what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

Grig182

what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

• User
    • Administrator
    • I don't use Win XP

i use administrator account with security according to NSA security standards my Vista is administrator with sslf enable for high security. :thumbup

Administrator account versus NSA security advisories don't match; the NSA advises users not to work under an administrator account. B)

• 2 weeks later...
i voted for admin bcoz admin is best

Ehm, no it is not :blink: See my questions posted above; why would you want to surf the internet using administrative rights? Users who use an administrative account for normal day use are foolish in my humble opinion :realmad:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coming from Windows 98 world I always use administrator. I recently installed a few computers with System but so far discovered no benefits of it.

a have admin acount (with EWF) or system acount (With Minlogon)

and i hate security

if everywone=normal than

secutity =
nothing

xp =
Megs
'perhaps?

end if

if it was possible i would switch to ReactOs

Edited by emmanuel d

I'm a network admin at work. No time to lose with user privileges on my workstation. I just take care of using good security practices.

I used to put my home computer with user privileges, but it was annoying to do Run As everytime I had to do something to the system, which was happening more often than I thought.

• 2 months later...

I have XP on my desktop at home, I run under my account unless I'm in a hurry then I login as administrator since I have so much booting up in my account at logon.

Always admin. If it's my computer, i want to have full control on everything running on it. I also use the services configuration applet a lot.

Even my mom has admin privileges on her computer, and she never screwed anything up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't matter on which workstation you're on, u should always use least privileged account. Most applications today are designed to run post installation with non admin rights. No matter how careful you may be, the possibility of viral/malware infection is possible when running with the admin account.

Rule of thumb, use runas cmd or switch to admin to install programs, afterwards log on as a reg user. I've been doing this for 4 years now without any anti-virus or anit-spy installed on my home PC. Never had an infection to date (I use online anti-virus scanners).

You can also run a batch file for any program that requires admin rights:

runas /profile /user:portugal\christian "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\outlook"

You can also run a batch file for any program that requires admin rights:

runas /profile /user:portugal\christian "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\outlook"

I take it this command does have the Administrator password? Portugal?

If not, then it totally negates there being a "limited" account.

The Windows I use is so reduced in size that I cannot make up new users even if I wanted to, but then I don't want to, I want the install as small as possible with no lack of functionality for me personally.

Used Admin for 8 years and never been hit. Even as a n00b downloading things left right and center on REAL BAD networks like Kazaa, eMule, Morpheus, LimeWire, urgh... theres more viruses on those than anything else. Even then though, I never got taken out by a virus. I might have HAD viruses, but never anything serious.

IMO it all boils down to this - is there anything on your computer that personally identifies you? Do you do "online banking" etc? If so then never use the Admin account, I only know its safe to use because of how careful I am to never do all that stuff online, eBay, banking... I do not do any of it so, Admin always for me.

Edited by LeveL