What to remove? [win98]

jake_swe

Is there a guide or something were i can see what i can remove from my win98 se cd? Or there is maybe a tool that can do this like nLite?

Right now i got a windows xp installation that is around 300 mb and it seams silly that win98 se would need those 561 mb of space that it is orignally.

I guess that the: CDSAMPLE, TOOLS, and ADD_ONS folders aint needed i'm i right?

//Jake

Right now i got a windows xp installation that is around 300 mb and it seams silly that win98 se would need those 561 mb of space that it is orignally.

strange? i have a win98se and winME compilation cd together in 1 cd and win98se is only worth ~250mb (so did winME) and even that disk contain msdos 6.22 and win3.11

There are several things you can do for a lighter install of 98/SE without futzing around with the install CD.

One,,, when you do the install, use Custom install, where you can select the modules you want to install.

Two,,, I wrote a little batch file called "1st Clean.bat".

It deletes all Media, Wallpaper, Online Services and several other totally redundant folders from the HD.

It takes only a few seconds to run and removes a ton of crapola.

Later during my setup, I install a minimal set of sound files and beautiful wallpapers. (something 98 never did have).

Good Luck,

Andromeda ;)

Geez, I actually always look for more "junk" to install rather than less!

How do wallpapers, screensavers, tiny wave files, etc slow down or take up too much space on today's massive hard drives? I even copy all that stuff, including all the Plus! stuff, to my XP installs.

I love old junk that makes me nostalgic.

Unless you're using 32MB of memory on 3.2 GB hard drives with 300MHz processors I wouldn't worry about some nice pictures and sounds.

And that cool cd sampler reminds me to break out Return of Arcade once in a while.

It reminds me of lot's of folks who use stuff like IE Eradicator then install IE anyway. Old programs need stuff left over from IE 4 and 5, and that is properly left behind when updating IE. No need to fully remove the older version, and in some cases problematic.

to reduce size abit more u may want to try upx.

it compresses exe files and dll files.

when iwe done this i left all directx dlls out ( coz ther used alot and to uncompress em everytime slowed things down just alittle but i'm just picky ).

also i skipped all the files in the windows\command folder.

it usaly shrinks the windows folder down with 35%-40%.

but take backups b4 u even try this.

http://upx.sourceforge.net/

EDIT:

ah and u can remove txt files and all the wav files aswell.

the bmp files u dont use well use you'r imagination :)

Edited by TbbW

to reduce size abit more u may want to try upx.

it compresses exe files and dll files.

when iwe done this i left all directx dlls out ( coz ther used alot and to uncompress em everytime slowed things down just alittle but i'm just picky ).

also i skipped all the files in the windows\command folder.

it usaly shrinks the windows folder down with 35%-40%.

but take backups b4 u even try this.

http://upx.sourceforge.net/

EDIT:

ah and u can remove txt files and all the wav files aswell.

the bmp files u dont use well use you'r imagination :)

It is a bad idea to compress everything possible with this method. Not only does it take time to decompress but also it affects how the dlls are stored in memory. For example if their is a dll that is used by several programs it will make a new copy of itself in memory everytime it is called rather than just shareing one.

This is because windows sees the copressed file on the hard drive as being different than the uncompressed one that is already in memory.

My explanation maybe as clear as mud but the point is with lots compressed files windows will use more memory.

But if you have lots of memory it may not make that much of a difference if you have lots of memory.

Geez, I actually always look for more "junk" to install rather than less!

How do wallpapers, screensavers, tiny wave files, etc slow down or take up too much space on today's massive hard drives? I even copy all that stuff, including all the Plus! stuff, to my XP installs.

I love old junk that makes me nostalgic.

Unless you're using 32MB of memory on 3.2 GB hard drives with 300MHz processors I wouldn't worry about some nice pictures and sounds.

And that cool cd sampler reminds me to break out Return of Arcade once in a while.

It reminds me of lot's of folks who use stuff like IE Eradicator then install IE anyway. Old programs need stuff left over from IE 4 and 5, and that is properly left behind when updating IE. No need to fully remove the older version, and in some cases problematic.

Hi Jake,

Firstly I could be wrong, but I think Eck missed the point of removing "junk" from Win98. I personally removed the "junk" from several of my multi-boot 98O/S... to improve the stability and usability of Win98.

Are you trying to do the same?

(I run Win98 and XP on a AMD Athlon 1.8, with 512mb ram and a 60gb hard-drive. Maybe not "state-of-the-art", but not sluggish either.)

Any way back to reducing Win98. Is a method which will give you a basic 9x, about 120 mb, plus the remainder as components added to the Windows Setup tab in Add/Remove programs of interest? Although you will need the full "98lite" program. This method is called "Speedos", and it's a fellow Brit's idea, which he is happy to share with anyone who wants it.

As regards using "IE Eradicator then install IE anyway", Win98 runs like a dream this way compared to Microsoft standard installation of IE. I tried both ways of running IE, and using IE Eradicator is definately more stable.

Regards,

waywyrd :)