Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User? (462 member(s) have cast votes)

what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

1. User (101 votes [22.05%])

Percentage of vote: 22.05%

2. Administrator (347 votes [75.76%])

Percentage of vote: 75.76%

3. I don't use Win XP (10 votes [2.18%])

Percentage of vote: 2.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Thunderbolt 2864

Thunderbolt 2864

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05

I always logon with an ordinary User account. If I need to do "admin things", there's always Run As or as a last resort, logoff, logon as Admin, do whatever needs to be done, logoff, logon as an ordinary User (a bind, I know). :w00t:

Thats too much hassle. Why use a standard user account for anyway?
PC 1: Intel Xeon E5 2687w | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | ASRock X79 Fata1ty Champion | Aerocool Strike-X ST Black | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 4TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 8 x64 Pro

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

redxii

redxii

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Joined 18-August 05

Thats too much hassle. Why use a standard user account for anyway?

The reason I do is because it is obvious that malware gets no advantage. Signatures only go so far, so far that as I said earlier you need 2 of every type of "security app" running in the background to be safe. That is fine if all you do is word processing.

The only "security" app I have is AVG. I had SpywareBlaster, but I uninstalled it and even reversed any changes it made. I had Ad-Aware. I rarely used it, and when I did, I didn't need it only telling me that cookies and recently opened files were endangering my privacy. I don't have a slow system but I sure don't want tons of other crap running slowing it down.

I'll let other people be but, anyone not seeing the obvious advantage shouldn't complain that Windows has no security.

Edited by redxii, 04 September 2006 - 08:16 PM.

Madhav

Madhav

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 01-August 06
voted for admin

Kamus

Kamus

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 19-June 06
Administrator all the time, maybe it makes me feel more important!
just kidding, but I remember in the school when I try to install a program the classic "You don't have rights" and make feel like hulk.

:)
life easy? may be no, but the computers can be

Boyband

Boyband

• 11 posts
  • Joined 07-September 06
I voted User, although I have full administrative rights on the PC, but I leave the Administrator account in it's default state totally untouched.

It's never personally happened to me, but that way if ever my profile gets ruined or somehow over-run with malware etc I can remove the account and the profile and start-a-fresh.

I set other family member's PC's with them as PU's and I use the Administrator account for looking after the background stuff.

I know having 2 Administrator's is supposedly not great for security purposes, but gives me the leverage to remove my profile in the event of something going tits up.

GeneralMandible

GeneralMandible

Major

• PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Joined 08-July 04
I use an account with admin priveleges on all the machines I utilize. User education is the best security tool out there. For regular, everyday office users, I would recommend just an account with user priveleges.

Edited by GeneralMandible, 12 September 2006 - 03:28 PM.

"I am the colony!"
My Website

EchoNoise

EchoNoise

Defender of the Penguin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Joined 10-April 05
XP? Whats that?

:sneaky:
Posted Image

Guest_free4ever_*

Guest_free4ever_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

I am confused about whether this poll is meant to find out about community security practices or if it is just for people to brag that they have admin rights somewhere...

Or am I thinking too much? :wacko:

i m hunderd % agree with u s a must to keep it secret :thumbup

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Joined 24-June 04
Administrator account. I am very careful and haven't had any problems in a couple of years, so...

luke.mccormick

luke.mccormick

• PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Joined 16-February 06
Active Directory server not connected to the internet, my clients log in as administrators.

magicfly

magicfly

<< I live in the 80's >>

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 14-June 03
Administrator, but my parents are simple users with not many priveleges...that's better :P
PC Configuration: Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz - Gigabyte 8IPE 1000 PRO2 - 2 GB RAM Kingston - ATI Radeon X1600 - HD1: DiamondMax10 300GB SATA - HD2: DiamondMax Plus9 120GB SATA - HD3: DiamondMax Plus D740X 40GB EiDE - HD4: WD MyBook 500GB Essential Edition - DVDR: LG GDR8164B - DVDRW: Pioneer DVR-109
Software Configuration: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

severach

severach

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Joined 06-August 05
>Of course if you are admin I highly insist you follow my guide
That's a good way to secure IE that I've not seen before. My current techniques typically keep customers safe for more than a year and this should help to extend the time. Someone needs to write an installer for this. Installing it will attach it to all IE except for the icon that runs Windows Update.

>I use SYSTEM :D
I have run into things where it seemed that Administrator wasn't good enough. I'd like to know how to do that. If you can find "CREATOR OF ALL UNIVERSES" login mode, that would be even better.

For virus scans I need to be able to read and write any files regardless of permissions. Can SYSTEM do that? Can anything do that?

an_talpur

an_talpur

• 18 posts
  • Joined 27-July 06
Admin, of course !
I always tell the truth,even when i lie

hawkman

hawkman
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 27-September 06
Regular user? You gotta be kidding. You have to fight applications every step of the way. They need to write to the windows folder, to system 32, they need to write to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE, even changing the file associations needs administrative privileges. I'm experienced enough to know how to protect myself.

LLXX

LLXX

MSFN Junkie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts
  • Joined 04-December 05

I have run into things where it seemed that Administrator wasn't good enough. I'd like to know how to do that. If you can find "CREATOR OF ALL UNIVERSES" login mode, that would be even better.

For virus scans I need to be able to read and write any files regardless of permissions. Can SYSTEM do that? Can anything do that?

I don't know that much about the power of the SYSTEM account, other than the fact that it's more powerful than Admin.

Here's how to get a 'root shell' :

Open a command prompt. Invoke the 'time' command to see the current time (just press Enter again to not enter a new time). Now invoke
at xx:xx /i 'cmd.exe'
Where xx:xx is some time in the near future (one or two minutes ahead).

Wait a few minutes and the new command prompt should appear, this one is running under SYSTEM. You can start the task manager (taskmgr) from there, close Explorer.exe and run it from this new task manager (which is also running under SYSTEM) to get full use of the SYSTEM account.

As for logging in by default as SYSTEM, that requires some very complicated registry editing that I won't go into detail here (nor do I remember everything about it!)

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,669 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Just for the record, there are a number of apps that allow starting apps and processes with the System account, here are a couple:
http://grubletrang.c...app=PowerPrompt

http://p-nand-q.com/...supershell.html
now
http://p-nand-q.com/...grootshell.html

jaclaz

rado354

rado354

nLited user

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Joined 29-May 05
I use Administrator account.
I know it's not a good thing, but can't live otherwise :no:

Software products testing all day ;)

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
at home when im using nt4\2k\xp i use administrator
i just cant be bothered using the user acount
even when i have 9x logging on to my domain i use my "administrator"
(administrator has no policies applied to it the other users do)
at school i use a domain administrator most the time as well.

haggisnneeps

haggisnneeps

• 34 posts
  • Joined 17-November 06
I use the Hypergalactic MegaPriv account (it's a hidden account - not many people know about it) which encompasses all of the Administrator and SYSTEM privs and also adds a few handy extra commands that even these accounts cannot provide (listed below)

<Make> commands
Make Soup
Make Tea
Make Bed
Make bad monster explode
Make whoopee

<stop> commands
Stop Go
Stop Start
(listed in Start menu - Start>Stop>Start) this command stops start from starting stop and allows start to stop start stopping start - excellent for those long night in yourself when you've nothing better to do!

Hope none of the hackers out there find out about this megapriv account or the fact that most people use Administrator or even that some use system account :whistle:

chocolate

chocolate

• 10 posts
  • Joined 21-February 04
admin

simple ... ^^

thehofenator

thehofenator
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 26-November 06
user, but i dont have a limeted account :)

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 30-September 05
This to me is like asking "do you crawl on all fours, or walk" :lol:

Jaqie Fox

Jaqie Fox

Genuine Girl Techie

• PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 30-November 06
I voted admin. but I am somewhere inbetween on my system. I use DropMyRights for several high-risk programs that I do not personally use just incase something gets into my system so the damage done is limited. I tried a user and power user account but I got so sick of the problems that created. Zxian got it right, some braindead programmer thought that gem up I'll bet.

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
  • Joined 02-September 02

I use the Hypergalactic MegaPriv account (it's a hidden account - not many people know about it) which encompasses all of the Administrator and SYSTEM privs and also adds a few handy extra commands that even these accounts cannot provide (listed below)

<Make> commands
Make Soup
Make Tea
Make Bed
Make bad monster explode
Make whoopee

<stop> commands
Stop Go
Stop Start
(listed in Start menu - Start>Stop>Start) this command stops start from starting stop and allows start to stop start stopping start - excellent for those long night in yourself when you've nothing better to do!

Hope none of the hackers out there find out about this megapriv account or the fact that most people use Administrator or even that some use system account :whistle:

:lol: :lol:

Hahaha, I had to read that twice just to make sure I read what I read.

alexyyf

alexyyf
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 04-December 06
Administrator! and i changed the name.

If i had to share my laptop with my bro, i'd create a user account for him. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users