what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

Grig182

what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

• User
    • Administrator
    • I don't use Win XP

I voted admin. but I am somewhere inbetween on my system. I use DropMyRights for several high-risk programs that I do not personally use just incase something gets into my system so the damage done is limited. I tried a user and power user account but I got so sick of the problems that created. Zxian got it right, some braindead programmer thought that gem up I'll bet.

I use the Hypergalactic MegaPriv account (it's a hidden account - not many people know about it) which encompasses all of the Administrator and SYSTEM privs and also adds a few handy extra commands that even these accounts cannot provide (listed below)

<Make> commands

Make Soup

Make Tea

Make Bed

Make bad monster explode

Make whoopee

<stop> commands

Stop Go

Stop Start

(listed in Start menu - Start>Stop>Start) this command stops start from starting stop and allows start to stop start stopping start - excellent for those long night in yourself when you've nothing better to do!

Hope none of the hackers out there find out about this megapriv account or the fact that most people use Administrator or even that some use system account :whistle:

:lol::lol:

Hahaha, I had to read that twice just to make sure I read what I read.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use 'administrator' and yet during the first few months after XP installation found I was not allowed to do many things – the System File Protection, not fully accessible NTFS partitions, error mesages telling me to contact "the system administrator" here and there etc. I believe a competent user should never be locked out of its own system, if he chooses so. If something goes terribly wrong, I have a few backups.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just don't understand you people who run as admin just to boost your ego. It's dumb. If you have a good reason, fine, but just to make yourself feel good? I voted user, because that's what I'm logged into right now. But it's my computer, and I have an Administrator account, I just only use it when I need it. I tend to use the Runas... a lot, and also in command prompt, using

runas /user:Administrator "someprogram.exe".

I don't totally trust myself, because I like to mess around with things. Also, I don't want to get viruses and such, which are easier to install if you're an Admin. I have used System once or twice, but tend to avoid it like the plague, since I know that whatever I do there is permanent and very dangerous. I tell everyone not to run as an Admin on a regular basis, it's just not safe. But my limited account is really in between, thanks to my group policies. So I guess another answer should have been "somewhere in between". :) But anyone else who wants to use my computer, they get stuck using the account i called Public. It's very very locked down. Hah, can't change the password, can't use run or cmd.exe or regedit or control panel, can't change the display settings, very very locked up and drives some people crazy :crazy: . Hee hee. They get lots of ego-deflating "You aren't privileged" dialogs, and "This action prohibited by your system administrator. Go whine at them now please." dialogs, too.

post-128497-1175402530_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...