What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

For now, Avira Antivir 7.0
I'm actually considering switching to this from Kaspersky. It has a higher detection rate and the GUI is very nice. The memory usage is fine, two services, responsive and detailed. It was actually fun taking screenshots of it compared to some other products I tried.

I'm tempted to switch to Antivir as well but, honesty, I think its GUI is one of the worst that I have seen IMO :}

Edited by Macstorm

I'm tempted to switch to Antivir as well but, honesty, I think its GUI is one of the worst that I have seen IMO :}

Well, we all have our preferences. What specifically are you referring to? Accessing options? Colors? :P

I'd say make due with the GUI or get used to hotkeys because it's detection rate is terrific.

Well, we all have our preferences. What specifically are you referring to? Accessing options? Colors? :P

All of them... and the umbrella :D

I'd say make due with the GUI or get used to hotkeys because it's detection rate is terrific.

I agree, the GUI has nothing to do with effectiveness (nod32 the best example here, ugly GUI) but certainly I'd like they improve the current 'plain design' of Antivir and change it to, say, just like F-Secure, BitDefender and others..

I was testing NOD32 from two weeks back.......until today. Yes, it is light, speedy, low on resources but....NO WAY!

Earlier today I downloaded a .rar file to my desktop which supossedly contains a ......(think it's against the forum rules so I won't give details, PM me for them) which is infected with 'Trojan.Win32.Autoit.ac' detected only by Authentium, CAT-QuickHeal, eSafe, Fortinet, F-Prot, F-Secure, Ikarus, Kaspersky, McAfee and VirusBuster (according to http://www.virustotal.com & http://virusscan.jotti.org/ )

The up to date NOD32 ignored the infected file but Kaspersky Virus File Scanner did the trick :thumbup

Now I'm back to KAV 6 and won't look to others anymore!

Do you know how many variants of one virus there are out there? There are more variants than original viruses these days. Thousands. Not all virus scanners have identical virus definitions. NOD32 will get some that all others miss and vice-versa. It could be a false-positive which is to be expected with in-depth heuristic scanning. But that heuristic scanning is what has kept NOD32 on top of every "in-the-wild" virus in the past decade or so.

Some people will argue that you can't rely on only one scanner. My above paragraph explains exactly why.

Long story short, it's unfair to diss a scanner because it misses out on one particular variant or describes a non-malicious file as a false-positive. Why don't you contribute something in return by e-mailing Eset and let them know so they can investigate and either add the virus to their database or update their signatures to properly classify the file?

Virus scanners help you stay clean, so help them in return to become better scanners.

Done. Redownloaded malicious file and sent it to Eset & Avira.

Btw, I've been browsing the web and have read many similar experiences from other users with nod32 just like mine. This trojan was detected by KL on Dec 17 2006...but Eset or Avira!!! (I was just about to switch to AntiVir)... I simply cannot accept this :no:

If you can find the trojan yourself, then you alone have the ability to delete it whether through Unlocker, some program that will delete it at next reboot or by booting to a CD with a file manager (like a Live Linux distro or Reatogo Builder). Hell, technically FileMon can be classified as anti-malware. You can see every access/modify/write attempt made by any process so if IE is being screwed by spyware, you'll just have to surf through a log file until you find the suspicious file. I just use anti-virus to scan files I download. If I were to ever find a suspicious file (since I am very familiar with Windows files) I'd delete it myself using one of the methods I mentioned above.

Thanks, I'll keep your suggestions for future use :)

Happily I have not been infected then, since I didn't open that file, I just wanted to pointed out the fact (and a must) to scan every single file downloaded from internet by several AV scanners, before they are opened and/or executed.

Kaspersky rules!

• 2 weeks later...
well, with Firefox, u almost never need the anti virus! ;)

Almost never, depending on your downloading habits. I somehow managed to become infected with some dozens of trojans. Kaspersky cleaned everything except for one it did not detect which I immediately e-mailed to Kaspersky informing them. Hopefully, it'll be on a near-future hourly definition update.

Edited by Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Panda Internet Security 2007 platinum all the way. Parental controls, Daily automatic updates, TOP-OF-THE-LINE security. This software is 10X better than NOD32, Norton, or any other "popular" software. I would highly recommend this to anyone who does extensive web surfing, and/or frequent software installs. I personally would get this, if you don't-do not come crying to me when you have a virus on your system. Especially when your out of date virus program doesn't update automatically. I'll just be sitting back, relaxing, and knowing that my computer is protected from a virus that hasn't even been created yet. :thumbup