What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?  

1,070 members have voted

1. 1. What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

• AntiVir
    • Avast
    • AVG
    • BitDefender
    • ClamAV
    • eTrust
    • F-Prot
    • Kaspersky
    • McAfee
    • NOD32
    • Norton
    • Symantec
    • Trend Micro
    • Other - ?
    • None!

There's way too may horror stories with NOD, some of which i've experienced myself on other peoples machines. IMO, for all intents and purposes, NOD is a virus.
In computer security, a computer virus is a self-replicating computer program that spreads by inserting copies of itself into other executable code or documents.
Wikipedia - Computer Virus

I've never heard of NOD32 installing itself on other computers automatically... :P

But honestly - "way too many horror stories"? I've heard of some incompatibilities (DX8 cards and the custom GUI for example, Azureus IMON problem), but never any real horror stories. Any links or specific examples?

That's defintately cool. I'll be adding that to my USB stick. :)

I've never heard of NOD32 installing itself on other computers automatically... :P

...But honestly - "way too many horror stories"? I've heard of some incompatibilities (DX8 cards and the custom GUI for example, Azureus IMON problem), but never any real horror stories. Any links or specific examples?

Man-oh-man!!! I did it AGAIN! My fault -- i keep confusing NOD with NORTON! Far as i know, NOD is a very good product. Sorry about that.

I use AVG free. im thinking about getting kaspersky, but i see no resion to stop useing avg. its worked great for me so far.

i would also like to conferm how much norton sucks. its not even funny.

how good is NOD32?

Edited by janus zeal

You can download a 30-day trial of NOD32 from their website - www.eset.com

I've always prefered NOD32 over Kaspersky - it's not me saying one is better than the other - it's just personal preference. Kaspersky is a very good on-demand scanner, and I've heard that the real-time scanning performance has improved with version 6, but I haven't tested it yet.

NOD32 got my vote. It boiled down to the resource usage. I used it on my 2000 Server (AMD K6-II 350 w/ 128MB RAM) up until recently. It had a bad reaction to heat. Anyway, it ran great on that little old box for a couple of years. The interface is a little clunky which is the only downfall I can think of for it.

I still have Norton SystemWorks 2004 on my main system w/ no problems & decent detection when I do something stupid. It does have problems removing things, though. I then have to remove them manually. It has some other functions that I like so I haven't jumped ship...yet. I definitely will never touch their Internet Security Suite. I have seen many problems first-hand with Symantec products & don't recommend them to anyone, nor will I buy anymore. :realmad:

I use AVG on my wife's computer and that works ok.

I use McAfee Enterprise 8.0 on my laptop. Seems to work just fine and can detect some adware/spyware.

I will have to try out Kaspersky. Since 2002, when I first heard of them, they've been held in high regard. Looks like another job for VMware. :yes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...