• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
prathapml

Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

328 posts in this topic

Okay after reading for about 2 weeks and everything I can about the OCT tool, I'm just about to give up. I had everything working where it was installing Office 07 from a dvd I created with all the serials and everything. It would upgrade the existing setup if there was a previous version and then install the updates and then project and visio. My boss asked if I could exclude infopath which I replied I could. From making that one change I haven't been able to chain any of the products anymore.

I primarily used the OCT tool to chain everything. Office would chain to Project, and Project to Visio. The command line argument I used at the time would direct the install to go to the PrjPro.WW folder and use the config.xml. From there, I had nothing in the .xml files... it would read the .msp files for the info and would read that after install to run Visio installer. But I can't get anything to chain in any subsequent dvd I burned. It there a command or anything I should double check?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Zac

Well after reinstalling the server software I was able to get all the programs chained and install correctly. Now the problem I have is that when testing this setup in Vista, I'm only getting Office to install and not Project and Visio.

Would anyone know off hand what is configure in Vista to prevent my disc from working?

Hello.

Is it possible to create installation-point for the MS Project without sources for excel, word, access and so on?

Can somebody tell me: which folders should I use to create separate installation-point for the MS project.

At this moment, root folder contains following directories:

ACCESS.DE-DE\
Access.en-us\
Admin\
CATALOG\
EXCEL.DE-DE\
Excel.en-us\
GROOVE.DE-DE\
INFOPATH.DE-DE\
InfoPath.en-us\
OFFICE.DE-DE\
Office.en-us\
OFFICE64.DE-DE\
Office64.en-us\
OMUI.DE-DE\
ONENOTE.DE-DE\
OneNote.en-us\
OneNote.WW\
OUTLOOK.DE-DE\
Outlook.en-us\
PMUI.DE-DE\
POWERPOINT.DE-DE\
PowerPoint.en-us\
PrjPro.WW\
PROJECT.DE-DE\
Project.en-us\
PROOFING.DE-DE\
Proofing.en-us\
ProPlus.WW\
PUBLISHER.DE-DE\
Publisher.en-us\
ROSEBUD.DE-DE\
Rosebud.en-us\
SHAREPOINTDESIGNER.DE-DE\
SharePointDesigner.en-us\
SharePointDesigner.WW\
UPDATES\
VISIO.DE-DE\
Visio.en-us\
VISMUI.DE-DE\
VisPro.WW\
WORD.DE-DE\
Word.en-us\
XMUI.DE-DE\

PS: Actually, I must split this source to a 3 separate installation-points :wacko: :

1. MS Office

2. MS Visio

3. MS Projects

I deployed Office MM7 with SP1 in Updates folder via RunOnceEx string thanks to brilliant help by prathapml. Thanx!

I have tried all night to reduce size of Office installation and to slipstream.

I have reduced the size of SP1 by only keeping 1 essential msp update which is required for Excell/Word/Ppt deployment.

It seems that problem of reducing size of Installation lies in setup installer, which cheks for files and folders. If i remove even 1 essential it failes right away. (some folders as Updates and Admin can be removed without getting any errrors at setup run).

It seems that we need someone to decompile setup.exe and recompile it in image we want, or tonight I will try to trick it with blank install files (make file named same as un original you dont want to install and replace it)

See ya tommorow with progress update.

Okay after reading for about 2 weeks and everything I can about the OCT tool, I'm just about to give up. I had everything working where it was installing Office 07 from a dvd I created with all the serials and everything. It would upgrade the existing setup if there was a previous version and then install the updates and then project and visio. My boss asked if I could exclude infopath which I replied I could. From making that one change I haven't been able to chain any of the products anymore.

Plz give me that tool`s download link

Nothing worked, had to settle with putting unattended file and SP1 in Updates folder.

This truly exceedes my computer skills.

Will try to contact a college in Microsoft for pointers, but dont think it will help much, cause it seems this was made to be used the way it is now.

I have been installing Office 2007 silently using SMS 2003 and it has been going quite well. Usually I will push it out to about ten machine at a time. During the last few times, I had a few that failed. What I discovered was that if the machine has any version of a 2007 component already installed (i.e. Sharepoint Designer, One Note, or Web Design Client, the silent install will fail. Because I have pre cached the files to the machine, I can do a manual install. After clicking the setup.exe a box appears that has the existing component listed as well as the Office version that is to be installed along with radio buttons and a continue button. Because the install was set to be silent, this box will never run when SMS tries to do the install. Does anyone know of a way to bypass this and have the Office install silently? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello people

At first, thanks for this thread because it solves many of my doubts about Office 2007 Unatended installation!!!!

The problem I have now is that:

I have a compresed auto-self extracting office2007 installation of other guys and i want to change the modal.msp file for mine. Its possible to view what options they choose or I have to create a new one and replace. I have done this and the installation doesnt work. What can i Do?

I dont know if i have explained it well!!

Thanks again!

For installing add-ins for Office 2007 do the following:

ECHO.
ECHO Installing 'Microsoft Office 2007 Add-Ins'
ECHO Please wait...
ECHO Microsoft Office Outlook Connector
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Office2007\Add-Ins\msnolcon.msi /q
ECHO Outlook Personal Folders Backup
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Office2007\Add-Ins\pfbackup.msi /q
ECHO Office 2007 Add-in Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Office2007\Add-Ins\SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe /q

PS: You have to extract 'pfbackup.exe' to get 'pfbackup.msi'.

Sorry about this noobie question guys. :blushing:

But is this part of a RunOnceEx .cmd or can it be used from an Office 2007 install DVD?

Also a BIG THANK YOU to Prathapml and the other posters here.

You helped me move from a 500mb download .exe to a Fully Unattended Office2007 SP1 install DVD

Thanks Guys :thumbup

Hello,

I'm trying to use the following config.xml file to run some uninstallers (mainly Office 2003 apps) after my Office 2007 Small Business installation. However, the setup.exe file complains that the following XML is not valid. Can anyone tell my why this won't work?

Thanks.

<Configuration Product="SmallBusiness">

<Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/x \\<servername>\deploy$\Office2003\Office\PRO11.MSI" QuietArg="/qn" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" Wait="-1" />
<Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/x \\<servername>\deploy$\Office2003\FrontPage\FP11.MSI" QuietArg="/qn" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" Wait="-1" />
<Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/x \\<servername>\deploy$\Office2003\OneNote\ONOTE11.MSI" QuietArg="/qn" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" Wait="-1" />
<Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/x \\<servername>\deploy$\Office2003\Project\PRJPROE.MSI" QuietArg="/qn" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" Wait="-1" />
<Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/x \\<servername>\deploy$\Office2003\Visio\VISPRO.MSI" QuietArg="/qn" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" Wait="-1" />
<Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/x \\<servername>\deploy$\Office2007CompatPack\O12Conv.msi" QuietArg="/qn" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" Wait="-1" />

</Configuration>

Hi everyone.

I have checked this forum and tried the suggestions but I still have a small problem.

After removing Office 2003 and installing 2007, my pc reboots.

I have Office Enterprise on a network drive but I'm only installing Pro plus for the users.

I'm using Option A, so I have an MSP.

The MSP is fully silent and I have selected everything that ProPlus allows

I have placed the MSP in the ProPlus.WW folders and the setup.exe as well.

I run the setup files from there using the command (note I haven't included the full path to each file):

start /wait setup.exe /adminfile "OfficePro.msp" /config "norestart.xml"

where norestart.xml contains:

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<!-- <Setting Id="Setup_Reboot" Value="NEVER" /> -->

</Configuration>

But it still restarts.

I'd like to avoid option B, but any suggestions appreciated.

<!-- <Setting Id="Setup_Reboot" Value="NEVER" /> -->

</Configuration>

I think you should delete the exclamation mark in your xml file. It would be like this:

<Setting Id="Setup_Reboot" Value="NEVER" />

</Configuration>

Hello.

Is it possible to create installation-point for the MS Project without sources for excel, word, access and so on?

Can somebody tell me: which folders should I use to create separate installation-point for the MS project.

At this moment, root folder contains following directories:

ACCESS.DE-DE\
Access.en-us\
Admin\
CATALOG\
EXCEL.DE-DE\
VISMUI.DE-DE\
VisPro.WW\
WORD.DE-DE\
Word.en-us\
XMUI.DE-DE\

PS: Actually, I must split this source to a 3 separate installation-points :wacko: :

1. MS Office

2. MS Visio

3. MS Projects

Hi

I am having the same issue here. I would like to achieve what "Follia" was trying to do. I only want to create an unattened install for Visio 2007 only, and i dont need the rest of the folders. If i try to delete the other folders, such as WORD, EXCEL, it will not work. Is there any way to slim down the installation source??

Also, regarding reboot after install, if i set the display as "basic" and enable "supress modal", does this mean, if a reboot is required, it will do a force reboot? I think this is what has happened to me, so i disabled "supress modal", and modified the XML file, to do a NEVER reboot. However, now i am getting this error in the logs:

Error: Type: MsiRecordSetInteger call failed.. MsiAPICallFailure ErrorCode: 87(0x57).

MSI(UNKNOWN_MESSAGE) terminating install : MsgType='167772160', Msg='1: 2: 3: 4: 5:

Any ideas?

Also, lets say i want to install project and visio, from the same installation source. I have included various updates and Service packs of project and visio into the "updates" folder. When i install Visio, will it attempt to install, all of the updates in the "updates" folder? Or is this smart enough to detect and install only the required updates?

And finally, i noticed that when i extracted the Visio 2007 SP1 update, it produced about 6 MSP's. Only 1 seems to be the SP1 for Visio. Can i just put the VisioSp1 MSP into the "updates" folder, or should i put all the MSP's into the "updates" folder?

Thanks for listening!!

DMKory

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to make Nlite addon of Ofiice 2007, as small as possible.

Is there any way to unpack all the office .cabs to some administrative install folder, to reduce size of resulting .7z archive?

Thanks in advance.

got a bit of a weird problem with my silent install..

so i'm using the first method with the MST file..

I set it to install all components except office groove.

save the .MST and execute it

The install goes without errors but afterwards it seems only word, excel, outlook and powerpoint are installed though I've marked publisher, onenote, access, infopath, etc to be installed too..

Am I missing something?

tnx in advance

hello and thanks for nice guide..

can someone tell me how to make outlook to get exchange server settings automaticly. i mean all users that log on pc

like username, exchange name, when user logs on domain pc

Hi guys,

I tried this with Option A and i can't get it to work. I keep getting the following error message:

Setup could not find any available products to install. Please contact your system administrator

Hope someone can help,

Cheers

i'd also like to add that the guide on page1 was great and easy to follow - i'm confused how some people managed to find rather difficult but hay ho.

clair,

same as yourself, OCT says you can add exchange info, but i can;t see where you can do this.

it does mention a prf can be imported to add this stiff, but need to understand how to create that prf file from existing install before all wiped off...

Thx for reply. I found a thread which listed the individual msp files. For some reason my extraction missed a couple. I tried it again and, as you say, the updates installed at the end of the office install. Version updated as well.

Now, if I could only figure out how to merge the unattended office2K7 install with an unattended XP Pro install - one DVD - life would be good.

Where is that thread? I'm having the same problem with sp1 installing. Otherwise, option b worked great for me! I have Office 2007 Ultimate downloaded as X12-30307.exe. I found another guide to be very helpfull here. The pic below shows the msp's that were extracted from sp1. Is that complete?

post-212753-1225257159_thumb.jpg

Edit:My extraction missed a few files too. I downloaded the service pack again, extracted again, and came up with the files I needed (shown in pic). Now everything's workin great!

post-212753-1225257171_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jackie Moon

hello every one... it's kind of difficult to understand it to me... i'll explain to you what i want to do... i want to make office silent but i want to have only word installed... and delete the other stuff, so it will be lighter... is it possible? what do you suggest me guys? thanks a million in advance for your answer, and sorry again for bothered you with this simple question...

can i get help please?

i created a custom msp file and placed it with the setup file then when i run this :

start /wait setup.exe /adminfile custom.msp

through a patch file i get a window asking me to wait while preparing the installation files and then setup just terminates !?

i face no problems at all when i only run the setup.exe directly.

Can anyone please explain to me what went wrong?

i'm trying this on a vm with winxp sp3 installed.

yep you can dream about answer here... or maybe you'll be lucky... who knows... look at my post date... no answer yet... and thankfully this is the website "where go to know..." ya right...

@hamohd

Chances are that there is some error message coming up and so setup is erroring out.

Have you followed Step 6 from the OptionA ?

Please do that, take note of the error dialog, and then you would know what to do. Or else we could help.

Also, are you sure you are using a volume licensed version (non-pirated?) that supports using MSPs ?

If you're using a retail edition, use Option B.

I set it to install all components except office groove. save the .MST and execute it

The install goes without errors but afterwards it seems only word, excel, outlook and powerpoint are installed though I've marked publisher, onenote, access, infopath, etc to be installed too..

Hi mich, is this an upgrade by any chance? If Office 2003 is installed, you might need to uninstall it first, through scripts or manually. Does the install run fine when run manually? Also, have you tried this in a VM with nothing else installed?

@neuropass

Yes you can make Office install silently. Yes you can choose to install only word. And by "delete the other stuff, so it will be lighter" if you mean that you don't want to install anything else, thats possible. But if you mean that you want to reduce the size of the installer itself, so as to retain only files related to installing MS Word, then that isn't possible (as far as I know), maybe someone can find out how it can be done.

But I think one possible solution in your case is, to use the MS Word disc (MS Office is sold in different versions - editions that bundle a lot of apps, as well as individual apps in a standalone form). Atleast those companies with volume licensing can get access to individual apps. But don't expect very much size reduction, because MS-Office apps are quite small by themselves, but they all have dependencies on shared components that make up the majority of space occupied. In other words, MSO 2007 Std Edn may be 320 MB by itself, and Word 2007 might be 200 MB by itself.

Also you might want to take a look at this thread - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39016

@prathapml

thanks you but i managed to solve it.

the problem was that i tried to share the custom.msp created in my VM somewhere else but it gave it that error.

it seem that custom.msp has to be used only where created.

Considering that I've verified that an MSP created on one machine works just fine across hundreds of machines, I'd say "sharing it to somewhere else" is not a cause for error. Provided it is tested well while being made, and you keep the software environment uniform when deploying it, it should install just fine.