What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

Mcaffee, now i have to go update the security guide since they old antivirus one was deleted, ah well :P

but does deepfreeze count as an antivirus?

Edited by wolf74481

Kaspersky offers the best protection, NOD32 uses the less recources and AntiVir is the best free one. Symantec Norton is really a resource-eater, it was preinstallen on my PC but not for long. I have Kaspersky installed now but most of the time it's not loaded. It bothers me to much with tasks and I almost never get virusses. Like someone already said: Windows XP SP2 is secure enough, I'm behind a router and e-mails are always scanned before they reach your PC.

I use AVG free, but I can't really recommend it. It's very light and very cheap (free). But as far as you should believe in AV software tests it doesn't come out very good anymore. This used to be better before!

Antivir seems to be a better candidate when you look at freebies, but latest version 7 still has problems. At least a lot with me and visiting their support forum showed that I am not alone.

But I haven't seen a virus or any malware in years just like many here. And I am still on Win98se!

Afterall, it's mostly behaviour that is secure or not.

Having the best AV software will just make you careless :D

Then I used InoculateIt which was a free version of some Aust . product I think. They scraped the free version, so I switched to AVG.

Yes, InoculateIT was a free release from Computer Associates. They killed it off when they released the very affordable [but not free] eTrust EZ Antivirus.

I do not believe that you should have to pay to protect the operating system; that's a defect; no matter that some third party is attacking your business - you should protect your users free.

So, Microsoft, buy NOD32 and give it to me free with Vista. And pigs might fly again! ;)

I agree in that one shouldn't require a third-party AV to protect an OS. However, this is one of those in an ideal world deals for me. As it stands we don't live in one and I doubt we ever will. The last thing in the world I'd want is MS to acquire Eset or just about any other AV company. God help us if they picked Symantec... can you imagine the bloated pile of dung they'd release? I have enough issues with MS' security problems w/o depending on them for an AV product as well. I foresee an MS AV product being like Symantec with their seemingly endless discoveries of flaws in their security and antivirus products. So very ironic.

After enough years experimenting with a ton of different AVs I've settled on using Eset NOD32 for my day-to-day AV. For me it has the best of everything I need and doesn't bog down my system. It might not be empirically ranked as the number 1 AV product but it's close enough.

rotjong