MSFN's Official Free Software List

Gouki

F/OSS = Free / Open Source Software

IrfanView is Free as in you don't pay anything, nor are you encouraged to donate. Nothing complicated here...

might want to check the defanition of F/OSS

@DigeratiPrime - the differance between IrfanView and XnView is that the latter is primarily geared toward graphics only, where Irfan does audio and video as well.

ty atomizer and others. i will update the list a little later today. :)

F/OSS = Free / Open Source Software

IrfanView is Free as in you don't pay anything, nor are you encouraged to donate. Nothing complicated here...

might want to check the defanition of F/OSS

@DigeratiPrime - the differance between IrfanView and XnView is that the latter is primarily geared toward graphics only, where Irfan does audio and video as well.

To hell with the technicalities and politics of "free" and "open-source". You don't have to bloody pay for it, I've said this a dozens times now... c'mon.

Yes, it does audio and video, but you can select only image formats to be associated with the program and then disable the audio and video plugins aftwards. Man, I hate it when someone brings up a bunch of gobbly goop just because they want the last word of a discussion. I suppose it's the whole pride or male ego thing. Anyway, I'm like that too, but when it's as simple as being free, why bother creating more frustrations?

Tor: An anonymous Internet communication system

http://tor.eff.org/

TrueCrypt: Free open-source disk encryption software

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Also, I would like to second a couple of sentiments. First would be the inclusion of KeyPass Password Safe. Second would be that I don't think most people care whether or not something is open source or not, but rather if they're permitted to use it without paying for it.

The only reason this list has OSS it's because it tends to be more well written than regular (non-OS) software.

As for the suggestions, they have been added to the list. Thanks

I would agree with that. I certainly have more "trust" in open source software since it is open to the scrutiny of everybody. I've never been a fan of secrets.

That's just prejudice towards anything non-Open Source. nLite isn't open-source, does Nuhi keep secrets? :P ... besides forgetting to mention some things in the changelog sometimes... :whistle:

Call it prejudice, call it whatever you like. But the fact remains that I, and many others as well, have more trust in open source software. I'm not calling authors of closed source software untrustworthy, but I'd be willing to bet most software developers are not nearly as accessible as nuhi either.

I have read the line again and I still think that you called the listed applications fake (not Free or OSS).

P.S: I don't need colors and sentences in bold to understand something better.

Edit:

Just so you know, you have been warned.

I prefered to use this FreeOTFE (Free On The Fly Encryption) over TrueCrypt. Very small footprint and doesnt use up much of ram ;) and capable with SecureTrayUtil A handy utility that sits in the tasktray, allowing hotkey shredding files, file hashes to be generated, and complementing several OTFE (On-The-Fly Encryption) systems by providing rapid access to their most used day-to-day functions, making them considerably easier to use. Also incorporates self-destruct facilities for sensitive material, triggerable by hotkey, easily-built serial connector or secure Internet connection. :thumbup

Another Suggestion for Web Authoring - NVU

Edited by Diabolical82

• 4 weeks later...