I need help with Windows Media Center 2005.

ok, when I open Windows Media Center everything start fine, then I get a error saying "Media Center crash reporting", and Media Center shutdown automatically. Then I click error report and it show me a error signature:

EvenType: MCX P1: sh.5.1.2700.2180 P2: Homepage

P3: NullRef P4: CPisturesSPExperience_FinishTaskOnBGThread

P5: 124 P6: Run P7:RunTask

Edited by kabal007

ok, I found the problem that I'm having with Media Center. The problem is that when I go to "my pictures" automatically Media Center start crashing and shutdown. I think that something is missing or some files are missing, because the rest of the programs are working perfectly. Do you have any idea how to fix this problem?

No idea. I have got a video file. When I open the folder which contains it, explorer crashes. I have tested with some computers but explorer still crashes.

Maybe you have a picture that Media Center doesn't appreciate ??

You got 2 choice:

Step 1:

My problem was, MCE would immediately crash if the MY PICTURES in the menu was highlighted, which it is during scrolling, even if you don't select it.

I tried one fix suggested, that of changing the SortString value to 0, but this didn't work for me.

What did work was this:

1. Create a new user name.

2. Sign on as the new user. Check to see if you have the same problem when you open Media Center. If you do, then the rest of the below steps will not be of help to you. But, if you DO NOT have a crashing problem under the new user log in, then proceed with the below.

3. Go to RUN\REGEDIT\ HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\MRU\PicturesMRU

4. Note the NAMES listed, i.e. Default, MRU #0, MRU #1 etc. Write these down. Also, jot down the "DATA" information exactly as it appears (caps, spaces, etc). Log off, and then log back on under your normal user name.

5. Repeat step 3.

6. Compare the NAMES listed with those listed from step 4. (I bet your missing some, and that's probably your problem.

7. Add any missing NAMES, (be exact with caps & spaces) and under "MODIFY" (right click on the NAME you just entered) copy exactly the data information for that NAME from step 4. All of the binary information and values will automatically be entered. (Don't ask me how)

8. Reboot and see if your problem went away.

Lastly, trash all registery cleaners and vow to never again use them with XPMCE.

or Step 2:

What you can do is Create a new user name -> Then go to Start -> Go to RUN\REGEDIT\ HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center. Note the "NAMES" that's listed, then log off.

log back on under your normal user name account-> Go to

RUN\REGEDIT\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center and Compare the "NAMES" that's listed. If you got "MediaFolder, PicturesMRU and VideosMRU" delete them. Reboot and see if your problem went away. I did step 2 and it work perfect.

Edited by kabal007