X-Fi Remote

acetken

I got an X-Fi Fatal1ty and have the drivebay box with remote. The only program I can seem to use is the default one that shipped with the card and is absolutely terrible.

I basically want to control Winamp and WinDVD & Stuff like that. Is there anything freeware or otherwise that's relatively easy to set up like that? I tried Girder, but it didn't seem to work with my remote. Please tell me my only option is NOT the Creative software.

/me shudders.

It seems the only way I can get for it to register commands in anything is to have the Creative software installed IN ADDITION to whatever I have.

I hate having a useless remote hanging around!

Does anyone know if Media Center supports it out of the box?

Is there absolutely no freeware stuff at all? I am stuck with the remote that ships with the audigy 4.

Problem with girder 4 is its gonna cost just as much as buying the microsoft media centre remote at OEM if not more!

@hatsumi

I think you can work on the option "remapping your buttons on XFi Remote"

This post details similar option to that of yours!

Cheers for that.

Still looks like the entertainment centre has to be installed though :(

What I am really after is using it with my basic HTPC I made out of spares, it won't have the audigy 4 installed, just want to play *.avi of T.V. shows and my DVDs through it. Also can't install the entertainment centre without having the audigy installed.

I might need to check out a linux distro something thats apparently easy to use like ubuntu, as LIRC looks like it might work, as WINLIRC hasn't been updated for 4 years.

In that case you simply switch over to earlier free version of girder, use multishift keys in the config and make your remote as master of everything, I use my creative remote to control winamp, dscaler, mediaplayer, mouse, and other many itsy bitsy things. Girder simply is the best.