Re-installation XP

Pensionada

G'day to you all out there.

I need advice. I have a friend's laptop which is running XP Pro SP2 (up-to-date with fiexes and stuff) which is refusing to close properly at times. I have not been able to figure out what is causing the problem, so I would like to re-install XP, just to make sure.

However, my installation CD is XP Pro SP1, and the system refuses to install telling me that the disc is older, which is true, of course.

My questions:

1) how do I overcome this?

2) if I force the re-install, will I have to re-install all other programs?

3) Any other things that I have to take into consideration?

Thanks

Rob

first u download sp2 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

then u slipstream it in your xpcd using nlite or other slipstreaming tool.

then u boot from the cd u created and follow the steps on the screen. this in case u want to have a fresh install. or u can choose the repair install and u will just repair the xp instalation.

Edited by boooggy

first u download sp2 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

then u slipstream it in your xpcd using nlite or other slipstreaming tool.

then u boot from the cd u created and follow the steps on the screen. this in case u want to have a fresh install. or u can choose the repair install and u will just repair the xp instalation.

Well thanks for the advice, but it put me in deep, deep s***. :(

I followed up, but the installation misses all kinds of files (this is a Compaq laptop) and crashed. Without those files, only available on official Compaq recovery discs, installation cannot continue.

As is, the system cannot be started at all.

I have ordered the recovery discs thru HP but once I get them what should I do?

I am afraid that when I just boot and install from these, that I will lose the data files and all.

Any good advice?

i would suggest spending abit of time reading on how to make your own custom xp install cd from the msfn unattended guide, really does cover alot of things that come in handy. possibly, with the drivers (which one would believe would be downloadable, but sometimes companies are stupid) you can create a cd to reinstall windows, simply using another folder other then "windows" and weird user account foldernames, point being you will be able to boot and backup any files needed because the driver files would be on your custom xp install cd/dvd. then using the same xp cd, do a complete reformat, and copy over the backed up data after reformatted and installed. most all of this relies on one thing, that you can get the drivers loaded into an xpcd and they actually work.

hope its some help sorry if not

i would suggest spending abit of time reading on how to make your own custom xp install cd from the msfn unattended guide, really does cover alot of things that come in handy. possibly, with the drivers (which one would believe would be downloadable, but sometimes companies are stupid) you can create a cd to reinstall windows, simply using another folder other then "windows" and weird user account foldernames, point being you will be able to boot and backup any files needed because the driver files would be on your custom xp install cd/dvd. then using the same xp cd, do a complete reformat, and copy over the backed up data after reformatted and installed. most all of this relies on one thing, that you can get the drivers loaded into an xpcd and they actually work.

hope its some help sorry if not

Actually I am not even sure which drivers are missing. During the unsuccessful re-installation of Windows it asks for a whole bunch of files that it apparently needs but are not on my XP disc. In other words I do not have a clue which drivers are missing.

Anyway, I have ordered the official recovery dics from HP/Compaq which should allow me to re-install.

Do you have any advice on how to install so that I would not lose data?

I used to get this

the version is newer setup will now exit tough shi7e ::bye::

goto add remove programs then uninstall sp2

reeboot from cd 1st priority setting

walla

sorry if it is a bit l8

as for saving ya files you r gonna need a usb to ide cable

dont get fooled by these new fangled external hdd enclosure connectors they often need drivers installed and it freaks them out when ya add a different hdd

see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-to-USB-2-0-CABLE...1QQcmdZViewItem

or this 1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-LAPTOP-HD-TO-3-5...1QQcmdZViewItem

then ya just plug ya hdd into it and goto docs n settings as if it were a running sys copy all ya files and then goto the icon for the drive add-on in my computer right click on it and select format

format dun install time

good luk m8e

Edited by rsrus

Actually I am not even sure which drivers are missing. During the unsuccessful re-installation of Windows it asks for a whole bunch of files that it apparently needs but are not on my XP disc. In other words I do not have a clue which drivers are missing.

Anyway, I have ordered the official recovery dics from HP/Compaq which should allow me to re-install.

Do you have any advice on how to install so that I would not lose data?

If there is a dvd drive on the laptop that is fairly new, you should beable to make an xp installation disk(Dvd) with all the drivers from the HP/Compaq cd added to it, even if not, you should beable to try and yet again reinstall, and simply switch out the xp cd with the HP/Compaq cd when it starts asking for different files.

Aslong as you dont format the drive and just install windows there shouldnt be too many files that would be lost, if any at all. You can select to install windows to an already formatted harddrive and use an alternate folder name (other then "c:\windows"), doing this should allow you to boot the computer long enough to backup any files you might need. after backing your files up (webspace, external drive, cd's/dvd's, etc), you could/should then do yet another reinstall of windows xp, reformatting this final time.

If there is a dvd drive on the laptop that is fairly new, you should beable to make an xp installation disk(Dvd) with all the drivers from the HP/Compaq cd added to it, even if not, you should beable to try and yet again reinstall, and simply switch out the xp cd with the HP/Compaq cd when it starts asking for different files.

Aslong as you dont format the drive and just install windows there shouldnt be too many files that would be lost, if any at all. You can select to install windows to an already formatted harddrive and use an alternate folder name (other then "c:\windows"), doing this should allow you to boot the computer long enough to backup any files you might need. after backing your files up (webspace, external drive, cd's/dvd's, etc), you could/should then do yet another reinstall of windows xp, reformatting this final time.

Could you please explain to me how I should make an XP installation disc with the HP/Compaq files. Should I make a new nlite run and then add them?

How do I select an alternate folder? I have not seen that option anywhere during my tries?

Thanks

Rob

I used to get this

the version is newer setup will now exit tough shi7e ::bye::

goto add remove programs then uninstall sp2

reeboot from cd 1st priority setting

walla

sorry if it is a bit l8

as for saving ya files you r gonna need a usb to ide cable

dont get fooled by these new fangled external hdd enclosure connectors they often need drivers installed and it freaks them out when ya add a different hdd

see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IDE-to-USB-2-0-CABLE...1QQcmdZViewItem

or this 1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-LAPTOP-HD-TO-3-5...1QQcmdZViewItem

then ya just plug ya hdd into it and goto docs n settings as if it were a running sys copy all ya files and then goto the icon for the drive add-on in my computer right click on it and select format

format dun install time

good luk m8e

Could you please supply subtitles in English? Please have pity with a dumb foreigner.

Thanks