Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User? (462 member(s) have cast votes)

what account do you use in Win XP. Administrator or User?

1. User (101 votes [22.05%])

Percentage of vote: 22.05%

2. Administrator (347 votes [75.76%])

Percentage of vote: 75.76%

3. I don't use Win XP (10 votes [2.18%])

Percentage of vote: 2.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

stephens316

stephens316

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 30-October 03
i use administrator account with security according to NSA security standards my Vista is administrator with sslf enable for high security. :thumbup
You can enter a maximum of four (4) lines of text in your signature for a text-only signature, or one (1) line of text above or below a signature that contains an image. - MSFN Rules - Tarun

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Arie

Arie

One Man Army

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Joined 27-August 07

i use administrator account with security according to NSA security standards my Vista is administrator with sslf enable for high security. :thumbup

Administrator account versus NSA security advisories don't match; the NSA advises users not to work under an administrator account. B)
Not trying to pretend the enemy that I am.

Sbd Guy

Sbd Guy

• 18 posts
  • Joined 18-December 07
i voted for admin bcoz admin is best

Arie

Arie

One Man Army

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Joined 27-August 07

i voted for admin bcoz admin is best

Ehm, no it is not :blink: See my questions posted above; why would you want to surf the internet using administrative rights? Users who use an administrative account for normal day use are foolish in my humble opinion :realmad:

naelphin

naelphin
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15-February 07
I use User normally. I must say that vista makes it much easier, as I got access denied errors with some crappy software, so Vista makes it much easier for me.

D_block

D_block

The Return of the greatest

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 05-May 07
i create a second account with admin privilages
Activate yuh feelings
Press ah on switch
~ D_block ...

BadDevil

BadDevil
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 15-January 07
i am using Administrator ...but sometime use User.

vdykhiem

vdykhiem
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 29-March 05
Administrator account :easy access :P

j7n

j7n

• PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Joined 18-December 06
Coming from Windows 98 world I always use administrator. I recently installed a few computers with System but so far discovered no benefits of it.

emmanuel d

emmanuel d
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 08-February 05
a have admin acount (with EWF) or system acount (With Minlogon)
and i hate security
if everywone=normal than

secutity = nothing
xp = 100Megs 'perhaps?

end if

if it was possible i would switch to ReactOs

Edited by emmanuel d, 02 March 2008 - 10:20 AM.

m-p{3}

m-p{3}
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05
I'm a network admin at work. No time to lose with user privileges on my workstation. I just take care of using good security practices.

I used to put my home computer with user privileges, but it was annoying to do Run As everytime I had to do something to the system, which was happening more often than I thought.
Posted Image

joe43wv

joe43wv

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Joined 08-May 08
I have XP on my desktop at home, I run under my account unless I'm in a hurry then I login as administrator since I have so much booting up in my account at logon.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3

Digital sinner

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 17-March 08
Always admin. If it's my computer, i want to have full control on everything running on it. I also use the services configuration applet a lot.

Even my mom has admin privileges on her computer, and she never screwed anything up. :)
What's the point of security features if we have to disable them for things to work right?

p35-ds3 / e6550 @ 3.5ghz 500fsb scythe mugen / 8gb pqi ddr2 800 @ 1000 / sapphire hd3870 / 320gb wd / x64 / nokia 920c 19"
toshi portege 4010 / p3 tualatin @ 933mhz / 512mb pc133 sdram / 16mb cyberblade / wifi / irda / sd / 30gb ibm / me / 12.1" tft
6bxds / 2x p3 @ 700mhz / 1gb cl2 sdram / sapphire 9800 pro 256mb / awe64 isa / sil3112a pci + 320gb wd / xp / thomson 24" tv

pontelima

pontelima
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 24-May 08
Doesn't matter on which workstation you're on, u should always use least privileged account. Most applications today are designed to run post installation with non admin rights. No matter how careful you may be, the possibility of viral/malware infection is possible when running with the admin account.

Rule of thumb, use runas cmd or switch to admin to install programs, afterwards log on as a reg user. I've been doing this for 4 years now without any anti-virus or anit-spy installed on my home PC. Never had an infection to date (I use online anti-virus scanners).

You can also run a batch file for any program that requires admin rights:

runas /profile /user:portugal\christian "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\outlook"

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 30-September 05

You can also run a batch file for any program that requires admin rights:

runas /profile /user:portugal\christian "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\outlook"

I take it this command does have the Administrator password? Portugal?

If not, then it totally negates there being a "limited" account.

The Windows I use is so reduced in size that I cannot make up new users even if I wanted to, but then I don't want to, I want the install as small as possible with no lack of functionality for me personally.

Used Admin for 8 years and never been hit. Even as a n00b downloading things left right and center on REAL BAD networks like Kazaa, eMule, Morpheus, LimeWire, urgh... theres more viruses on those than anything else. Even then though, I never got taken out by a virus. I might have HAD viruses, but never anything serious.

IMO it all boils down to this - is there anything on your computer that personally identifies you? Do you do "online banking" etc? If so then never use the Admin account, I only know its safe to use because of how careful I am to never do all that stuff online, eBay, banking... I do not do any of it so, Admin always for me.

Edited by LeveL, 31 May 2008 - 06:34 AM.

JedMeister

JedMeister

• PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06
I use admin account at home on both of my PCs. At work I use a restricted user account on my workstation but I have shortcuts to IE and ProcessExplorer on my desktop and use Runas if I need to do anything requiring Admin priveliges. I have both Local and Domain Admin user accounts. If I need to logon to the Server (via KVM - then I only use the (Local) Admin account.
Don't forget to comment when your problem is solved - others will be searching for solutions too!
PC1 - "thunder" (it's noisy - that bl**dy DFI chipset fan!)
[CPU] AMDX2 4400+ (skt939 Toledo) @ 2.35GHz [Mobo] DFI LanPartyUT nF4 UD [RAM] 2x1GB Team Xtreem Cronus (Infineon) DDR500/PC4000 @ 235MHz
[GPU] Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB [HDD] 2xWD320GB, 2xWD500GB [PSU] Antec Neo HE 500W [OS] Tri boot: Ubuntu 9.10/XP SP3/Win 7-x64
PC2 - "lightning" ('cause in comparison it's very fast!)
[CPU] Intel C2Q Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (skt775 Yorkfield) [Mobo] ASUS P5W?? Pro [RAM] 2x2GB Patriot Viper DDR1066
[GPU] Leadtek 7800GTX 512MB [HDD] Seagate 1.5TB [PSU] Vantec Ion2+ 500W [OS] Dual boot: Ubuntu 10.04/XP SP3

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 10,027 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I found out I actually don't use the Administrator account at home. I use a user account with Administrative priveledges. At work, all my computers (workstations, etc) use the Administrator account logged into a domain, except my old server which uses a domain logon.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

specialbao1

specialbao1

• PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 25-January 08
i use admin.
but my pc had many virus attacks.
can you recommend some good security stuff

Edited by specialbao1, 10 July 2008 - 11:37 PM.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

Stay patched, use some kind of firewall (a good router works), if at all possible don't use IE, and don't run any .exe from anywhere (including email attachments) blindly.

If you do that, you'll go for years without any viruses.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

Arie

Arie

One Man Army

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Joined 27-August 07

i use admin.

... and that's why you should never, never, never do your normal work using an admin account! An admin account is to be used for administrative purposes, not for browsing the internet, not for checking your e-mail, not for listening to music, et cetera.

miniLiLO

miniLiLO
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 21-July 08
I used Admin every time. One time I tried creating an user account, but too large number are of "access denied" messages. :}

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,456 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

That's why you have the runas option.
[ Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk Posted Image ]
If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,322 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05
I hope he was not holding his breath for an advice. ;)

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
I'm sure -X- didn't notice the previous post was over four years ago. LOL :)

EDIT:
Either that or he wanted to remind folks that this poll still exists and he was curious if anyone would still care to vote. If that was his goal it appears to be working.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 12 September 2012 - 10:46 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users