IDE image to SATA drive and Vice Versa...

dkreifus

Why trim it down? If you sat through it creating the list you've waited through the longest part and the reboot will do the rest when deployed.

If there are drivers there you don't want don't add the associated INF before you create the list

I actually did some more research. I opened up the txtsetup.oem and got the hardware ids... which I don't think were listed in the list it created. (it was taking way to long. I thought the process crashed. So I'll start it again if this idea doesn't work)

So I added this to my code:

[SysprepMassStorage]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\ich6\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\ich6\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\ich6\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\ich6\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\ich6\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106=c:\sysprep\ich6\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\ich6\iastor.inf
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25B0&CC_0104=c:\sysprep\ich6\iastor.inf

Does that look accurate?

Yes, if all you need are a handful then just do those. Depending upon how many you add it can take as long as an hour for sysprep to install and create the mass storage drivers section.

The image I am creating I need as many as possible since I'm trying to deploy it to any machine that may cross my desk. So far so good as long as it has the ACPI uni/multiprocessor HAL.

wait..i thought the bmsd command got the drivers off the current machine for the current setup. Does it pull all the drivers existing on the machine?

So I could essentially blast a IBM or a Dell with the same image?

-BMSD creates the MassStorageSection with the drivers that come with windows and any additional you add to the section yourself and adds them in so that they are seen at the first boot after syspreping.

The other issue is which HAL is installed:

From the other thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71121&hl=#

It all depends upon the HAL on your build machine and the correct HALs on your target machines. Using sysprep you can change between MPS uniprocessor HAL and MPS multiprocessor HAL, or ACPI uniprocessor HAL and ACPI Multiprocessor HAL.

If your build machine is Uniprocessor (UP) add UpdateUPHAL="APCIAPIC_MP,%windir%\inf\hal.inf" to the [unattended]section of your sysprep.inf file then run sysprep, capture and deploy. change the MP to UP if it is built on a Multiprocessor and you are deploying to UP.

In theory the same thing holds true for MPS HALs but I don't have any to try it on, just chance ACPIAPIC to MPS.

I have successfully deployed an image built on a Dell Gx300 (UP HAL) to IBM thinkpad t43, x41, z60t, r51, Thinkcenter m51, m52, Dell optiplex gx100, gateway e4000, so far without any issues other than forgetting to have added all of the correct hardware drivers.

Maybe I should give that a go.

But how come my sata drivers werent listed in the bsmd list...i had to add them myself.

all of our desktops/laptops have Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC as the chip type..so I'll leave the HAL alone for now.

BMSD only adds the ones that are part of the drivers from microsoft on the install cd. The rest have to be added to the list manually, which is why I use that script. Then Sysprep will add them to the image.

So as long as you have all of the MSD added, and the other hardware dirvers available you should be able to drop one image on any machine with a matching HAL. for my images I create a folder at the root and put all of my drivers in it and then add the recursive path to the registry to them using the setdevicepath app found here so that windows has the drivers available during the pnp discovery. Then delete the folder and reset the registry key on the first reboot. You could also put it in the Sysprep folder so it is automatically removed if you want, then you just need to reset the registry key.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\DevicePath

Edited by IcemanND

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry....

I'm still running the clean unattended install, so I haven't gotten the Hal yet.

Basically, it drops the image onto it, boots up and then gives the Windows Last Known Good Config.. and it freezes there.

I tried Safe Mode..and it listed a whole bunch of drivers, and then froze.

Sounds like one of two things.

The hal in your image not matching what should be on the machine.

or

The A30 had gone to sleep before you dropped the image to it. This has caused weird problems like this when I've ghosted in the past and was not paying attention.

If I have the same install on here as on others...

Then I have manually added in the SATA drivers, could I run the sysprep -bmsd from here...

Would it work on newer machines if the drivers are there?

We're trying to use a single image on all our machines. I believe this has the same HAL as the others

Edited by dkreifus

I used to have this problem and Ghost would hang on the SATA drive... untill.....

I went into the BIOS of my computer and set the drive emu to combi it then work fine.

If your only doing SATA in ghoct then use the NOIDE switch.

• 1 month later...

hi

10x for the help

i have one question,

i have a base laptops image that worked fine.

now my company wants to buy IBM X60s that uses Intel® 82801GR SATA RAID Controller

can i add the lines to the to an exsiting ghost image without running the sysprep again?

[sysprepMassStorage]

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=C:\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\iastor.inf

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=C:\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\iastor.inf

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=C:\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\iastor.inf

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104=C:\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\iastor.inf

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106=C:\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\iastor.inf

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106=C:\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\iastor.inf

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104=C:\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\iastor.inf

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25B0&CC_0104=C:\Drivers\Chipset\Intel\iastor.inf

You can not just add drivers to an image without running sysprep. Sysprep is what integrates the drivers into the Windows install, makes it so that windows understands the hardware it is trying to boot from.

Regarding HAL issues on Sysprepped machines -- something new we're doing with the PE CD here in my office is using a standard ACPI HAL'd Sysprep image, and then dropping the appropriate HAL onto the machine after Ghost finishes but before we reboot.

This gives us the ability to use a single sysprep image on essentially every machine in our environment... So long as we have the proper mass storage drivers to make it boot of course :)