Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

Poll: What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend? (1064 member(s) have cast votes)

What Anti-Virus do you Use/Recommend?

1. Voted AntiVir (53 votes [5.49%])

Percentage of vote: 5.49%

2. Voted Avast (94 votes [9.73%])

Percentage of vote: 9.73%

3. AVG (97 votes [10.04%])

Percentage of vote: 10.04%

4. Voted BitDefender (26 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

5. ClamAV (14 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

6. eTrust (12 votes [1.24%])

Percentage of vote: 1.24%

7. F-Prot (11 votes [1.14%])

Percentage of vote: 1.14%

8. Voted Kaspersky (154 votes [15.94%])

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

9. Voted McAfee (30 votes [3.11%])

Percentage of vote: 3.11%

10. Voted NOD32 (272 votes [28.16%])

Percentage of vote: 28.16%

11. Norton (28 votes [2.90%])

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

12. Voted Symantec (60 votes [6.21%])

Percentage of vote: 6.21%

13. Voted Trend Micro (20 votes [2.07%])

Percentage of vote: 2.07%

14. Voted Other - ? (51 votes [5.28%])

Percentage of vote: 5.28%

15. None! (44 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,902 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

You mised out malewarebytes which is much better then any of them above

I think this is because MalwareBytes is just a really robust anti-spyware program. It is good at cleaning out some rootkits but for some reason I just don't see it as an every day anti-virus program.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
Avira AntiVir Personal. I went through a lot of independent reviews on google, and it seems avast! is its worthy competition in the field of free anti-virus programs. I know for sure AVG Free is not, although it has a bigger download rate on CNET, for example.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this; I'm taking a break from paying for an anti-virus program, but it doesn't mean my search is over.
BTW, a licence for Kaspersky or BitDefender out here costs less than 10 EUR, but my PC never got on well with any of them.

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04

Avira AntiVir Personal. I went through a lot of independent reviews on google, and it seems avast! is its worthy competition in the field of free anti-virus programs. I know for sure AVG Free is not, although it has a bigger download rate on CNET, for example.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this; I'm taking a break from paying for an anti-virus program, but it doesn't mean my search is over.
BTW, a licence for Kaspersky or BitDefender out here costs less than 10 EUR, but my PC never got on well with any of them.

Avira is a good choice - it's one of the top AVs out there, regardless of being free. Take a look at the reports on av-comparatives.com for detailed info.

I personally install Avira on every malware-infected PC I fix (must have installed in ~50 PCs so far) and have got good results overall.
One Script to rule them all, One Script to find them, One Script to bring them all and in the web bind them

In the Land of The Net where the Hackers lie.

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,907 posts
  • Joined 29-November 05
I don't want to start a flame war, but what's wrong with Microsoft's Security Essentials?

Please read the rules, folks!

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
Nothing wrong with it, I just don't want to enable Automatic Updates, a prerequisite for its functioning.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,902 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Nothing wrong with it, I just don't want to enable Automatic Updates, a prerequisite for its functioning.

After install, it wants you to enable auto updates, yes this is true. But if you change your setting to "download and ask" instead of "install automatically" MSE won't complain. That is how I use it.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
That's the thing exactly. I choose not to download or install some Office Updates from Microsoft Update, as well as some other things like .NET Framework 1.1, Windows Search 4.0 etc.

Here's the question: Will MSE work if I choose "Notify me, but don't automatically download or install" ? Getting to my point here:
- why download something which I will never install? My PC's pretty old, so I cherish every free space I have (40GB HDD with 11GB on C:\ and the rest on a D:\ partition).

Other than that, I have a very high opinion of MSE, I believe the positive reviews from you guys and plenty of other people on the net and I used its first release for a short time.

Cheers

Xntryk1

Xntryk1
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 16-November 10
I have just begun using something called "Deep Freeze" by "Faronics". You will never need anti-virus again, nor will you need more than 1 system backup to hold on to. It makes your computer totally indestructible by any means thru any software virus, malware, spyware, or by any tampering whatsoever by anyone or any website. It works great, and this is NOT a SPAM. Just google it. Acronis Backup uses the technology in its new backup software, and you may all be familiar with Sandboxie"... Well, google it and check out the standard version for single computers. The enterprise version could protect the world of computers, and if Billy Gates had of thought of it, there would be no such thing as malware and viruses today. Just check it out. My PC is indestructable, and yours can be too!.
Faronics - Deep Freeze

Edited by Xntryk1, 17 November 2010 - 12:59 AM.

Island Of Genius in a Sea Of Stupidity

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04

I have just begun using something called "Deep Freeze" by "Faronics". You will never need anti-virus again, nor will you need more than 1 system backup to hold on to. It makes your computer totally indestructible by any means thru any software virus, malware, spyware, or by any tampering whatsoever by anyone or any website. It works great, and this is NOT a SPAM. Just google it. Acronis Backup uses the technology in its new backup software, and you may all be familiar with Sandboxie"... Well, google it and check out the standard version for single computers. The enterprise version could protect the world of computers, and if Billy Gates had of thought of it, there would be no such thing as malware and viruses today. Just check it out. My PC is indestructable, and yours can be too!.
Faronics - Deep Freeze

Deep Freeze isn't indestructible. There are a few known hacks for it that still work, and I know for a fact that the author of one of the hacks still works on it and releases new versions regularly. But even if your copy of Deep Freeze remains unhacked, the problem remains that it won't stop a virus from running on your PC and spreading to other media, like USB drives or the network. Of course, when you reboot everything is back to its defaults on *your* PC, but in that session the virus could create havoc - harvest email address and mail itself to your contacts, or in a worst case scenario - log whatever you're doing and silently report it back to its creator (thus capturing your credit card numbers, bank account details, passwords etc). Then there are browser based attacks like XSS, that don't even bother infecting your PC - they would just run in your browser and you would never realize it. The browser itself might have vulnerabilities that might allow thirdparties to access your files. And don't forget Flash - probably one of the most vulnerable piece of software in your PC.

Thus your PC can never be indestructible - and let's not forget two main reasons - 1) You're running Windows. 2) You're human, afterall. :)

Edited by [deXter], 20 November 2010 - 05:58 AM.

One Script to rule them all, One Script to find them, One Script to bring them all and in the web bind them

liberman

liberman
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 07-October 07
Eset Smart Security complete solution !
Posted Image

blackskin

blackskin
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 25-October 10
I use old version NOD32

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09

(Why I always think what I am using is always better than the others?)

Ain't that the truth with all of us? (In order not to be completely off topic, I switched to Avast! Free 6. The only thing that bothers me is that it gets stuck for about a minute when scanning large folders, e.g. >1GB, even when the option to scan all files is not chosen).

deen7777

deen7777
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 27-August 11
Comodo Internet Security :thumbupDownload Free>>>
Complete protection against viruses and Internet attacks for Windows computers :yes:
Features :hello:
Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Rootkit & Bot protection
Defends your PC from Internet attacks
Detects and eliminates viruses
Prevents malware from being installed
Auto Sandbox Technology™
Easy to install, configure and use
Free to both business and home users

Internet Security Includes: :w00t:
Antivirus: Tracks down and destroy any existing malware hiding in a PC.
Anti-Spyware: Detects spyware threats and destroys each infection.
Anti-Rootkit: Scans, detects & removes rootkits on your computer.
Bot Protection: Prevents malicious software turning your PC into a zombie.
Defense+: Protects critical system files and blocks malware before it installs.
Auto Sandbox Technology™: Runs unknown files in an isolated environment where they can cause no damage.
Memory Firewall: Cutting-edge protection against sophisticated buffer overflow attacks.
Anti-Malware Kills malicious processes before they can do harm.

Edited by deen7777, 11 September 2011 - 06:17 AM.

Woomera

Woomera

MSFN Fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Joined 13-June 04

Faronics - Deep Freeze

ive been looking into that few days back after i saw many people at Wilderssecurity recommending it, but there's no free version, is there? well at least i didnt see anything about free personal version on their website.

NATO

NATO

Junior

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 10-May 12
AVAST Free Edition.

Finds corrupt files and viruses with a boot time scan.

Microsoft Security Essentials is good too.

I used to use AVG Free but did not like the latest version which could wreck the registry with its additional tools.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

for me not. Ms removed all important options and over simplified it so much, that the program is useless. MSE is so terrible slow and slowdown Windows too much.
Posted Image

[deXter]

[deXter]

The Lord of the Scripts

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Joined 08-May 04

for me not. Ms removed all important options and over simplified it so much, that the program is useless. MSE is so terrible slow and slowdown Windows too much.

So, what *do* you recommend?

DataCracker7899

DataCracker7899

• 15 posts
  • Joined 02-January 13
What i have used: Website:
AVG: Great , i suggest and keeps viruses away and keeps performance. free trial http://www.avg.com/eu-en/homepage
Kaspersky: Worst ever protection: not really good, slows performance forever. paid http://www.kaspersky...in=kasperky.com
Norton 360: Very Good very good protection and keeps performance. shows site security detaileadly free trial http://www.norton.com

additional good tools:

Malwarebytes ANTI-MALWARE: very good malware and adware etc protection free version http://www.malwarebytes.org/
CCleaner cleans registry errors etc... free forever http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

spyware doctor is okay to but i have only those that are above

//AndreG7899 a.k.a DataCracker7899 administrator of G7 NanoHax

Edited by Tripredacus, 18 February 2013 - 08:52 AM.

I am a professional programmer and plz email me and i will help you. my email is: andregoodarzi@hotmail.com i'm master in many programming languages and i can make websites too.

//AndreG7899
//DataCracker7899

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users