include repair option in nlite

isidro

I usually change users motherboards (which requieres XP reinstall because of IDE drivers),

so I use Repair option very often. After seeking in the forum and 4 tries finally could do

an XP with all patches with the repair option (manually eliminating WINNT.SIF from IE386)

I think wou should CLEARLY warn users in your site about the lost functionality, and the

workarounds ( F10 for Repair Console). It would be very nice to have some kind of

automated answers ( serial, etc) without losing both initial Repair menus.

In either case, you shoul modify your program so as to include "Manual installation"

instead of making users to loose hours seeking in forums to recover that feature

(whinh in my opinion it's ESSENTIAL ). Another interesting thing I read is that you

can include WINNT.SIF in a diskette to run unattended inst, or remove diskette to

leave it in manual inst). Thanks

PS: Lost a whole night with this issue, and I'm an advanced user...

<snipped>

Another interesting thing I read is that you

can include WINNT.SIF in a diskette to run unattended inst, or remove diskette to

leave it in manual inst). Thanks

PS: Lost a whole night with this issue, and I'm an advanced user...

I'm not being nasty, but i would say your not a novice.... if you were advanced you would already know the limitations ;)

I'm not being nasty, but i would say your not a novice.... if you were advanced you would already know the limitations ;)

You ARE being nasty, if I say I'm an advanced user, it's true, to make long things short I had programmed in assembler on Z80, 80386 (including coprocesor), TMS9900 and some more as well as Delphi, etc. Ii is NOT obvious that you will loose Repair features, I assumed I was making a better XP installation CD which would cover all my needs. I found the workarounds for that after carefully reading the forums, when a short notice in FAQ would have save me, and the other guys who posted more or less the same questions here a lot of trouble.

So, what I'm asking here is to make that an option or at least to warn about this and a quick note in FAQ. It's not such a big deal.

disable all unattended setting might be take back repair option :D

PS: if you want to make such a cd that contain repair option, do not ever touch the unattended setting (even checklist it in task dialog :D)

Are you telling me that F10 doesn't work with nlite or I just need to warn?

(btw this is unattended thing, not my 'fault' or something but i do agree that warning is a good idea)

• 2 weeks later...

I might be the next guy who did not realize this... :blushing:

Kept the "Manual install" option, but used unattended settings.

After I removed WINNT.SIF, I do have the "repair console" option, but can still not choose a "repair install" (which is what I actually want).

Do I really need to start from scratch? (reusing my settings files, and if so do I need to edit them first to remove all unattended entries?)

• 6 months later...