Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
619 replies to this topic

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
Well of course i didn't forgot about your problem but you didn't responded to my mail on forum in which i've asked you to download the newest rls and set the debug mode (which is what you did now). Now that I've more information how stuff looks like i should be able to see what's wrong. Cheers :-)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
Well, after testing for a while it still does not work the way it supposed to. Sorry :(
The problem is the window managing wizard. And some strange COM DOM error, I'll put the image and log with this message.

As for the window managing wizard, it still asks me for confirmation, I have to click the buttons.
Perhaps the problem is the "connect to internet" prompt, can it be?
I tried two times, first time copying the drivers to a local disk, and the second time from the share.

Sure it has to be something with the Spanish version. Someone else tried it on a non-English Windows XP?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that the Dutch version has the same problem. Hope Madboy finds the solution!

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

Attached Files

Edited by Escorpiom, 05 November 2009 - 06:18 AM.

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
Newest version can be found at projects website.

Version 2.0.0.25 (public)
- Fixed hardware wizard (one script breaking change in AutoIt which I've not addressed when updating to newest beta)

Enjoy and report bugs as always (preferably with log file in debug mode, and with XML attached).

MadBoy

Edited by MadBoy, 05 November 2009 - 03:01 PM.

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
Escorpiom as for your error, this error isn't related to my program. It's related to your system having WMI corrupted or not installed correctly. Here's a link saying what you can do with it:
http://www.computerp...de_80041013.htm

But it's also possible that you've used nlite or other tool to produce your image and you've excluded important features. Help and Support service or similar, one that looks not important but is important for WMI (I don't remember now which one). Hope it helps and you can find your way ;-)

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09

Escorpiom as for your error, this error isn't related to my program. It's related to your system having WMI corrupted or not installed correctly. Here's a link saying what you can do with it:
http://www.computerp...de_80041013.htm

But it's also possible that you've used nlite or other tool to produce your image and you've excluded important features. Help and Support service or similar, one that looks not important but is important for WMI (I don't remember now which one). Hope it helps and you can find your way ;-)

Spot on, Madboy. You just forced me to do another Nlited WinXP but this time I left Help and Support in it. Removed only MSN Explorer, Windows Messenger, The Annoying Search Dog, Security Center and System restore.
Tried to repair WMI in a thousand ways - nothing helped. The Microsoft vbs tool threw some errors and it is definitely not possible to repair them, even re-installing the help and support stuff didn't help. Microsoft states that a complete reinstall is needed. So far for the WMI errors.

I did try the new version, still no show. Don't know if it is because of the screwed up WMI, but the hardware database is not created, drivers are not installed and the windows are popping up and the program keeps looping. Have to shut down the hardware wizard and then the program stops: "User canceled hardware wizard" or similar.
Will try with the new installation and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

Edited by Escorpiom, 06 November 2009 - 03:09 AM.

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
Escorpiom please put me your config file (xml) so i can take a look.

jinkazama

jinkazama

• PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03
Hi madboy, can i use Driver pro-s from usb pen?
I get this error...
Posted Image

here my hardware config

<drivers>
<drivers_method>New</drivers_method>
<drivers_database_use>No</drivers_database_use>
<drivers_database_recreate>No</drivers_database_recreate>
<drivers_database_path>$ProgramDir\hardware_database.db</drivers_database_path>
<drivers_directory_path>RELATIVE:\Drivers</drivers_directory_path>
<drivers_packed>No</drivers_packed>
<drivers_copy>No</drivers_copy>
<drivers_copy_path>C:\DriversTest</drivers_copy_path>
<drivers_copy_delete>No</drivers_copy_delete>
- <options>

Thank you

ubrezet.png
userbardriverpackteam3nv0.jpg

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
Ok I have isolated the problem. First, got rid of the WMI error. Help and Support is now included in the source and the program starts fine. Yeah!

There are two issues pending:

- The buttons don't get pressed at the PnP stage because of the internet driver update prompt. The log (debug mode) shows it. The ONLY button that is auto-pressed is Finalizar (Finalize). Note: this is a Spanish Windows XP.
- Updating drivers runs, but does not update. I have in fact updated drivers for Via Rhine Ethernet card but it does not install. The same happens with C-Media Sound.

I found the following: If the .inf has some hardware ID without "&subsys" string it does not install. I had to edit the .inf and add the subsys string, after that it was picked up by the program.
Example:
VEN_1106&DEV_3108
Does not install driver.
VEN_1106&DEV_3108&SUBSYS_31081414 installs fine.
The program should not look at the subsys. Let Windows figure it out. Or else, I would have to edit some of my .infs?

I will add the log (had to zip it, was very large) and xml file so you can have a look. We are nearly there. If you succeed, I will worship you forever. :yes:

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

Attached Files

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05

Hi madboy, can i use Driver pro-s from usb pen?
I get this error...
Posted Image

here my hardware config

<drivers>
<drivers_method>New</drivers_method>
<drivers_database_use>No</drivers_database_use>
<drivers_database_recreate>No</drivers_database_recreate>
<drivers_database_path>$ProgramDir\hardware_database.db</drivers_database_path>
<drivers_directory_path>RELATIVE:\Drivers</drivers_directory_path>
<drivers_packed>No</drivers_packed>
<drivers_copy>No</drivers_copy>
<drivers_copy_path>C:\DriversTest</drivers_copy_path>
<drivers_copy_delete>No</drivers_copy_delete>
- <options>

Thank you

You can. You have to either use RELATIVE:\Drivers where RELATIVE means that program resides on the same drive that Drivers directory is. Or you can use REMOVABLE:\Drivers which should point to usb pendrive in drivers_directory_path.

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05

Ok I have isolated the problem. First, got rid of the WMI error. Help and Support is now included in the source and the program starts fine. Yeah!

There are two issues pending:

- The buttons don't get pressed at the PnP stage because of the internet driver update prompt. The log (debug mode) shows it. The ONLY button that is auto-pressed is Finalizar (Finalize). Note: this is a Spanish Windows XP.
- Updating drivers runs, but does not update. I have in fact updated drivers for Via Rhine Ethernet card but it does not install. The same happens with C-Media Sound.

I found the following: If the .inf has some hardware ID without "&subsys" string it does not install. I had to edit the .inf and add the subsys string, after that it was picked up by the program.
Example:
VEN_1106&DEV_3108
Does not install driver.
The program should not look at the subsys. Let Windows figure it out. Or else, I would have to edit some of my .infs?

I will add the log (had to zip it, was very large) and xml file so you can have a look. We are nearly there. If you succeed, I will worship you forever. :yes:

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

Please try the newest version 2.0.0.26. It's in the projects directory. Hardware wizard is fine. The problem is that within different languages there are different chars underlined.

For example Finalize has probably letter F underlined like Finalize, but for words Next etc it may have e, x or t underlined. Then such word becomes N&ext if e is underlined or Ne&xt if x is underlined. For Finalize the word looks like &Finalize so there's no problem as partial matching works. Anyways to cut the problems with having to type & at correct place or to include it at all I've fixed so that & is stripped from the button text when doing matching so hardware wizard should work now fine without any additional change from your side.

For your other problem I'll have to look deeper. Will post again soon ;-)

jinkazama

jinkazama

• PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03

You can. You have to either use RELATIVE:\Drivers where RELATIVE means that program resides on the same drive that Drivers directory is. Or you can use REMOVABLE:\Drivers which should point to usb pendrive in drivers_directory_path.

I have tried both solutions but always same error
i have all in a directory RELATIVE switch should point to Driver directory...
Posted Image

Edited by jinkazama, 06 November 2009 - 06:05 AM.

ubrezet.png

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05

I have tried both solutions but always same error
i have all in a directory RELATIVE switch should point to Driver directory...
Posted Image

It's incorrect. RELATIVE means it's only RELATIVE disk drive letter so what program is looking at when you have RELATIVE:\Drivers is M:\Drivers. Since you've put it in M:\Driver PRO-S the correct path in .xml is RELATIVE:\Driver PRO-S\Drivers or REMOVABLE:\Driver PRO-S\Drivers.

Btw. I've noticed you have some icon next to it (diffrent icon). May i ask why? :-) Also it seems like nice Icon. Maybe you want to share. If it looks good here I could replace the standard one I am using :-)

jinkazama

jinkazama

• PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 16-November 03
Here my icon, if you like it you can use for your software.
I've solved, thank you :)

Attached Files

ubrezet.png

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05

Example:
VEN_1106&DEV_3108
Does not install driver.

By updating drivers you mean Update All xml entry ? If yes then it doesn't work for simple reason. By using new way of finding drivers it searches for only those devices that have error codes. So if 3 devices have errors, 3 .inf's will get added to registry. I'll think how to make it work better. Probably will have to list all hwids from all devices added to system and then compare that with db and then add that entries to registry. I'll add it to ToDo list.

If it's some other problem you have lemme know and I should investigate.

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
Escorpiom i've just checked your logs further and it seems P&P won't work 100% for you anyway.

This is because of first window having:

[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button count:8
[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 1 button_class_nn:[CLASSNN:Button1]
[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 1 button_text:&Sí, sólo esta vez
[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 2 button_class_nn:[CLASSNN:Button2]
[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 2 button_text:Sí, a&hora y cada vez que conecte un dispositivo
[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 3 button_class_nn:[CLASSNN:Button3]
[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 3 button_text:&No por el momento
[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 7 button_class_nn:[CLASSNN:Button7]
[05:17:27] - [WINDOW] DEBUG: Button 7 button_text:Cancelar

which translates to something like check on internet .. i guess to go further you have to pres No por el momento ? or what do you press here ?

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
Yep Madboy, that's right.
First pops the Internet update wizard, it does that because the system is already connected to the net at that stage.
So first I check the option "No por el momento" and press the button "Siguiente" if I remember correctly.
Then, another option presents itself: Instalar automáticamente el software (recomendado)
Or
Instalar desde una lista o ubicación específica
I select Automaticamente and yes, finally the driver is installed.

There is a registry patch to disable the Internet driver update prompt. I searched for it but only Nlite seems to have that option. My last build does not have that activated.
Would like to get rid of that darn Internet update prompt. Never use that anyway. You might have some tips?

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
Manual way to disable searching for drivers on Windows update:

The required driver is missing when you are installing a device. Windows XP Prompts you to go online and search for the driver using Windows Updates. However, experience tell you that is absolutely useless and will only be adding to your hassle.

Usually a driver is included on a CD provided with the device you have purchased. If this is not the case for some reason, you can always download the software from the device manufacturer's website. Why not disable the unnecessary request to search for drivers when you can install them much faster yourself.

The Go to : "Start > Run" and type "gpedit.msc"(without quotes) and navigate to:

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System

Section on the left pane of the window. Now choose and double click on "Turn off Windows Update device driver search prompt". In the window that appears, chosse "Disable" and apply the settings.

Registry way (can be automated, most likely this will end up in tool as option): http://www.pctools.c...ry/detail/1217/

Edited by MadBoy, 06 November 2009 - 10:36 AM.

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
Madboy, I made a reg entry for that in my reg tweaks file. It will be processed at T-12.

SET KEY=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
REG ADD "%KEY% /V NoDevMgrUpdate /T REG_DWORD /D 00000001 /F

Will this work to disable the Internet update prompt?

Found the group policy entry also, but manual disabling is not an option I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
I would check if it works when you apply it in windows manually. If it does then it should work at T12.

See if this helps:

Go to Start menu, right-click on Computers and click Properties. On the left sidebar of the System dialog box, select Advanced System Settings. Now navigate to Hardware tab and click Windows Update Driver Settings. Not sure if this exists on Win Xp as i use 7 for now. Lemme know if it's there. If the switch is there try playing with applying the setting in reg.

Seems like vista http://malektips.com...ice-driver.html but might be in XP too, can't find it in 7.

Edited by MadBoy, 06 November 2009 - 11:17 AM.

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
The most annoying ting in computers is the fact that something seemingly easy results to be the opposite - so with this reg fix.
Disabling the windows driver update by Internet is controled by group policy. The reg fix I made has no effect whatsoever.
I did the trick with the hardware tab (yes it is there on XP but slightly different) and the changes made there were put in the registry under group policy.
I cannot export the key, as it is under a special random key, different for each system/user.

Pretty nasty. So far no solution found.

EDIT: Found the correct keys. These are the reg entries.

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching /v DontSearchWindowsUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching /v DontPromptForWindowsUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching /v DontSearchCD /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching /v DontSearchFloppies /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

The Internet update wizard died today. Yeah!

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

Edited by Escorpiom, 06 November 2009 - 02:59 PM.

MadBoy

MadBoy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
It's good that you found correct solution. I'll probably add it to the list :-) Also was thinking to add that Hardware Wizard management option for case when it's still enabled. We will see. At the moment I've been playing with C# and Backup Drivers app. Need to find out how things work so maybe i'll release easy to use app to backup all drivers from system.

MadBoy

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
I haven't had the time to test your latest release in combination with the reg fixes, finished the last XP based system earlier. The wait is now for another "victim" to test the program.

Before pro-s driver installer I was planning to do the method you describe: Backup a complete driverpackage and later on deploy that on another system.
I'm a tech. I work mainly with low budget, integrated hardware and notebooks. The plan was to separate driverpacks based on platform, for example Intel, SiS, Nvidia or Via.
Speed is the main concern, and automated processes will give me more time to do something else. Precious time!
So.....I will be following your inventions. What I like about Pro-S is the xml config. Very simple to setup, yet a lot of options.

I'll report back as soon as I have another system to test.

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

pSycho-Y2K

pSycho-Y2K

• 44 posts
  • Joined 20-October 04
Just wanted to say that your latest release solved all of my problems now! Thumbs up for your impressive work! :thumbup

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
I'm happy to report the same, finally all issues have been resolved.
Window managing is done correctly now, making the process totally unattended.

I'm now playing with 7z compression to bring the size down. Decompressed drivers take up a huge space on my
harddisk. Hope it won't slow down the program to much.

Thanks again Madboy for your work on this tool, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
Madboy, please bear with me. I know I'm a pain but it's all for the better.

I forgot to ask you about the subsys string issue, I had to edit some of the .inf files because they lack the subsys string and then the search&match function does not work.
If no subsys string is specified in the inf, the driver is not installed.
Look at the log file:
[DRIVERS] Running SEARCH & MATCH function. Please wait...
[03:33:41] - [DRIVER] Device => PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6&SUBSYS_53494C21 Driver Path => NOT FOUND in DB
[03:33:43] - [DRIVER] Device => PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_25621849 Driver Path => NOT FOUND in DB
[03:33:43] - [DRIVERS] SEARCH & MATCH function found 0 matching drivers
[03:33:43] - [DRIVERS] SEARCH & MATCH function found 2 drivers that have no match. Oh dear..

The inf's had only the first part specified:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C6
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2562

After adding the entry in the .inf including susbys, it works marvelous.
But you would save me a lot of work if the search&match function ONLY looks at the first part, that is VEN_XXXX and DEV_XXXX
That way I don't have to edit all the inf's.

Can this be done?

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

Edited by Escorpiom, 27 November 2009 - 03:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users