Acpi.sys broken on DVD, not on CD?

ChrisM

I have been making unattended CD's with nLite for a while already and recently I wanted to redo my newest one. So I got my original XP CD, and made it all ready, all the settings how I wanted them. I also have the latest nLite. I also made an extra-directory with some programs that I always install, so I have them ready.

Now, because of the extra-dir, it was too big to fit on a CD, so I put it on DVD. There were no errors anywhere with the nLiting process or burning (even did everything twice, to make sure!). But when I tried to install Windows, right in the beginning when still loading the setup (even before you can choose your partition), it had a problem loading acpi.sys. It said it was broken and I could only reboot. So I tried again... And tried again with another DVD... and another one. But they didn't work. Then I choose to not put to the extra files on there, so it would fit on a CD... but I didn't change anything else... and on a CD it DID work...

But nothing changed, except for the extra files... That's weird, isn't it?

Nope... Just in the middle of the blue screen it says something like "acpi.sys is broken... can't continue installation. Press any key to restart". That's it. No other error messages or anything.

hmm.. so no numbers given in the blue screen of death?

Try this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK. 
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ACPI\Parameters
Note If the Parameters subkey does not exist, right-click ACPI, point to New, and then click Key. Type Parameters as the subkey name, and then press ENTER.
3. Right-click the Attributes entry, and then click Modify.

Note If the Attributes entry does not exist, right-click Parameters, point to New, and then click DWORD value. Type Attributes as the entry name, and then press ENTER.
4. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Hexadecimal, type 100 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.

if that won't help then....

Have you been able to burn DVD's before you tried to burn your XP cd?

If not then there might be a setting or two in your BIOS that isn't correct or that your BIOS(motherbord doesn't support DVD-recorders. Then it might work if you update your BIOS.

You can also try to extract WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-***.exe

and then extract the acpi.sy_ eg. expand acpi.sy_ acpi.sys and replace the acpi.sys in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\

since acpi.sys is loaded with XP you might have to replace it in DOS mode but if i remeber correct DOS also load that file at startup so you'll have to try and try again untill you succedes.

if none of the above helps then I have no clue on what you'll have to do next..

I think you misunderstood... It happens after I created the nLited DVD and also burnt it on DVD... then I reboot and it boots on DVD... then it starts the setup-program (still very much in the beginning!!), and it loads a couple of things (such a kernel debugger and those kinds..) and it also loads acpi.sys, but that's where I get the error message.

So, it happens when I'm booting from the DVD, after I press the key for "Press any key to boot from the DVD..." and before you choose your install-partition.

replace the acpi.sy_ on your DVD with the acpi.sy_ from your WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-***.exe

and see if that helps.

Replace it just before you let nLite make an bootable iso of your dvd.

It seems that something nLite does corupts your acpi.sy_

Check the file versions and size of your acpi.sy_(s) files on both the original CD and on your nLited cd and the one you find in the WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-***.exe

eg.

windows\system32\drivers\acpi.sys 5.1.2600.2180 187 776bytes

WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-***.exe 5.1.2600.2180 187 776bytes

XP cd with sp2 5.1.2600.2180 187 776bytes

if the file have the same size and version on at all three places then there might be something else that is wrong

also see if there is an BIOS update availible for your motherboard.

or test your RAM with memtest86 since memory problem can cauce alot of error without letting you know that it is the memory that is behind all evil that happens to you...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This is an Nlite problem.

If you disable the hotfix intergration options on the intergrating page (hope you understand where i mean) so that there is NO option selected, it works OK than :)

Hello, is any way available to workaround this problem? I have this same situation with the newest nLite and XP SP3.

Regards, Janusz