microsoft xp and office problem

MADDAWG4

Wow i am so extremly frustrated have a paper due tommorrow and microsoft word 2003 stopped working. I installed some office update online and it made my microsoft word stop working.

When i open it itwindows installer comes on and says preparing to instal. Then it says installing microsoft word feature.

Then it says the feature you are trying to use is on a disk or removable storage that is not available. Then it says insert microsoft office basic Edition 2003 and click ok.

Then no matter what i click it says blah blah try to find installation package BASIC11N.MSI from a folder in which you can install the product.

Then when i click cancel it says error 1706. setup cannot find required files. then when i click ok it closes microsoft word and i cannot use it. Then it says microsoft word is not installed for this user... run setup.... or something like that.

WTF... and when you try to call microsoft they want to charge you $35.

Please help i am a broke college student who is trying to type a paper.

thank you

I need ms word for the file format. plus im not a fan of notepad.

I dont have the original disc the software was installed on this laptop when it was given to me.

First question, did you get these updates from "Microsoft Updates", "Windows Udates" or "Office Updates".

If you got them from "Office Updates", you may want to try going back to office updates and try to download the updates that do not require the cd. It should ask you this as an option. You may have to clear your tempory internet files, cache, etc.

*edit to add...

In a pinch, if you can't get it working quickly enough, I would try http://www.openoffice.org/. It's a free suite, fully funtional. I personally have not used it, but I do have a lot of skilled tech type friends that sware by it. I personnly have no need as I have a 03 myself.

Edited by snafumaster

i realized it was the service pack 2 that caused the problem but i cant uninstall it and i dont have the original cd. is there anything i can do besides get the original? and it wont let me install the update that doesnt require the cd i guess its to late.

Get an office CD somehow (call M$, they might be able to send one to you)... without the CD you're going to find it difficult.

Unless, search around the hard drive, the manufacturer might've left the install files somewhere on there.

What you may want to do is to load Open Office on your system (http://www.openoffice.org/)

The writer in it has pretty much the same features and buttons and is totally compatible with Word and it is free!

PS Make sure that you save in Word format!

This would be my suggestion all the way.

If you don't have the $$$ to pay for Microsoft office, Open office is a great free alternative--I would definately check it out.