Install Windows x64 with BartPE and WinPE - How To

TonyPE

I need to do this because you can only install Windows x64 in an unattended manner from a running x64 environment.

Make a WinXP x64 Unattended CD/DVD. That works just fine.

If you are trying to create a WinPE CD to install x64 over the network, then your only option is WinPE 1.5 or 1.6 or WinPE 2.0.

v1.5 or 1.6 is only available to certain customers.

But v2.0 is part of Longhorn/Vista. It should be easier for you to get your hands on.

I think you can get WinPE (not sure which version) is you have SMS installed.

Edited by Jazkal

Generally speaking, you're completely out of luck. From Bart's intro-to-BartPE page:
64-Bit - Bart's builder does not support Windows 64-bit editions.

I somehow missed this. Darn...

Make a WinXP x64 Unattended CD/DVD. That works just fine
How can I do this?
But v2.0 is part of Longhorn/Vista. It should be easier for you to get your hands on.

I have the Feb CTP of Vista, but the DVD doesn't seem to have anything related to PE on it. Am I missing something?

Make a WinXP x64 Unattended CD/DVD. That works just fine

How can I do this?

Have you created a WinXP 32bit unattended CD/DVD before?

I have the Feb CTP of Vista, but the DVD doesn't seem to have anything related to PE on it. Am I missing something?

Longhorn uses WinPE2 to do the install. WinPE v2.0 is in the boot.wim. I haven't played around with it that much, but I know there are other threads on this topic.

Edited by Jazkal

the windows AIK tool kit has the PE 2.0 tools that you are looking for, if you have a MSDN account then you have access to this, also called the WAIK tollkit, included are the instructions for building and creating 32 bit and 64 bit PEs using ximage. this will be available to everyone once it comes out of the beta stages with vista.

• 2 weeks later...

You can deploy 64 bit OS images under a 32 bit Version of PE. ( Ghost oe Ximage images)

But you can't run the 32 bit Windows SETUP under a 64 Bit Version of PE. And you can't run the 64 bit Version of Setup under a 32 Version of PE.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have created a Windows Script that will perform an unattended installation of Windows 2003 x64 Edition from any platform that runs Windows Scripting Host.

It's available here: Download

I've successfully installed x64 edition from BartPE. Comments are welcome.

TonyPE, very interesting tool. I will give it a look, and run it through some tests.

Just a quick question, how many of the switches from winnt32.exe have you imported into this script?

Would you consider releasing the code as open source?

• 4 weeks later...
TonyPE, very interesting tool. I will give it a look, and run it through some tests.

Just a quick question, how many of the switches from winnt32.exe have you imported into this script?

Would you consider releasing the code as open source?

I am sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't notice the message. Anyway...

I've only implemented these switches: /syspart:C: /unattend /s /makelocalsource /noreboot

Yes, I would release it as open source. There is no compilied code involved (it's a script file), so it's basically already open.

• 10 months later...

This tool has been updated to version 2.0.

Changes are:

-- Program is now a native Windows 32-bit application. Windows scripting host is no longer required.

-- Enhanced logging and output options

-- Bootsector file is now automatically generated and works on any hard drive. (Fixed reboot and freeze problems)

-- Fixed a bug where boot.ini file always referenced C: even when the user specified a different drive letter.

-- Runs faster (native application)

Download from: http://home.woh.rr.com/pombo/

Tony,

I tried your program and the only thing I had a problem with is that your program requires a OEMFilesPath= in the unattend where as MS seems to indicate its optional. According the ref.chm;

OemFilesPath

Specifies the path to the \$OEM$ folder (containing OEM files) if it does not exist under the \platform folder of the distribution share point, where platform is i386, amd64, or ia64.

Since my $OEM$ folders are under the /platform folder, I've never specified them with a OEMFilesPath=

Otherwise, a nice program.

-Jeff