Unreal & Unreal Gold

jago_lfn

I was digging through my old games and decided to play unreal for a while. Loaded up the cd and installed fine. Setup all my options and when i go to play it's like its on crack or something. Everything is superfast like on 30x turbo. I checked my framerates with fraps and i'm getting almost 400fps with the Direct3D renderer. OpenGL reneder just crashes back to the desktop, same with software. I have unreal gold too and it just does the same thing. Anyone else had this happen and know how to fix it?

Edited by jago_lfn

• 2 weeks later...

Are you playing this on a laptop? The original Unreal games based their game ticks off a CPU-intensive calculation done at startup. If your laptop is dynamically adjusting speed, it may "figure" the game ticks WAY too small for your CPU's actual speed.

The original Unreal and Unreal Tournament games play quite fine on my P4/3.6ghz + x800xtpe + 1gb memory at 480mhz in the D3DRenderer (and OpenGL renderer too). Not sure why it would give you grief...

Are you playing this on a laptop? The original Unreal games based their game ticks off a CPU-intensive calculation done at startup. If your laptop is dynamically adjusting speed, it may "figure" the game ticks WAY too small for your CPU's actual speed.

The original Unreal and Unreal Tournament games play quite fine on my P4/3.6ghz + x800xtpe + 1gb memory at 480mhz in the D3DRenderer (and OpenGL renderer too). Not sure why it would give you grief...

I'm not on a laptop BUT thanks to your info i did figure it out, the amd athlon 64 driver for xp throttles the cpu like a laptop and upon removal sure enough it runs like it's supposed to. Thanks for the idea! :thumbup

My colleague had this problem on his laptop..Can it be fix on a laptop?

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

My colleague had this problem on his laptop..Can it be fix on a laptop?

Thx

Sure, disable the CPU's ability to change speeds. Basically all mobile chipsets have a function that allows you to "lock" the CPU speed to either the lowest or highest setting. Just set it that way and all should be well.

• 1 month later...

Umm , You could try turning V-Sync ON .. that way the frames will be limited to your refresh rate of the monitor.

eg 75hz refresh rate on your monitor will give you 75FPS with vsync on.

enable vsync by hitting the tilde key (~) , in the consol window type preferences and hit enter.

You'll find the option to turn on/off vsync and many other settings.

Had this prob wrunning down a corridor were it gets dark at the end , wowsers I was hiting 1000+ FPS a sec.

Found myself running into walls constanly untill I turned vsync on (my monitor refresh is @ 120hz), I get a constant 120 FPS without the speedup and slowdowns.

I hadn't played UT v4.00-4.36 since the the days of my celeron 400 cpu and TNT2 vid card. I use to struggle to get 70-100FPS.

Wow it runs so darn quick on my current AMDx2 and 7800GT vid card. (to be expected though)

Cheers

Edited by smashly

• 3 weeks later...
Umm , You could try turning V-Sync ON .. that way the frames will be limited to your refresh rate of the monitor.

This does not resolve the original poster's issue -- the problem wasn't that the framerate was too high, it was that the entire game was running "30x too fast." Unreal's computation of CPU speed is done by a series of assembly instructions that are meant to guess at the speed of the CPU by how fast they're calculated. If your CPU changes speeds between the guess and the game, your game speed goes wonky.

Interestingly enough, I came back to this thread after running into the exact same problem on my brand new Dell Inspiron E1505... My Core Duo T2300 was throttling down to 1ghz during the "detect" phase, but then would throttle up to the full 1.6ghz when the game started. This resulted in everything going about double-speed making it near-impossible to do anything (except get my butt kicked by the bots)

Just wanted to clarify to make sure you understood this was a CPU speed issue and not a VSYNC / GPU speed issue.