Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

prathapml

How can I create unattended setup of Office 2007 as an ugrade of office 2003? (and slipstreaming it in a windows 2003 r2 dvd)
Creating unattended setup is described in my first post in this topic.

By default, o2k7 will upgrade o2k3.

And to slip-stream (or rather, install o2k7 with svr2k3R2) read the MSFN unattended guide.

sadly you can't get rid of the local installation folder as it is needed now, since administrative installation points have gone away. local installation files will always be generated for the installation.
I read about it, but clearly LIS is not that much an essential part. Right since the office 2000 days, i've always been led to believe that the LIS is on the hard-disk for the purpose of re-install/repair-install/etc.

And its the same case even now, because setup installs o2k7 completely, then makes the MSOcache folder, & then exits. So it has no part to play in 1st-install, and I see no need for any repairs, considering that any install-problems on our systems will be fixed by a restore of original disk-image.

I'm going to be forced to edit the CUSTOM.MSP to add a post-install task - a CMD script to search all writable partitions for the folder named MSOcache & if found, remove it!

i think that 5xx mb are not much of a space eater. and its saves people a lot of problems with the modify/repair. for me, im letting the folder as it is.

windows should have a function to "completely hide" a folder/archive so it doesnt display it, not even when turning off hide hidden files. this way we can hide many things that are annoying like SYSTEMTOOLS folder of diskeeper.

590 MB definitely is a space eater.

Especially, when i deliberately create a C: partition of only 7.5 GB to hold only the most important parts of the system - OS & basic apps alone - all else to other partition. (& i have a 500 GB HDD).

Moreover, its not about "space occupied" - its about unnecessary junk that you KNOW will NEVER be used.

590 MB definitely is a space eater.

Especially, when i deliberately create a C: partition of only 7.5 GB to hold only the most important parts of the system - OS & basic apps alone - all else to other partition. (& i have a 500 GB HDD).

Moreover, its not about "space occupied" - its about unnecessary junk that you KNOW will NEVER be used.

i agree. i just mentioned that the modify/repair functionality is a saver for "average" people. personally i dont like to have any unnecessary stuff in my system so when a solution come out i will use it. but when people call me and say: "i tried to open x document but the program crashed..." well, its easy to tell them just to repair the installation. it saves me a lot of trips to install it over again.

Would it be possible to shrink Office2007?

I have been using an unattended shrinked Office2003, 60MB (still using CD, since there are still a lot of computers without DVD). So I am hoping I will be able to shrink 2007 as well :)

I'm trying to install Office Enterprise 2007 in my AD environment via Group Policy.

Office 2003 was manually installed before I got here, so I don't have a Group Policy to upgrade.

On some test machines, when I push Office 2007, it installs next to Office 2003, not over top, or as an upgrade. This is totally not the desired affect.

Here's my config.xml file...

<Configuration Product="Enterprise">

<Display Level="basic" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="no" AcceptEula="yes" />

<!-- <Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Enterprise Setup(*).txt" /> -->

<PIDKEY Value="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" />

<USERNAME Value="XXXXXXX" />

<COMPANYNAME Value="XXXXXXXX" />

<INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" />

<!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->

<SOURCELIST Value="\\XXXXXXXX\Microsoft\Office Enterprise 2007\Install" />

<!-- <DistributionPoint Location="\\server\office" /> -->

<OptionState Id="ACCESSFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //access

<OptionState Id="OUTLOOKFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //outlook

<OptionState Id="PubPrimary" State="Local" Children="force" /> //publisher

<OptionState Id="AceRepl" State="absent" Children="force" /> //access db Engine replication

<OptionState Id="CAGFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //Clip Organizer

<OptionState Id="MSSOAP3" State="absent" Children="force" /> //SOAP toolkit

<OptionState Id="OsaNonBoot" State="Local" Children="force" /> //new,open office docu lnks

<OptionState Id="ProofingTools_1036" State="absent" Children="force" /> //french

<OptionState Id="ProofingTools_3082" State="absent" Children="force" /> //spanish

<OptionState Id="WISPFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //handwriting

<OptionState Id="DocServicesFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //docu update util

<OptionState Id="HTMLSourceEditing" State="Local" Children="force" /> //script editor

<OptionState Id="DocumentImagingUtils" State="Local" Children="force" /> //scanning,ocr,indexing

<OptionState Id="OISFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //picture manager

<OptionState Id="OSESupp" State="Local" Children="force" /> //sharepoint support

<OptionState Id="QueryFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //msQuery

<OptionState Id="VisioPreviewerFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //visio viewer

<OptionState Id="XDOCSFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //infopath

<OptionState Id="GrooveFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //groove

<OptionState Id="OneNoteFiles" State="Local" Children="force" /> //onenote

<OptionState Id="RefIEBarFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //research explorer bar

<OptionState Id="WebDriveFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //hosted webs

<OptionState Id="VBAFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //VB for applications

<OptionState Id="OfficeDigitalSFiles" State="absent" Children="force" /> //vba certificates

<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="IfNeeded" />

<!-- <Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->

</Configuration>

Another question, if I have a .msp file in the updates folder, does that get applied when installing from the Enterpriseww.msi file via group policy?