Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Office 2007, Unattended Setup & Fine-tuning

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

patronu

patronu

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 19-June 05
every evaluation version form microsoft gives me the error from the image I posted :realmad: . why? is this a feature? :D

Attached Files

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

if I have a .msp file in the updates folder, does that get applied when installing from the Enterpriseww.msi file via group policy?

Yes, as long as MSI version 3.1 is installed & available on destination PC.

any idea how to get rid of office 2003 during the upgrade?

When you make the MSP, specify that you want to remove all previous versions.

I was wondering if this method works for Proplus. I have put the .msp file in the updates folder and when I go to deploy it to a test machine it starts to install office but quickly comes to the ctrl-alt-del then when I log in to check it only installs the office folder. No word excel etc. jsut like image scanner and one other office tool. any thoughts on this?

This method works only on VolumeLicense (known in warez as "Corp. editions"). If you try with retail/oem/trial versions, this functionality is blocked.
Also, if you use the MSP, just check that you have an updated WindowsInstaller version (=MSI 3.1).
And also, maybe setup is running into some errors - test the setup manually first, with modals (error boxes) allowed, & with full display level.

am wondering what option i need to set to make it completely silent, i still have the option window were it says install and customize.

Once you're sure that your unattended setup is flawless, modify the MSP to make it silent.
Or set these values in config.xml:
<Display Level="basic" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

every evaluation version form microsoft gives me the error from the image I posted :realmad: . why? is this a feature? :D

Yes.
Evaluation editions (and some others too) dont allow using MSP.
In such cases, use the config.xml instead.
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 30-September 05
MSP file? :unsure:

what MSP file?

Is it an MSP file or an XML file? :unsure:

Does it suddenly auto reboot these days (Office 2007 Professional Enterprise) with the original XML file in the first post?

Eeeeeeeeh dear.

Well thanks for this vital info prathapml you are such an asset to this forum :)

Edited by LeveL, 27 December 2006 - 10:42 PM.

patronu

patronu

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 19-June 05
but it's much more simple to use OCT instead of config.xml. why they do this?
also I suspect that Office 2007 standard doesn't support msp files. is this true?

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 30-September 05

also I suspect that Office 2007 standard doesn't support msp files. is this true?

So now theres OCT, MSP and XML.

Sorry to have to say this but no, this isn't "more simple" than it used to be. :huh:

To install Office 2003 silently all you had to do was use this switch:

SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

Now with Office 2007 we have to mess around with XML files, or is it MSP
files, or is it OCT.... next someone will be saying theres another way. :no:

patronu

patronu

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 19-June 05

So now theres OCT, MSP and XML.

Sorry to have to say this but no, this isn't "more simple" than it used to be. :huh:

To install Office 2003 silently all you had to do was use this switch:

SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

Now with Office 2007 we have to mess around with XML files, or is it MSP
files, or is it OCT.... next someone will be saying theres another way. :no:

i think you don't know what oct and msp are and the difference between xml and msp files and how to create them

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 30-September 05

i think you don't know what oct and msp are and the difference between xml and msp files and how to create them

I think it doesn't matter now, because I have sorted it out the MSP way :P

Now I also want to stop it creating that huge MSOCache folder on the systemdrive,
that folder is 555Mb :( Almost as big as the Office installation itself!

There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the "Office Customization Tool" that
mentions any ability to disable the creation of the MSOCache folder.

The fact that its a hidden folder is annoying too... there will be people all over
who are thinking WHY have I "lost" half a gig on my C drive?! Microsoft are
experts at knowing how to anger people.
They make it easy to silently install
Office 2007 but then when it comes to really customizing it, EG stopping the creation
of a pointless 555Mb folder oooooooh no its different then - they don't tell you!

Excuse the French but.... w4nkers! Just total w4nkers! The whole of the Office 2007
setup is there on the CD okay... so then theres no need to dump 555Mb of baloney
on your drive! Why do it? Apart from to deliberately annoy people?

:realmad:

Someone prove to me that Microsoft are NOT trying to annoy people! Prove it!

Edited by LeveL, 28 December 2006 - 12:58 PM.

ajua

ajua

Custom Installer Maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  • Joined 16-April 05

Someone prove to me that Microsoft are NOT trying to annoy people! Prove it!

i think microsoft is always tryng to improve some things but always leave something behind.
maybe there is something to disable the creation of the MSOCache folder but we have yet to find it.

and BTW, the documentation on Microsoft XML files for office 2007 didnt explain a lot of things, they almost take for granted that you know the Properties names and all, so you really "cant" customize all in the xml way unless you are an office 2007 xml files guru...

Custom Installers for your unattended needs.

LeveL

LeveL

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 30-September 05

the documentation on Microsoft XML files for office 2007 didnt explain a lot of things, they almost take for granted that you know the Properties names and all, so you really "cant" customize all in the xml way unless you are an office 2007 xml files guru...

Funny because thats exactly what I thought when trying to do the Vista Unattend.xml
without the WAIK = impossible. How stupid it is to even use XML files, why not just
use HTML or INI or something thats (almost) in plain English and far more people
will understand?

Because its Microsoft....

"How annoyed do you want to be today?"

ivicav

ivicav
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06
Well, I made MSP file for unattended install, but there is no way to splitstream it in WinXP successfully. Any time started install there is a message that I miss windows installer 3.1. I made a script to install installer before I start setup for office, but it didn't work. Just popup that it can't restart program. I know I made mistake but WHERE? It's really annoying thing. Anyway, is there any way to add WinInstaller 3.1 BEFORE I start Office setup file?

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
To solve above problem, you can do one of the 3 below:

1. Integrate ryanVM update pack into XP (it contain MSI 3.1)
2. Install msi3.1 during cmdlines & o2k7 at runonce.
3. Use the 2nd method that I mentioned (modifying config.xml).
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

sixpack

sixpack

• PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04

It is possible to remove auto-reboot process after silent install ??

"start /wait setup.exe /adminfile custom.msp"........no reboot!!!

Ad this to your config.xml as last command and before </Configuration>
..............<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="ReallySuppress" /> </Configuration>

Never say, "Oops!" always say, "Ah, interesting!"

rippernz

rippernz
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 02-July 05
Hi guys,

in using option A to try install office 2007 but im having issues with taking the files off the CD and being able to be read from the HDD, when i run SETUP.EXE /ADMINFILE CUSTOM.MSP i get an error

"setup can not continue because a required file is either currupt or not available. Run setup again from the original source disk or download location"

I have copied the files from the CD and to the HDD when i get this error.

Anyone else recieved this error or able to help me out.

Thnx

sixpack

sixpack

• PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04

Hi guys,

in using option A to try install office 2007 but im having issues with taking the files off the CD and being able to be read from the HDD, when i run SETUP.EXE /ADMINFILE CUSTOM.MSP i get an error

"setup can not continue because a required file is either currupt or not available. Run setup again from the original source disk or download location"

I have copied the files from the CD and to the HDD when i get this error.

Anyone else recieved this error or able to help me out.

Thnx

Use install option B
that will work for you
Never say, "Oops!" always say, "Ah, interesting!"

HJW

HJW

MultiBoot Freak

• PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 26-February 05
Ok I am really - confused :wacko:

Method 1 either Method 2 doesnt work for my office 2007 cd. I am using a DUTCH version called Professional Plus - you dont have to remember that now cause it sucks.

Method 1 doesnt work for me because it isnt the enterprise edition. I tested it on an English Office07 and in that case it worked flawless.
Method 2. CONFIG.XML is located in \\Proplus.WW\\ and it really looks like the xml file descriped here but still SETUP.EXE /config \Proplus.WW\config.xml doesnt work.
:blink:
Setup does find the config file because if I change something like setup.exe /config proplus.ww\config2.xml is gives a message.

Any suggestion to get it working ?

thanks
HJW

Edited by 5128, 07 January 2007 - 02:11 PM.

Posted Image

run_bala

run_bala
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06
thanks da

regiscb

regiscb

• 17 posts
  • Joined 22-September 04
Hi all,

I have a Corp version and I have tested the option A and it works great.

Just one question : Is it possible (with option A) to have the choice of the programs to install, ie to keep the screen asking whether you want Access, Infopath, Word, etc... so you can skip the S/N screen, the EULA, but only these two ones? The install won't then be fully unattended, but similar to the Win XP "DefautHide"

Thanks for your help

weaz1dls

weaz1dls

• 15 posts
  • Joined 12-January 05
I am sure I will be stating the obvious here, however I have yet to see this stated here among all these complex instructions.

Setup Controller Command-Line Help

setup.exe
/admin - Launch the Office Customization Tool
/adminfile <admin file> - Specify a Customization patch or folder containing a customization path
/config <config file>- Specify a config.xml file
/modify <product ID>- Enter maintenance mode for product.
/repair <product ID> - Repair product
/uninstall <product ID> -Uninstall product

Hope this helps.

payskin

payskin
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05
Guys, I need help.

I'd like to fine tune the English Enterprise Setup CD to include the Hungarian Proofing Tools. For that I have the complete Proofing.hu-hu folder from the Hungarian Setup CD.

What I have done so far is:

1. Copied the English Enterprise CD to HDD
2. Copied the content (Proof.cab, Proof.msi, Proof.xml) from Proofing.hu-hu\Proof.hu folder to Proofing.en-us\Proof.hu
3. Edited the Proofing.en-us\setup.xml file to include all the references of the HU language files (copied them from Proofing.hu-hu\setup.xml)

Now the problem is that this has obviously changed MD5 of Proofing.en-us\setup.xml and Setup stops running right at the very first moment, saying the file is corrupt. I tried to find where it stores the MD5 of this file to change it, but I'm out of luck here.

Can anyone please help me?

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
Hi payskin, do not edit setup.xml - restore it as it was.

Just edit one of the already existing settings in the main config.xml to add-in a silent install of your language pack, like below (using relative paths):
<Command Path="..\office2k7\Proof.hu\proof.msi" Args="/QB"/>
I'm using those 2 dots in the command to tell it to look in parent directory. You will need to play with the paths & arguments to be passed to the language-pack installer.

You can make use of this info: option A , for use with Option B
Or you could simply make a batch-file to execute the o2k7 setup silently first, & then silently run the hungarian lang-pack.

Do let us know how it goes! :thumbup

Edited by prathapml, 02 February 2007 - 06:10 PM.

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

Method 2. CONFIG.XML is located in \\Proplus.WW\\ and it really looks like the xml file descriped here but still SETUP.EXE /config \Proplus.WW\config.xml doesnt work.
:blink:
Setup does find the config file because if I change something like setup.exe /config proplus.ww\config2.xml is gives a message.

Any suggestion to get it working ?

thanks
HJW

You need to use the "/config" parameter only if you're saving the xml with a different name.
If you are modifying the main config.xml, and the end-result is still a valid xml with no components or syntax errors, just run SETUP.exe directly.

Just one question : Is it possible (with option A) to have the choice of the programs to install, ie to keep the screen asking whether you want Access, Infopath, Word, etc... so you can skip the S/N screen, the EULA, but only these two ones? The install won't then be fully unattended, but similar to the Win XP "DefautHide"

Yes its possible, ensure the interface is full; & also edit the MSI (using orca) to make it show the program-selection screen directly (custom setup), instead of the simple-setup screen which simply has an "Install now" button.

kevy_stylez

kevy_stylez
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-January 07
Been reading, but I'm not quite sure on the sort of configuration I need to set if I want to only install outlook 2007 from the office installation source unattended. Is this possible? As my company is planning to do a migration cut over to outlook 2007 alone and was wondering if there is a way to manipulate the office2007 installation to only install outlook 2007?

Thanks

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
It is possible, but possibly unnecessarily complex.
You can actually obtain a stand-alone Outlook 2007 instead!

Kunta Kinte

Kunta Kinte
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 07-February 07
Hello everyone.

I configured my config.xml file. Now when I launch setup, it takes about 30 seconds for Office to install However when I check in All Programs, Office isn't there. I knew it wasn't installing because the process wouldn't take 30 seconds (+)(-)

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Here is a copy of my config.xml file.....please help

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<!-- Display settings -->
<Display Level="Basic"
CompletionNotice="yes"
SuppressModal="no"
AcceptEula="Yes"
/>

<!-- Specifies the type of logging that Setup performs(Default Settings) -->
<Logging Type="verbose"
Path="%temp%"
Template="Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt"
/>

<!-- sPECIFY VLK -->
<PIDKEY Value="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" />

<!-- User name element will not be used <USERNAME Value="Customer" /> -->

<!-- Company name -->
<COMPANYNAME Value="My Company" />

<!-- Specify fully qulified path of folder on User's computer for installation (Default Settings)-->
<INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" />

<!-- Controls how the local installation source (LIS) is cached on the user's computer (Default Settings) -->
<LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" />

<!-- This list of sources is kept with the installed product and is used by Setup if the local installation source (LIS)
on the user's computer is missing or corrupted -->
<SOURCELIST Value="\\server\Office2007" />

<!-- Specify fully qualified path to network installation point -->
<DistributionPoint Location="\\server\Office2007" />

<!-- specify values for Windows Installer properties -->
<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="IfNeeded" />

</Configuration>

Annita

Annita

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 10-September 04
I have an Office 2k7 full install.
To optimize space I would like to know the files/folders only for Office 2k7 Enterprise Edition, is it possible??? Which one are???

Thnx,

Annita

Edited by Annita, 08 February 2007 - 03:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Baidu (1)