Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

I am also having the same issues as ty628659. The tool states that it's adding the Registry Paths and that they are successful, however the path in the registry is never changed.

What key are you changing?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion :: DevicePath

If so, there's no new entries.

Well i can't realy see why you would have that problem. But lets see.

Drivers_drive=C

Drivers_dir=\All_Drivers

Put some drivers in that or other dir specified by you. When you put them there (can be dir in dir in dir etc) check if .inf files exist (as the tool checks for dirs with inf's and add them to registry. If it can't find those inf's then it does nothing to you device path's.

I'll upload 0.5.3 in a sec and update first page. Check these option (make sure to read what they mean). Then monitor what happens in registry to your key while you set 'None' in that option. If the key changes. Then it means registry access is okey and it prolly can't find drivers or so. That option works only with 0.5.3+

[ADVANCED]

Registry_path=None

New version is out:

Changelog for 0.5.2-0.5.3

- removed commandlines (useless)

- cleaned up some more useless code

- added new ADVANCED option called problem_ids in hardware.ini.

- added new ADVANCED option called registry_path in hardware.ini.

Possible settings for hardware.ini for [ADVANCED]

Keep in mind those options are only good if you know what you are doing. Application will work JUST FINE without those settings being in hardware.ini. It will use defaults then. AGAIN. Do NOT use those options if you are unsure what they do.

Registry_path - possible options are Begin, End, None. This option controls if "%SystemRoot%\inf;" is supposed to be added in the begining, end or none at all in the registry line HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion :: DevicePath. I believe if you set it to End it will first look for correct driver for your device in YOUR NEW DRIVERS and then in the default Windows drivers dir. If you set it to None then drivers from default Windows drivers dir won't be taken in consideration at all. Keep in mind that some crucial devices like USB that are supported by WINDOWS use this dir.

Problem_Ids - here you put numbers separated by commas i.e. 1,10,18,28,37,39. This means that devices that match one of those problems IDS will be removed. You can either increase the numbers or decrease if you think default i use is too much. On that page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123/en-us you can find what each problem means.

Hardware.ini for newest version 0.5.3 but with ADVANCED options in use looks like this:

[INFO]
Start=Manual
Mode=Standard
Drivers_drive=REMOVABLE
Drivers_dir=\All_Drivers
Device_manager=On
Method=RegistryDevicePath
Logging_to_file=Yes
Logging_option=Advanced
Drivers_Packed=No
Copy_drivers=No
Copy_where=C:\Drivers
Delete_drivers=No
Create_backup=No
Leave_registry_entries=No
Debug=No
[ADVANCED]
Registry_path=Begin
Problem_Ids=1,10,18,28,37,39

Check it out and lemme know how it works ;) discountpc i hope you are satisfied with those 2 options ;) Should work for you!

OK, ran the new build with the attached INI and LOG file.

Still no modification to the Registry.

Permissions on this key indicate Admin has ZFull Control and the normal User has Modify. We're running this as Admin.

The driver source was shortened down to see if it was a path length issue with no change.

I'm quite sure this will all work if the registry key would get modified.

Thanks in advance.

[iNFO]

Start=Automatic

Mode=Standard

Drivers_drive=C

Drivers_dir=\A

Device_manager=On

Logging_to_file=Yes

Logging_option=Advanced

Drivers_Packed=No

Copy_drivers=No

Copy_where=

Delete_drivers=No

Create_backup=No

Leave_Registry_Entries=No

Debug=No

[Advanced]

Registry_Path=None

[03:00:53] - =================== Log Start: TEST

[03:00:53] - Starting program on TEST.

[03:00:53] - Detecting Windows version - Windows XP x32

[03:00:53] - Checking for drivers directory existance.

[03:00:53] - Directory with drivers (C:\A) exist.

[03:00:53] - Detecting number of devices in system.

[03:00:53] - Found 126 devices of which 5 have problems.

[03:00:53] - Automatic start used - GoGoGo..

[03:00:53] - Setting Driver signing to OFF.

[03:00:53] - Setting path into registry using RegistryDevicePath method.

[03:00:53] - Drivers path was set successfully into registry.

[03:00:53] - Removing unknown hardware from system.

[03:00:54] - Unknown devices were removed successfully.

[03:00:54] - Starting Device Manager.

[03:00:54] - Forcing system to detect Plug & Play Devices.

[03:00:54] - System is now detecting and installing drivers for your hardware. Wait!

Edited by Netman66

OK, I've got it to remove the existing default entry when Registry_Path=None and add the defualt back in when it set to BEGIN or END.

So the issue isn't with the key.

I dumped an unpacked driver into the root of my driver folder specified in the hardware INI (C:\A). The driver is relevant to the machine and one that is missing (the video) so it should pick it up, but it doesn't seem to want to add the path.

Any ideas?

Also just noticed that Advanced logging (in the new build) stopped logging removal events or the tool quit removing hardware!

Well my programs shows all devices that have some problems. Only some of those problems are driver related. My program only removes devices that match: 1, 18, 28, 37, 39 problems. You can find what they mean here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123/en-us

Your code: Code 10

If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Usually Code 10 is incorrect drivers...

In my case I had working sound drivers from 2002, i removed the driver to test and a the system tried to reinstall the driver from the inf that is installed... but failed trying to find an additional file on the system. (not related to your software, just some extra testing). When your software removed the unknown device it would just attempt to reinstall the old 2002 driver, instead of the new 2006 provided on my driver cd. I can vouch that the 2006 driver work if i point windows to the folder where they are though.

... but thanks for the software update, I will test the new release shortly and report my findings.

one Quick observance... the single diget code issues (ex: Code 1) is not removed when specified like in your settings. for it to work correctly, your software sees this as a ProblemID 01 (Code 01)... aka must be stated as a 2 digit code for it to be removed properly.

more reporting after further tests.

TAiN: well if you set the program in Automatic mode GUI should pop_up and work automagically, all you need to do is to close the app after it's done. I can make it close automatically too but problem is that when program is closed it 'applies' default settings to registry. That way when you close it too soon and the plug & play devices are still searching for drivers they might end up in bad situation.

If someone has idea what my program can look for while the Plug & play devices are installed (some process or something) and when Windows finishes it, as for now i have NO CLUE how to make it work so my program CAN realy tell you when P&P is done. If someone knows what my program can look for i will gladly hear it :)

Netman: you are right with the removal process. As discountpc spotted it should be 01 not 1 and i overlooked it when changing things. Fixed in 0.5.4 that will be out soon.

Also can you verify if that C:\A has .inf file in it ? or somewhere in dir in dir. You must be aware that drivers can't be in packed form for example just setup.exe or so. Lemme know?

Discountpc: try playing with registry_path and report if it fixes your issues.

Changelog for 0.5.4

- one little typo when coding new functionalities, which caused removal process of devices with problem ID 01 to be not removed (tnx discountpc)

Get it :/

OK, here's what I've found.

Running SetDevicePath.exe against my Drivers folder correctly populates the registry.

If I run your utility now, it removes everything, but doesn't put any entries at all except the default entry.

It appears the device path component of your utility doesn't want to work for me.

It's English. We do have the MUI installed though.

I really want this to work. We support too many different hardware platforms to have to manage images for. A single image is the goal and your utility would be perfect if we could get it working.

Thanks for the effort and I hope we can put our fingers on the issue and solve it.

NM

Well, that was a little different now.

The script failed with the following error:

post-80455-1158245664_thumb.jpg

Using the following INI:

[iNFO]

Start=Automatic

Mode=Standard

Drivers_drive=C

Drivers_dir=\Asus

Device_manager=On

Logging_to_file=Yes

Logging_option=Advanced

Drivers_Packed=No

Copy_drivers=No

Copy_where=

Delete_drivers=No

Create_backup=No

Leave_Registry_Entries=No

Debug=Yes

[Advanced]

Registry_Path=END

And here's the logfile:

[23:58:06] - =================== Log Start: TEST

[23:58:06] - Starting program on TEST.

[23:58:06] - Detecting Windows version - Windows XP x32

[23:58:06] - Checking for drivers directory existance.

[23:58:06] - Directory with drivers (C:\Asus) exist.

[23:58:06] - Detecting number of devices in system.

[23:58:06] - Found 137 devices of which 1 has problems.

[23:58:06] - Automatic start used - GoGoGo..

[23:58:06] - Setting Driver signing to OFF.

[23:58:06] - Setting path into registry using RegistryDevicePath method.

[23:58:06] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 0: Volume in drive C has no label.

[23:58:06] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 0: Volume Serial Number is 7C1C-7789

[23:58:06] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 0:

[23:58:06] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 0: Directory of C:\Asus

[23:58:06] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 1: Directory of C:\Asus

I hope this means something to you! :huh:

I have reuploaded the version again. Try it now ;) Should be no error of that kind.

Here's yours:

[23:58:06] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 0: Directory of C:\Asus

[23:58:06] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 1: Directory of C:\Asus

To say the truth that lines says it all.

Here's min:

[16:15:10] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 0: Katalog: C:\All_Drivers

[16:15:10] - DEBUG in REGISTRYDEVICEPATH FUNCTION 1: Katalog: C:\All_Drivers

and i use ": " as splitting behaviour to get what i need. guess i need to find other way. Seems each language version has diffrent 'DIR' behaviour ;) lemme work on it. actually you don't need to test more. I have to think of better way to solve it. TNX!