file sharing error

bwana

I have a PC (named PC1 running win xp with sp2 and various tweaks) that doesnt permit other computers to copy files from it.

Operators from other PCs (PC2 - win xp sp2 with antivirus installed, PC3 -win xp sp2 stock,and PC4 -win2k sp4) can delete and transfer files to PC1 but when a file from PC1 is 'dragged to the desktop of the other machine by its operator, a dialog appears

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cannot copy file:Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write protected

and that the file is not currently in use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PC1 can copy, transfer and delete files on the other machines no problem. PC2, PC3, PC4 have no problem with each other.

A new share on PC1 has the same behavior as the preexisting shares-the operator of PC2(or PC3 or PC4 for that mattter) can push files to it, delete files in it, but NOT copy files from it - the same behavior is exhibited if i create a new folder on PC1 with wide open permissions (full control) for everyone, guests, administrators and set security wide open as well - full control for everyone.

also, if the operator of PC2 tries to copy a file from PC1 into a folder on PC2 where the file already exists(drag a file to PC2)-interesting behavior occurs- a dialog pops up asking if i want to replace the file- i click yes- a progress bar appears indicating the copy process and at the end of that-the dreaded file access denied error dialog appears. the preexisting file on PC2 now has disappearred. this problem only appears to the operator of PC2. the operator on PC1 has full control.

In short, PC1 will only let macs copy files from it! A pc with a mac infatuation? How can I fix this?! I ran the network setup wizard on the other healthy pcs and then executed the netsetup app on PC1 with the floppy i generated on pc2. Still, no improvement.

Help?!

• 2 months later...

I'm having what seems to be the exact same problem. Did anyone find a resolution to this one? I'll try and describe it as well:

I have two PCs, both running XP Pro:

PC1

PC2

Assume the below description takes place in the same folder.

I have folders shared on PC1, and I am using PC2. From PC2, I can write files to the share, delete files from the share, even copy files from the PC1 share that exist on PC2. There are some new files on PC1 that are not on PC2. When I try to 'pull' the files into PC2 from PC1 I get the dreaded "Cannot Copy...Access is denied...Make sure the file is not in use......" I can 'push' these files from PC1 to PC2 no problem. 'Everyone' has full access, I'm logged on to both machines as admin, firewalls are disabled. What gives???

Thanks for your help!

There are two different types of permissions to check: network and NTFS. Even if a file is shared to EVERYONE, NTFS permissions can trump that.

Network: Right-click on the folder/file, go to sharing, and check the permissions in that window

NTFS: Right-click on the folder/file, go to security, and check the permissions

Either page can trump the other. ROT: the more strict rule wins.

In explorer, click 'tools' folder options', 'view', and tick 'show hidden files and folders. Hit 'F5' to refresh the target directory to ensure that the file(s) don't already exist.

Check the properties of the file(s)...are they marked as 'system' or 'read-only'?

Is anyone else on the network using the files?