PowerISO is the same as WinISO ?

prathapml

It seems most ISO manipulators look approximately the same... they do after all perform almost the same functionality.
Maybe it all looks the same to you perhaps?

To me, I know it when one app is developed independantly of another.

The function of UltraISO (and a few other ISO manipulators) might be the same, but they're clearly & visibly based off original code.

This post was to express surprise that the same old WinISO code has since, surfaced & been renamed to PowerISO? (remember, winiso wasn't updated since 4 years - something fishy in this, the licensed buyers of winiso left in the lurch so the utility maker can profit more by launching poweriso?)

Maybe it all looks the same to you perhaps?

To me, I know it when one app is developed independantly of another.

I'm sure you knew that WinISO was coded in Borland C++ (1999), and PowerISO in MSVC++ then, Yes?

It may well be made by the same guy, but if he's ported it from BC++ to MSVC++ I'd say he's not being unfair renaming/selling it again, I certainly would, its practically a re-write (Different GUI Engine, Libraries, etc).

EDIT: In my opinion they don't even look like they're done by the same person...

untitled5jl.th.png

Edited by James123

EDIT: In my opinion they don't even look like they're done by the same person...
My contention was, whether PowerISO is the promised WinISO upgrade, that never materialized! :)

And then got sold off as a new app, to increase profits without having to support upgrades for old customers!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious how UltraISO is better than PowerISO? I've tried both and can't seem to tell what feature makes one better than the other.

I don't use UltraISO anymore since PowerISO has built in mounting capability and it does pretty much everything that UltraISO does.

I always use MagicISO, It supports createing /editing more cd/dvd image format than Poweriso. and you can burn files and folders to cd/dvd on the fly. Its freeware - MagicDisc can also allow you to mount cd/dvd image.

Edited by bartle

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've been using PowerISO for month now and it's not that great. Here's why.

I slipstreamed acrobat 7.0.5 to my acrobat admin install. then i slipstreamed 7.0.7. Then I created an ISO using PowerISO. I told it not to compress it but it still did anyways. Did it twice and both twice it compressed it to 307 mb from 500+ mb.

Anyway, I tried to install from it and it said it couldn't read such and such file. I had to quit the installation. I tried it twice and same problem. Then I tried to copy the files from the mounted ISO to hard drive and it said there were some errors.

So then I tried Ultra ISO and it worked just fine. It installed perfectly and also I copied files from ISO to hard drive.

So, the verdict: Power ISO can mount ISO and it can burn ISO's but it has some problems creating ISO's. I wouldn't trust it from this experience.