Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Install Windows x64 with BartPE and WinPE - How To

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

TonyPE

TonyPE
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06
You can use BartPE or Windows PE to install either edition of Windows 2003 (x86 or x64) using this tool I've written.

It's been tested with Windows 2003, SP1, SP2, R2, Web, Standard, Enterprise versions.

Download and details available here: http://home.woh.rr.com/pombo/

Edited by TonyPE, 05 April 2007 - 02:13 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Albuquerque

Albuquerque

• PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Joined 20-February 06
Generally speaking, you're completely out of luck. From Bart's intro-to-BartPE page:

64-Bit - Bart's builder does not support Windows 64-bit editions.

Jazkal

Jazkal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 16-January 04

I need to do this because you can only install Windows x64 in an unattended manner from a running x64 environment.

Make a WinXP x64 Unattended CD/DVD. That works just fine.

If you are trying to create a WinPE CD to install x64 over the network, then your only option is WinPE 1.5 or 1.6 or WinPE 2.0.

v1.5 or 1.6 is only available to certain customers.

But v2.0 is part of Longhorn/Vista. It should be easier for you to get your hands on.

I think you can get WinPE (not sure which version) is you have SMS installed.

Edited by Jazkal, 21 March 2006 - 08:46 PM.

Did you RTFM?

TonyPE

TonyPE
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Generally speaking, you're completely out of luck. From Bart's intro-to-BartPE page:

64-Bit - Bart's builder does not support Windows 64-bit editions.

I somehow missed this. Darn...

Make a WinXP x64 Unattended CD/DVD. That works just fine

How can I do this?

But v2.0 is part of Longhorn/Vista. It should be easier for you to get your hands on.

I have the Feb CTP of Vista, but the DVD doesn't seem to have anything related to PE on it. Am I missing something?

kasandoro

kasandoro

• 43 posts
  • Joined 24-January 04
Windows XP x64 Edition cd's are bootable, and installs just fine.

Jazkal

Jazkal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 16-January 04

Make a WinXP x64 Unattended CD/DVD. That works just fine

How can I do this?

Have you created a WinXP 32bit unattended CD/DVD before?

I have the Feb CTP of Vista, but the DVD doesn't seem to have anything related to PE on it. Am I missing something?

Longhorn uses WinPE2 to do the install. WinPE v2.0 is in the boot.wim. I haven't played around with it that much, but I know there are other threads on this topic.

Edited by Jazkal, 22 March 2006 - 12:06 PM.

Did you RTFM?

fizban2

fizban2

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,900 posts
  • Joined 14-April 05
the windows AIK tool kit has the PE 2.0 tools that you are looking for, if you have a MSDN account then you have access to this, also called the WAIK tollkit, included are the instructions for building and creating 32 bit and 64 bit PEs using ximage. this will be available to everyone once it comes out of the beta stages with vista.

TonyPE

TonyPE
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06
I think I found a way to use 32-bit Windows to install 64-bit Windows...

Need to test more. I'll post my results here.

ChrisBaksa

ChrisBaksa

• PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Joined 05-March 04
You can deploy 64 bit OS images under a 32 bit Version of PE. ( Ghost oe Ximage images)

But you can't run the 32 bit Windows SETUP under a 64 Bit Version of PE. And you can't run the 64 bit Version of Setup under a 32 Version of PE.

Chris

TonyPE

TonyPE
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06
I have created a Windows Script that will perform an unattended installation of Windows 2003 x64 Edition from any platform that runs Windows Scripting Host.

It's available here: Download

I've successfully installed x64 edition from BartPE. Comments are welcome.

Jazkal

Jazkal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 16-January 04
TonyPE, very interesting tool. I will give it a look, and run it through some tests.

Just a quick question, how many of the switches from winnt32.exe have you imported into this script?

Would you consider releasing the code as open source?
Did you RTFM?

TonyPE

TonyPE
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

TonyPE, very interesting tool. I will give it a look, and run it through some tests.

Just a quick question, how many of the switches from winnt32.exe have you imported into this script?

Would you consider releasing the code as open source?

I am sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't notice the message. Anyway...

I've only implemented these switches: /syspart:C: /unattend /s /makelocalsource /noreboot

Yes, I would release it as open source. There is no compilied code involved (it's a script file), so it's basically already open.

TonyPE

TonyPE
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06
This tool has been updated to version 2.0.

Changes are:
-- Program is now a native Windows 32-bit application. Windows scripting host is no longer required.
-- Enhanced logging and output options
-- Bootsector file is now automatically generated and works on any hard drive. (Fixed reboot and freeze problems)
-- Fixed a bug where boot.ini file always referenced C: even when the user specified a different drive letter.
-- Runs faster (native application)

Download from: http://home.woh.rr.com/pombo/

Jazkal

Jazkal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 16-January 04
Very nice, good job!
Did you RTFM?

eastonj

eastonj

• 12 posts
  • Joined 07-June 04
Tony,

I tried your program and the only thing I had a problem with is that your program requires a OEMFilesPath= in the unattend where as MS seems to indicate its optional. According the ref.chm;

OemFilesPath
Specifies the path to the \$OEM$ folder (containing OEM files) if it does not exist under the \platform folder of the distribution share point, where platform is i386, amd64, or ia64.

Since my $OEM$ folders are under the /platform folder, I've never specified them with a OEMFilesPath=

Otherwise, a nice program.

-Jeff

betamax

betamax

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 11-March 05
A few questions:

When you start an install with syspart and makelocalsource, does it leave the local source files on the drive after setup has completed? Where does it leave them?

Does it set the registry values to point to the local source as the SourcePath, or does it still refer to the CD?

After you run winnt32.exe from the PE environment and reboot (to start text setup from the HDD), do you need the CD anymore? Or can it be removed from the cd rom drive?

TonyPE

TonyPE
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

I tried your program and the only thing I had a problem with is that your program requires a OEMFilesPath= in the unattend where as MS seems to indicate its optional.

Since my $OEM$ folders are under the /platform folder, I've never specified them with a OEMFilesPath=

Otherwise, a nice program.

Thank you, and you are correct. As a workaround, you can specify an empty folder for OEMFilesPath. I'll fix this in the next release.

TonyPE

TonyPE
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

When you start an install with syspart and makelocalsource, does it leave the local source files on the drive after setup has completed? Where does it leave them?

No, just as Windows setup does not.

Does it set the registry values to point to the local source as the SourcePath, or does it still refer to the CD?

It still refers to the CD. I use a .REG file to change the source to a network share on my installations.

After you run winnt32.exe from the PE environment and reboot (to start text setup from the HDD), do you need the CD anymore? Or can it be removed from the cd rom drive?

Once the ManualWindowsSetup.EXE program exits, the CD is no longer needed and can be removed at any time thereafter.

FYI, my scripts reboot the system after ManualWindowsSetup.EXE finishes. I use a bootable CD with the "Press any key to boot from CD" patch, so I don't need to be around to eject the disk.

IISINF

IISINF
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 21-September 07
We are using theManualWindowsSetup.exe from Tony to run XP64bit from WINPE 2.0.

It works like a charm but when we reboot the system the disk isn't bootable.
Any suggestions?

TIA,

Martin

gar123

gar123
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07
maybe u need to run bootsect to apply switching between BOOTMGR and NTLDR if u are booting 2003

NYTAIceman

NYTAIceman

• 10 posts
  • Joined 02-September 04
Hi,

i'm very interested about the solution to stage a 64bit Server with a 32bit PE Session.

The solution from TonyPE with a compiled .exe seems to be a possible way, but i do like to have the source code, before i stage my servers with this tool.

I've try to contact TonyPE but he does not answer me.

Has anybody the sourcecode or the batchfiles (Before he has compiled as a native app)?

Thank you very much!

Greets

killerb255

killerb255

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 26-May 07
Just make an x64 version of WinPE 2.0 and install from it.

Follow one of the tutorials within the forums, but use the AMD64 folders instead of the x86 folders.

Also, if the OS won't boot after initial setup, then check this article out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931760

You don't have to call Microsoft for the patch. Just edit your PE registry according to the article before using DISKPART to create your partitions.

NYTAIceman

NYTAIceman

• 10 posts
  • Joined 02-September 04
Hi killerbi255,

I'm sorry but you have not read my text... I need a solutions to stage a windows 64bit Version with a Windows PE 32bit Version.
I can't work with a PE 64bit because the code of my other applications isn't 64bit ready.

Windows PE 64 has no WOW64 on board, therefore I can't start my own applications.

Ok, again:
Has anybody the sourcecode of ManualWindowsSetup.exe or the batch files?

Thanks again.

Greets, Iceman

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,649 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Hi killerbi255,

I'm sorry but you have not read my text... I need a solutions to stage a windows 64bit Version with a Windows PE 32bit Version.
I can't work with a PE 64bit because the code of my other applications isn't 64bit ready.

Windows PE 64 has no WOW64 on board, therefore I can't start my own applications.

Ok, again:
Has anybody the sourcecode of ManualWindowsSetup.exe or the batch files?

Thanks again.

Greets, Iceman

Version 1 is here (not really "hidden" ;) ) :
http://home.woh.rr.com/pombo/tools/
http://home.woh.rr.c...ndowsSetup1.zip

Besides being compiled, version 2.0 coorected bugs of version 1.0, so, without TonyPE's support, you might need to directly correct them in the .wsh, if those bugs affect your particular setup.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 14 December 2007 - 07:58 AM.

imalone

imalone
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 08-January 09
Hey all, I know this is a very old post but I was wondering if anyone still has these files that TonyPE has mentioned, or whether anyone knows of anyway to initiate a 64bit Windows 2003 unattended build using BartPE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users