WiFi puzzle

I am using a WiFi network (router is Zyxel Prestige 2000 combined met ADSL) with a Linksys antenna for my desktop and a separate USB antenna (BenQ AWL400) that I use for my own laptop or for other people's systems that need re-installation, de-virussing, etc.

This week, I have re-installed the software on a laptop.

Internet connection via a cable to the router works great but I cannot get the wireless connection to function.

So: I put the 2 laptops side-by-side: basically the same software (XP Pro SP2 with all latest updates, Windows firewall, McAfee 8.0) and the same installation. When I put the antenna in my old one (Dell Latitude CPx) it works, when I put it in the newer one (Dell C400 Latitude) it does not. The system sees the network but tells me that the network is unavailable and thus does not connect. It then happily gives a message that a WiFi network is within range but I cannot connect and so on, ad nauseum.

I really do not understand this: the same physical spot, the wireless antenna software is properly installed, the network is visible, the signal strength is very good, the encryption key has been correctly entered but the connection is refused.

I have checked and re-checked all parameters but they are really identical. The only difference is that the software for the old laptop is English while the new one uses Dutch, but, hey, that should not make any difference or ??

Can anybody point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks

Rob

hi, iknow the problem, but my prob is better then ours :P

I have a desktop with a wi-fi usb dongle because in the room is no cable contection.

the funny thing -> on the PC in the room i installed a server 2003 and windows xp.

on the server the wi-fi in normaly functionary, but on the client the connection will be aktivate. the prob is the conection to the router is ok, but he is searching for an ip from the dhcp from the router and then he told me no rights to get an ip. i don´t no a solution.

.raven

is the router running dhcp on LAN?

yes, DHCP is switched on

also on the machine that isnt connecting, you might want to make sure that the Wireless Zero Configuration service is running and not disabled. I know its kind of a newbie thing to look for but some times the simple solution is overlooked.

yep, set on automatic

and just to make sure, I restarted it manually; no luck

I'd check the wep keys on the client machine and check at the access point/router to see if you have MAC filtering turned on. Refused connections are usually a MAC filter or a bad WEP/WPA key

Edited by mockranger

Have you checked the WEP and key settings on the newer machine?
I'd check the wep keys on the client machine and check at the access point/router to see if you have MAC filtering turned on. Refused connections are usually a MAC filter or a bad WEP/WPA key

I have even switched off the whole encryption off, just to make sure. No difference.

And, there is no MAC filtering, and even it there was, it would not make any difference, because I have only one USB-antenna which I am using for all systems.

Thank you for your thoughts, though.

Please, keep the good ideas coming!

BTW, when fiddling with the router, I saw a channel setting there (7). Can I set this also in Windows? Does this have anything to do with my problem?

Another thing to concider would be checking the settings on the router it-self. I have a 2wire wireless router and it wont allow new wireless connections until they have been aproved of by the network administrator. IE myself. If the router is configured this way it may be your problem. Also is there any software that came with the wireless card? I know its a dumb question but some wireless cards cant connect unless you are using their designated software. Just thought.

Good Luck,

Hatefulsorrow

I found the problem. :thumbup

The installation disc (BenQ) for the USB antenna contains 5 drivers for the same device (heaven knows why; it is not explained anywhere); if you select the 1st one, as will happen if you are not fast enough, the driver will load OK, but not allow connection. All of the others seem to function correctly.

This is about the most stupid thing that I have ever seen .... on the BenQ support site I did not find anything.

Thank you all for your advices and sorry to have bothered you with something this trivial.

Have a great weekend

Rob