what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

Grig182

what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

• User
    • Administrator
    • I don't use Win XP

I have my account set to Admin rights but MS has many articles on why this is bad for security. Vista will have improved support for running as an admin but keeping your PC more secure via low privelages mode.

Of course if you are admin I highly insist you follow my guide to keep your pc secure. I wouldn't dare use XP as admin without doing it.

I have always been an administrator in the past but on my upcoming installs will drop my regular-use accounts to Power User through the Net command and use administrator privileges only when necessary.

For about 18 months at work, I was in the Power User group, but the last 4 months have seen my position upgraded back to administrator status as a Workstation Admin. I found that the PU account has enough rights to do what I want but restrictive enough to ward off much of the garbage that wants to come through. I had rarely needed to have admin access during that time and feel comfortable in setting my home system's accounts to the PU group. Having some Linux experience now, it appears as though Vista is following suit with the reduced default accounts for better security.

That's my 2 cents.

XPSlacker :ph34r:

• 5 months later...

I use the administrator account. Not being able to view the calendar without admin rights? Comon... you could have put the check when the user tries to change the time/date.

But other than that, admin is the way to go for me. :)

I am confused about whether this poll is meant to find out about community security practices or if it is just for people to brag that they have admin rights somewhere...

Or am I thinking too much? :wacko:

I use SYSTEM :D

For those that don't know, SYSTEM has even more power than Administrator.

You have to edit the SAM to make this work (found the instructions on some site I forgot...)

I know in the *nix world, they advise against using the 'root' account, but I don't really see it as a problem if the user is careful. Limited user accounts are for those who can't be careful.

Edited by LLXX