was using similar way to interact with windows questions, but it was ugly to me.

I'll try to see how to fix problem, but i lack time latly since i am in the middle of changing jobs and i have other responsibilities now.

• 4 weeks later...

Release 0.4.4 is out. Please test it as it should fix the wizard problem that popped out even thou it wasn't nessecary. So please let me know.

Possible changes in next versions:

- Better handling of removed devices. Especially those that require reboot to work.

Changelog for 0.4.4

- Possibly fixed problem with Wizard poping-out when not nessecary. Need Feedback so lemme know.

- Completly new Plug & Play redetection handling (thru DLLCALL) - tnx to AUTOIT Forum.

Keep up the good work.

I will try it later to see if it can solve an issue i have with MultiPortSerial PCI board. Board itself is installed without problems but i have to accept the installation of each of the 4 COM ports. Drivers for both PCI board and COM ports are digitally signed.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Thanks,

i got msg from one of the users that the pop-up wizard in his case still pops up. It's weird. I tested it on Fujitsu-Siemens S7010 with like 7 drivers not installed and only Bluetooth didn't installed itself (but with BT there's some problem that even bigger companies can't realy solve as Microsoft doesn't sing it at all). I want the "manual" use to work perfect so i can just work on unattended mode so it can be used with switches and so it can be used easly in some advanced configuration.

I was thinking about using autoit functionality to just press buttons/navigate mouse etc so unsigned drivers can be taken care also with it (and eventually wizards if any comes up). I'm not sure it's good idea thou. Maybe someone has better or thinks it's a good one?

Adding Remove & Rescan just for graphic card is not an easy task, well codewise it's not so bad but i would have to implement searching procedure for all graphic cards. So i would have to have their Device ID. I guess there are like 32+ graphic cards which means having my program scanning thru every device id and trying to match it. Then when matched remove it. And here starts the hard part, after removal you rescan for p&p, but from now it's mostly Windows job to catch the right driver and i guess it would pickup the one that it finds first ? :) Of course i could probably reset the path for searching for drivers so it wouldn't search in C:\Windows\System32 but most of the time it would be preety stupid idea on my part. My program isn't realy typical for use at home where usually ppl have great graphic cards and new drivers every few weeks/months. It's mostly build for IT Department use when they have a lot of hardware, diffrent computers and usually if some drivers work they leave it like that. So they can prepare CD or DVD or USB-PEN (fastest solution if u ask me) with drivers they have for each laptop/computer and they just use it. Usually those computers are supposed to work so ppl can "WORK", not play games or so ;) That's why that request is a bit questionable ;) Also preparing drivers, testing and using my program just once a year isn't realy worth the time you have to put in it. While at IT Dept you use it daily putting some work into it will shortly bring effects. Hope you understand.

If you would realy need it thou i can give you hints how to achieve it. But i realy don't see the purpose of making that addon :)

What i want to add is so the program would 'check' if removed hardware needs reboot to apply drivers or not. That and few other things i want to add. Just a bit lack of time and doing other programs for myself.