Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

Poll: What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend? (1064 member(s) have cast votes)

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

1. Voted AntiVir (53 votes [5.49%])

Percentage of vote: 5.49%

2. Voted Avast (94 votes [9.73%])

Percentage of vote: 9.73%

3. AVG (97 votes [10.04%])

Percentage of vote: 10.04%

4. Voted BitDefender (26 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

5. ClamAV (14 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

6. eTrust (12 votes [1.24%])

Percentage of vote: 1.24%

7. F-Prot (11 votes [1.14%])

Percentage of vote: 1.14%

8. Voted Kaspersky (154 votes [15.94%])

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

9. Voted McAfee (30 votes [3.11%])

Percentage of vote: 3.11%

10. Voted NOD32 (272 votes [28.16%])

Percentage of vote: 28.16%

11. Norton (28 votes [2.90%])

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

12. Voted Symantec (60 votes [6.21%])

Percentage of vote: 6.21%

13. Voted Trend Micro (20 votes [2.07%])

Percentage of vote: 2.07%

14. Voted Other - ? (51 votes [5.28%])

Percentage of vote: 5.28%

15. None! (44 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

eXtremeDX

eXtremeDX

teh 98SE luv3r

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 28-May 08
OK, bite me. i'm being asked to switch to NOD32 all the time, and they claim for full virus detection. I had it pre-installed with my OEM, and guess what, sucked...

Funny, every single flash drive comes with a trojan/infostealer that NOD32 doesn't detect. Norton kills them all.

AVG keeps telling "threat sucessfully revomed", the funny part is that won't stop 'till i delete the file by my own :(

i'd respect other's choice :P
-------------------------------------------------------------
Norton is pretty good for my home use. I use XP on my PC, 98SE is in the old one.

WoW, i R bad fella - DX -

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

rfwoodwork

rfwoodwork
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 27-June 07
I have used several different antivirus programs, Norton, Macafee, AVG, PCtools spyware doctor with antivirus, right now I have sunbelts vipre, I just loaded that, but no problems, and it is also very light on sys resources, and it also includes counterspy. I like counter spy cuase it to is lite on sys resources and is as good as pctools spyware doctor.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,959 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I do not use any anti-virus. The last time I had anti-virus was an old version of McAfee that ran off a floppy disk (boot disk) way back in 1997. Since this time I have only gotten 2 viruses, and those were ones that I had installed myself to see how to remove them. My computers are always setup to for maximum security and I do not allow anyone else to use them.

I usually recommend people to use Panda, because you can get it free for a year, although I wish they had a lite-version since it adds like 9 processes to Windows.

Edited by Tripredacus, 19 August 2008 - 11:39 AM.

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

Macstorm

Macstorm

MSFN Killer!

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 04-December 03

OK, bite me. i'm being asked to switch to NOD32 all the time, and they claim for full virus detection. I had it pre-installed with my OEM, and guess what, sucked...

Funny, every single flash drive comes with a trojan/infostealer that NOD32 doesn't detect. Norton kills them all.

AVG keeps telling "threat sucessfully revomed", the funny part is that won't stop 'till i delete the file by my own :(

i'd respect other's choice :P
-------------------------------------------------------------
Norton is pretty good for my home use. I use XP on my PC, 98SE is in the old one.

Get serious.

Buy KAV B)

Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude

xpize & vize coordinator

• Developer
  • 266 posts
  • Joined 24-April 08
I prefer avast! . Great and active (not to mention fun) community.

Besides, it may not be the best, but I can surely layer and customize for a near complete suite. Right now, my security tools and my common sense keeps me protected :D !!

As for Symantec ... Erm ... Had a horrible experience with Norton 2002. Never going back. But the lightweightness of Symantec Corporate is inviting ... Oh wait, they *upgraded* that --> http://en.wikipedia....oint_Protection ;) . Nope, not moving anymore !!

Edited by Happy-Dude, 20 August 2008 - 12:14 AM.

Posted Image
* CodePlex - For the framework: http://anolis.codeplex.com/
* xpize Homepage: http://www.xpize.net/
* Vize Homepage: http://www.vizeos.net/
* Anolis Homepage: http://anol.is/
* Anolis on dA: http://anolisfx.deviantart.com

narayanaswamy

narayanaswamy

• 25 posts
  • Joined 02-September 08
now i'm using kaspersky and i think its doing a very good job.it has got very much options so that u can set it according to ur need....but if u prefer for a free one i would recommend avira antivir...

eyeball

eyeball

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Joined 28-October 05

now i'm using kaspersky and i think its doing a very good job.it has got very much options so that u can set it according to ur need....but if u prefer for a free one i would recommend avira antivir...

Good Man! :thumbup

MrCobra

MrCobra

• PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04
NOD32 along with ThreatFire.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,723 posts
  • Joined 06-December 06
Was PC field engineer for 4-5 years, in IT for more than 15, perhaps 80% of the jobs were malware on PCs with the bloated preinstalled Norton and McAfee. Number of jobs due to Norton AV screwing Secure web pages, for some reason unregistering a few DLLs, leading to empty pages and non-working applets such as System Restore, Search etc etc. Thank you Symantec and McAfee, you have brought so many clients... :thumbup
NOD32- useless in my opinion. I have seen so many PCs, where it's real-time scanner missed viruses, but on manual scan it finds them as such, properly configured, licensed versions...Are people really attracted by it's small footprint? Or what? I really wonder where all the noise about NOD comes from...

One of the sites, which happens to cover exactly my observations, have a look at the tests- http://www.virus.gr/portal/en/
To declare- I am not associated with it in any way, it just repeats my observations during the years. And this is for detection rates, how well the malware is cleaned and how well the real-time scanner protects itself and blocks the malware before it gets installed is another story, and in my opinion KAV is unbeatable last few years.

Another point- I often find new undetected malware (scan at virusscan.jotti.org or virustotal.com) and send them to a few famous AV vendors. KAV usually replies within an hour and within 2-3 hours signatures are updated for the examples I had sent. DrWeb has the same response time.
Symantec- since first 5 times I got no answer I stopped sending them. McAfee- first few samples answer was received between 2 and 4 weeks.
TrendMicro- 5 weeks on the first 2 and I stopped sending them as well.
NOD was not among those and cannot comment in this aspect.

Get serious.

Buy KAV B)

Exactly.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

sternkanz

sternkanz

• 13 posts
  • Joined 29-September 08
My choice is definitely AntiVir, its lightweight enough, it has a simple interface, and it has one of the highest detection rates of any AV (NB I do not say highest because detection rates are based on particular test data, some AV comparisons are biased with virii/trojans known to detect better on one AV or other).

Also, what I really really like about AntiVir is that it hasn't tried to do -everything- like lots of AV/Firewall/Anti-Spyware developers seem to be doing. When I want an AV program, I want an AV program, not an AV program with crappy anti-spyware attachments.

I use AntiVir for AV,
Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for anti-spyware (not ad-aware because the new version sucks)
Zonealarm for firewall.
I run a limited user account on Windows - this is one of the most best ways you can help protect your computer, and I keep up to date with all of my software.

Here is a great blog for keeping up to date with security announcements: http://voices.washin...om/securityfix/
And here is a great link to a software update checker: http://secunia.com/v...ility_scanning/

Best advice:
Run limited user account
Always uninstall old (unsecure) versions of software before updating to new
Do not use IE (except for Windows updates on Windows XP)
Use Noscript and Adblockplus plugins for Firefox
Browse carefully

Edited by sternkanz, 09 October 2008 - 08:12 AM.

eyeball

eyeball

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Joined 28-October 05

My choice is definitely AntiVir, its lightweight enough, it has a simple interface, and it has one of the highest detection rates of any AV (NB I do not say highest because detection rates are based on particular test data, some AV comparisons are biased with virii/trojans known to detect better on one AV or other).

Also, what I really really like about AntiVir is that it hasn't tried to do -everything- like lots of AV/Firewall/Anti-Spyware developers seem to be doing. When I want an AV program, I want an AV program, not an AV program with crappy anti-spyware attachments.

I use AntiVir for AV,
Spywareblaster and Spybot SD for anti-spyware (not ad-aware because the new version sucks)
Zonealarm for firewall.
I run a limited user account on Windows - this is one of the most best ways you can help protect your computer, and I keep up to date with all of my software.

Here is a great blog for keeping up to date with security announcements: http://voices.washin...om/securityfix/
And here is a great link to a software update checker: http://secunia.com/v...ility_scanning/

Best advice:
Run limited user account
Always uninstall old (unsecure) versions of software before updating to new
Do not use IE
Use Noscript and Adblockplus plugins for Firefox
Browse carefully

Well said Sir!

sternkanz

sternkanz

• 13 posts
  • Joined 29-September 08
I've got to add to my list of recommendations Malware bytes Anti-Malware. My sisters computer recently had an infection of several trojans and spyware programs and Anti-Malware was able to remove them properly during startup. I wish Spybot S&D and more AV programs had a feature like this. I've edited my post. :)

nullbyte

nullbyte

• 12 posts
  • Joined 04-October 08
I use Avast! Home Edition :) Is perfect for me.

adrian2055

adrian2055

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 07-July 06
Don't know if I posted on this topic, but If I did I'll post again. Most people hate the one I use, but I personally like panda antivirus. It works great for me. Some people say that It slows their systems down, but I don't have any problems with it and my system doesn't run slow. I've used it on several computers and never had a problem.

Mousum

Mousum

• 20 posts
  • Joined 09-June 05
What do you guys say about Nav 2009?

LordWarlock

LordWarlock

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 11-September 05
Compared to previous versions, NAV 2009 is great, they fixed most of the glitches and it has a completely new installer/uninstaller that actually works, it still leaves behind some traces on uninstall, but nothing that would break your system. Detection rate is among the best and resource usage was also lowered, but it's still more on the heavy side.

Re NOD32:
Forget about it, it still has excelent detection rates, but once something slips past it, it's useless, can't remove most of the current viruses and forget about any protection against rootkits. They need to come up with a new engine that would be able to handle current forms of malware. In the past few weeks I had to clean a lot of PCs with NOD that had been completely taken over by some variant of Vundo/Virtumonde that used rootkit to hide part of its files, NOD was able to detect and remove the visible files, but could not remove the hidden part, so the virus always reinstalled itself. In the end I cleaned it using the standalone antirootkit tool from avast (you can find it on their beta forums), they use the same engine in latests builds of 4.8 version of their antivirus (and unlike the standalone tool, it's not beta anymore), so if avast was installed on those machines, it would be able to clean it.

Just for reference : Treatment of active infections (use google translation)

ben100014

ben100014

A 4 year MSFN "Newbie" :P

• 45 posts
  • Joined 04-March 07
You may think that I am an insolent snot after posting that rant about Panda Anti-Virus. That was in the day where I was precocious and boisterous. On behalf of myself, I must say that I Am truly embarrassed and apologize. Today, I now use Trend Micro Anti-Virus, it does not have incessant pop-ups and has a fairly accurate scanning program. It is a tremendous step up from Panda. To be perfectly I recommend Trend_micro ANti-Virus to small business owners for basic at-home use.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 at 2.4GHz, PSU: Raidmax RX-630a 630 watt PSU, RAM: 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1066 RAM model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2P, GPU: MSI GeForce GTX550 Ti Cyclone II OC edition HDD: Seagate 320 GB SATA, Case: Antec SLK2600AMB OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64

WangoTango

WangoTango
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 16-November 08
Avast - It's reliable with frequent updates. Plus it's free and was ten times faster than ClamAv which took over an hour to scan my hard drive. It took less than 10 minutes with Avast.

leadboots5

leadboots5

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 13-May 07
loving the new nav 2009. i think the post should be remade anew like yearly or biyearly

x-Shadow-x

x-Shadow-x

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Joined 12-February 08
NOD32 all the way (ESET). Detects everything it comes accross (even stopes you from entering viral websites).
www.aftershockforums.com

neowillendit

neowillendit

Beta Tester

• Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 06-August 08
One vote for Kaspersky Anti-Virus v.7.0.1.325 right here!! It's about as secure as you can get without losing funtionality. It offers prompts for any critical changes and allows you COMPLETE control.

shahed26

shahed26

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07
NOD32

TechnoDude

TechnoDude
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 30-May 08
I'd vote for Norton Internet Security 2009. I expected a resource hogger because that's what I encountered while I was using Norton Internet Security '06 but this was a really good one. I bought a 1-year, 3-license pack and I've not turned back to any other. Before this I was using Kaspersky Internet Security 2008 which was good but it was a 1-year license also, so I decided to try NIS '09.

kecowakmanja

kecowakmanja
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 19-December 08
AntiVir for me... it's free... and light resources...

NOD32 also suits me... i have my home pc installed with NOD32...

kickass94

kickass94
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 14-December 08
How come nobody's talking about Bitdefender? I'm kinda confused. Because Wikipedia says its one of the best (but you can't really rely on wikipedia since there are alot of vandals out there) and apparently toptenreviews.com says its the best.
link: http://anti-virus-so...tenreviews.com/

Literally, nobody talks about bitdefender! Like here in my country nobody uses BitDefender(I mean idk anyone who use Bitdefender)!

So what really is the best antivirus?
Would someone be kind enough to post a maybe a comparative report? hehe:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users