What's the best DVD ripper?

shraouf

I was using VirtualDUB to convert the .vob files to .avi but it must keep the audio format AC3 so some PCs on which the codec is not installed couldn't play the sound,so can somebody help me how I can change the format to mp3 using virtualDUB or tell me about the best DVD ripper to convert the .vob files to .mpg .thanks

• 2 years later...
I was using VirtualDUB to convert the .vob files to .avi but it must keep the audio format AC3 so some PCs on which the codec is not installed couldn't play the sound,so can somebody help me how I can change the format to mp3 using virtualDUB or tell me about the best DVD ripper to convert the .vob files to .mpg .thanks

google search.

I have tried many dvd ripper .

freeware such as handbrake , super

shareware such as wondershare, iskysoft

I recommended you to use iSkysoft. It is cheap and can convert dvd to mpg files with high quality.

I use DVD Decrypter to rip only the desired part of the DVD. To convert it to another format, including avi (xvid or divx), mp4, mpg and others i use StaxRip. Its free as DVD Decrypter and it has many options. You can use mp3, ac3, aac, mp4 for audio. Takes some time to master it if you don't have much experience but in the end its very easy to use. Try it.

I agree with elajua@ and say more: DVD Decrypter, in my opinion, it's the best! :thumbup

Of course, I'm talking about RIP, not en(re)code or something like that. You can choose chapters, subs, etc. With VirtualDub you can extract the audio from a VOB and later code it as you prefer. Just click on Audio > Compression, and all codecs available will be shown.

Yeah, DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink are both great pieces of software no dubt and i also used them exclusively for a long time, but unfortunetly, then since they aren't updated anymore, then many DVDs cannot be ripped with them(e.g. ARcoSS protected titles from Sony).

For a while, there where a great project called RipIt4Me, which where a frontend for DVD Decrypter and some other tools, which made those new titles rippable, but that project unfortunetly also stopped.

Currently, then IMHO the best free DVD ripper is DVDFab HD Decrypter, since it is constantly updated to support all the new titles comming out, and then another app can be used for the transcoding process.

Personally, then i'm using DVDFab Platinum, since even though there are a free solution available(DVDFab HD Decrypter + another freebee for transcoding), then DVDFab Platinum ripps while trancoding on-the-fly, so you'd just load the disc and press a single button to e.g. get the main-movie from a DVD9 ripped + shrinked to a DVD5, or to get a DVD9 ripped + transcoded to XviD/DivX/AVC etc :)

• 1 month later...

HandBrake(GUI) is great as already suggested. If the disc is copy protected you may need to use AnyDVD. To convert video formats MediaCoder and SUPER and both great programs.

About the AC3 sound. You can edit the stereo settings manually ( I forget the program but there is many ) so that when it plays it will access left or right speaker. I don't know about surround sound. When getting the files whatever format it is in

will not affect the stereo settings.

However I personally like to use mp3 as the limit for me. You can edit the AC3 file or any file so that it will play louder in one speaker but you have to do it manually. That is like taking notes on the regular release.

My advice if you just want a direct copy is to get the toaster machine where you insert discs to make a diret copy without no need for a computer at all. Those machines are the bests at doing that. However for backing it up or converting it to a alternative type using Nandub like somebody said is the best way to go in

There is also automatic versions of rippers that does everything for you with one click ( but I forget the name ).