What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

Microsoft Security Essentials is good too.

for me not. Ms removed all important options and over simplified it so much, that the program is useless. MSE is so terrible slow and slowdown Windows too much.

So, what *do* you recommend?

• 8 months later...

What i have used: Website:

AVG: Great , i suggest and keeps viruses away and keeps performance. free trial http://www.avg.com/eu-en/homepage

Kaspersky: Worst ever protection: not really good, slows performance forever. paid http://www.kaspersky.com/?domain=kasperky.com

Norton 360: Very Good very good protection and keeps performance. shows site security detaileadly free trial http://www.norton.com

additional good tools:

Malwarebytes ANTI-MALWARE: very good malware and adware etc protection free version http://www.malwarebytes.org/

CCleaner cleans registry errors etc... free forever http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

spyware doctor is okay to but i have only those that are above

//AndreG7899 a.k.a DataCracker7899 administrator of G7 NanoHax

Edited by Tripredacus

• 5 years later...

hi folks
please help me
I can't find out with antivirus choosing
I found the nice review with stars which mean rating

but I'm not sure in trustfully this platform

here is it

Edited by Tripredacus
removed link

The link you posted has been removed. It seems not to be spam, as in, it isn't selling anything, but its content is aggregated on many other of those useless/generic blog/websites and there isn't really anything of value there. Just to say it recommended Kapersky as #1 in all of the reviews.

There has been some time since when this thread was made and the results of the poll may not be accurate to today. Someone who uses NOD32 would need to chime in on this, as it is the run-away winner...

I personally still do not use any antivirus, besides Windows Defender that is built into the OS.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, Tripredacus said:

The link you posted has been removed. It seems not to be spam, as in, it isn't selling anything, but its content is aggregated on many other of those useless/generic blog/websites and there isn't really anything of value there. Just to say it recommended Kapersky as #1 in all of the reviews.

There has been some time since when this thread was made and the results of the poll may not be accurate to today. Someone who uses NOD32 would need to chime in on this, as it is the run-away winner...

I personally still do not use any antivirus, besides Windows Defender that is built into the OS.

Same here - I still don't use any antivirus, but would recommend Windows Defender for normal home users - it does a fairly decent job and rates favorably on av-comparatives tests.

For power/heavy users however, I still recommend ESET's NOD32 due to it's scanning speed, detection rates and low resource impact. If you've got say millions of files you want to scan then stay away from Windows Defender / System Center Endpoint Protection. At work, we have a file server with 1.2 billion files and Windows Defender (SCEP) would take over 10 days to do a full scan - it seems that it doesn't store hashes of scanned files, so when you do a scheduled scan, it still scans files that haven't been touched in years, which is very inefficient. Plus it takes ages to scan archives. I could write an entire essay on how Defender/SCEP is horrible choice for a large organisation, but that's for a separate post....

On 10/11/2018 at 2:48 PM, Jody Thornton said:

For Windows 8, I'll use Windows Defender, alongside on-demand scans with Malwarebytes (I still use v1.75 with current definitions).

For Windows Vista, 7 or XP, I'd install Comodo Anti-Virus.  It seems complete, and REALLY quick.

+1 for Defender + MalwareBytes - great combo!

However I wouldn't recommend or trust Comodo any longer, after their systems were breached and their SSL certs were compromised... See: https://bravatek.com/comodo-certificate-hack-it-gets-worse/

---

On an unrelated note, I'm surprised this topic is still active and not locked down. This is my first post here after 6 years, lol.

1 hour ago, [deXter] said:

+1 for Defender + MalwareBytes - great combo!

However I wouldn't recommend or trust Comodo any longer, after their systems were breached and their SSL certs were compromised... See: https://bravatek.com/comodo-certificate-hack-it-gets-worse/

---

On an unrelated note, I'm surprised this topic is still active and not locked down. This is my first post here after 6 years, lol.

I don't find that xper really locks threads on this site.  To me locking threads and forcing newly made ones, just adds bulk to the forum.  Besides, what if you have a new answer to provide the topic years later?

And thanks for the heads up on Comodo.  Luckily I've retired my Vista box, but my mom uses XP/POS Updates.  I had her uninstall MSE v4.304.0 because she was getting the over-active CPU usage (and fan noise).  He system sped up immensely when it was gone, so I was going to install Comodo on it.  Maybe now I won't.

I still am not using any anti-virus. Never had any such need. Have the built in Windows Defender with my Windows 10 install. If I need be, I have my lifetime license for Malwarebytes.

As stated, Comodo is worthless for any of their so called products. They had too many issues in the past and frankly, I'd recommend Norton over them any day.

For antivirus, Malwarebytes. They're not a full on av, but they cover the entire spectrum. If someone truly wants a good anti-virus that's free, Avira is nice overall.

I will say, I miss Outpost Pro firewall. GlassWire is decent but not as comprehensive. It uses the Windows Firewall so it still does just fine. I'm waiting for Malwarebytes to have a firewall, and hoping it will be of the same quality that Outpost was.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

me too me too

Look to:

NetStalker.exe

DNSQuerySniffer.exe

CrowdInspect32

CProcess.exe

TCPView.exe

ProcNetMonitor.exe

WiFiGuard.exe

MbrScan.exe

ADSD Revealer.exe

MBAM Free v1.75.0.1300

adwcleaner_6.046.exe

UltraAdwareKiller.exe

PcHunter32.exe

PowerTool32.exe

WiseRegCleaner.exe

SpyDLLRemover.exe

MyDefrag

Process Hacker

CCleaner

Well I don't use these anymore in real life, sorry...ha:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, msfntor said:

Process Hacker

That application is really a useful and helpful one. I remember using it previously for years, and still do until now. :)

5 hours ago, msfntor said:

CCleaner

I used to have this application too, but I don't use it anymore nowadays.

9 hours ago, mina7601 said:
15 hours ago, msfntor said:

CCleaner

I used to have this application too, but I don't use it anymore nowadays.

Use too WISE Disk Cleaner 7.

10 hours ago, mina7601 said:
15 hours ago, msfntor said:

Process Hacker

That application is really a useful and helpful one. I remember using it previously for years, and still do until now. :)

Useful too DTaskManager ...sometimes