Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Including nLite Driver CABs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

mystek

mystek

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
Has anyone used nLite to create a updated driver.cab file to add specific drivers to a build and incorporated that with HFSLIP? Is it possible or is there a better or preferred method?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

murvun

murvun

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts
a better or preferred method:

Integrating drivers with HFSLIP
Posted Image

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
If you want to add or replace files in DRIVER.CAB/SP*.CAB you can always use the HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB folder. I introduced this some time ago but to my knowledge nobody took advantage of it yet. Experiment with it if you like. It only works with merging options A, B or C.

Edited by Tomcat76, 20 April 2006 - 09:00 AM.

Posted Image
Real-time support (Yahoo Messenger): hfslip_tc76
Update lists for HFSLIP finals: Win2K SP4 (2008-04-10), WinXP SP3 (2008-06-11) and Win2K3 SP2 (2008-05-25).

Inexperience Patcher 0.7.1 * NoSoftwarePatents.com * My computer

mystek

mystek

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
Searched for info on the HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB folder. Couldn't find any? Do you have a link?

OK, this link http://www.msfn.org/...02&hl=DRIVERCAB

Oleg II recommends creating a HFDRV folder in HFSLIP directory to add your drivers there.

one of your posts:

Added DRIVERCAB feature. This is intended to replace existing files in the DRIVER.CAB file. Create the folder DRIVERCAB inside HFEXPERT and place your files in there. This only works with merging options A, B and C. Files in SP*.CAB and newer driver binaries are also replaced.

here you say this is to replace existing files? I am confused, which method do I start with?

Edited by mystek, 20 April 2006 - 12:10 PM.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
You can add new files too with HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB. It's not limited to overwriting existing files.

But if files need to be modded you're on your own; I just provided a way to add/replace files into DRIVER.CAB.

Edited by Tomcat76, 20 April 2006 - 12:14 PM.

Posted Image
Update lists for HFSLIP finals: Win2K SP4 (2008-04-10), WinXP SP3 (2008-06-11) and Win2K3 SP2 (2008-05-25).

mystek

mystek

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
OK, so when you say add/replace you mean update existing? or can you actually add new?

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
See above. We're trapped in a vicious circle of updating our own posts... :D
Posted Image

mystek

mystek

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
OK, I am going to try to extract the Driver.CAB from nLite that includes the drivers for my Alienware Aurora m7700 laptop and add them in to a new folder HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB and see how it works.

The overall goal is to get a lean secure platform for testing and development of different platforms through VM. Eventually I plan on using FDV's file set for W2K3 server as the base OS but for now I am trying to get familiar with HFSLIP, seems really awesome. :thumbup

Edited by mystek, 20 April 2006 - 01:47 PM.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
Just be sure to check if there are any additional files besides the ones inside DRIVER.CAB that need to be included. All HFSLIP does is add the files from HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB into DRIVER.CAB and update DRVINDEX.INF.
Posted Image

x-pert

x-pert

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
Tomcat76

If I will extract and put Sneaky's DriverPack to HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB will be work? Or I need to extract and put all files from folders to one folder? :huh:

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
The DriverPack won't be integrated. I've taken a look at it some time ago and HFSLIP needs to be updated to support it.
Posted Image

mystek

mystek

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
One last question before I try this, do I need the edited SETUPAPI.DLL and do I just put the drivers in the folder i.e (ar5211.sys, net5211.inf, and net5211.cat) for my wireless card? And add the rest of the drivers as individual associated files?

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
You know... I don't know anything about installing drivers. I never delved into that.

All I did was provide the means to add files into DRIVER.CAB. For whatever purpose.
Posted Image

mystek

mystek

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
I checked nLite drivers, (Not in the driver cab file) and he puts the drivers in separate folders 0 ... 9. Do you know if DRIVERCAB will allow that and have HFSLIP incorporate them? The reason I ask is that 2 drivers have a layout.bin and data1.cab file so if I try to copy them to the same folder they want to overwight the previous one. I looked in the nVidia GeForce 7800 FX video inf and found no reference to either file so I am not sure where to go from there.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
Subfolders aren't supported. I don't know about layout.bin, but I know that even with the HFDRV feature you need to unpack that data1.cab archive (and edit the installation INF file).

Edited by Tomcat76, 20 April 2006 - 08:40 PM.

Posted Image

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,680 posts
@mystek - Read what Tomcat said a few lines up. To rephrase, all hfslip does is pack additional files into the driver.cab file and update the drvindex.inf file. If what you are saying about NLITE making additional folders, you're probably better off just using the OEM method of drivers because it's doing the same exact thing. If you are on the quest for the smallest installation cd, I may suggest doing some homework on the link that murvun posted above. I'm in the same boat as Tomcat with driver stuff. I've been using the OEM method for years and it works 100% of the time.
Posted Image

dziubek

dziubek

Friend of HFSLIP

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

The DriverPack won't be integrated. I've taken a look at it some time ago and HFSLIP needs to be updated to support it.

Do you plan to add the support for BTS? :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Kramy

Kramy

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Subfolders aren't supported.

Without some modifications. :thumbup

Actually, right now I'm rather stumped on how to get my SATA drivers working at textmode. :huh: For now I just keep nLiting it, but once I learn more about how it's done I'll happily incorporate it into HFSLIP. That'll probably be a while though, since nLite makes it so much easier. ;)
IBM Thinkpad 390e (WinXP) - nLited
Athlon XP 2800+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Athlon XP 2000+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Compaq Presario 5008 (WinXP) - HFSLIP+nLited

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts

Do you plan to add the support for BTS? :rolleyes:

I had a quick look at it some time ago but that wasn't enough to figure out how the DriverPacks work. Coding it is fairly easy... but figuring out what needs to be done is something else.

Subfolders aren't supported.

Without some modifications. :thumbup

Adding support for subfolders is trivial. I just need to know how files inside them are being accessed. Should DRVINDEX.INF have lines like these?

01\myfile.inf
01\myfile.cab
02\myfile.sys
02\myfile.drv
Posted Image

Kramy

Kramy

• PipPip
  • 153 posts
I don't have any clue. I just made it so it can grab all the files from their proper subfolders and shove them into the same place, as well as not activating HFDRV if there are no .inf files in those subfolders. That way I could also add an _UNUSED folder for archiving older drivers and stuff. For the drivers I tested it worked fine(display drivers), but I still had to use nLite for the textmode portion.

A little off-topic, but could you change this line:
START /WAIT SP\i386\update\update.exe -u -n -o -q -s:%~dp0SOURCE\
To this?
START /WAIT SP\i386\update\update.exe -u -n -o -q -s:"%~dp0SOURCE\"
IBM Thinkpad 390e (WinXP) - nLited
Athlon XP 2800+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Athlon XP 2000+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Compaq Presario 5008 (WinXP) - HFSLIP+nLited

mystek

mystek

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
Looking at Tomcat76's post, the folder structure 01\mydriver.sys is how it is done in nLite and I would think it would work well for HFSLIP. That way two files with the same name wouldn't/shouldn't overwrite each other. Also I am trying to deal with textmode USATA drivers too. I will try to check how nLite deals with them since they work well if nLited.

Edited by mystek, 21 April 2006 - 05:23 AM.

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,680 posts
Kramy, to make your SATA drivers slipstreamed do it manually. Here's what I did in my source folder.
Edit the txtsetup.sif to add the appropriate driver files and other settings. You'll have to makecab the binaries and throw them into the source\i386.

Here's what I add to my txtsetup. This is for a via sata/raid mobo.

[SourceDisksFiles]
viapdsk.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
viamraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149 = "viapdsk"

[SCSI.load]
viamraid = viamraid.sys,4
viapdsk = viapdsk.sys,4

[SCSI]
viapdsk = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"
viamraid = "VIA SATA RAID Controller"

All I have to say about the BTS installer is this. I read thru the bts installer a while back and what it does is replace your setup files with his own. This doesn't really lend itself nicely to slipstreaming other things. Because your windows setup files are being replaced with his, you will get NLITE problems, as evident on the NLITE boards. Just a word of caution thats all. Then again, his installer I looked at was from a while back, perhaps by now he tweaked things to make them better. See the above crazy code? That is what would have to be automatically generated by hfslip.
Posted Image

Axed

Axed

• 15 posts
edit: removed post because i didnt read all the threads properly. I originally suggested a possible way of adding driverpack support but hadnt read all the info fully. From what people say, the big problems are all the .inf files point to special driver directories under weird names. Looks extremely difficult to do and time consuming to do.

Edited by Axed, 21 April 2006 - 07:25 AM.

Posted Image
Customise your Windows Install disk to be exactly what you want it to be, not what someone else chooses to put in.
Use HFSLIP and nLite.

Tomcat76

Tomcat76

MSFN Junkie

• Developer
  • 3,174 posts
@Axed: True. It won't make it into the planned final.

@Kramy: Done.
Posted Image

x-pert

x-pert

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
tommyp

See the above crazy code? That is what would have to be automatically generated by hfslip.

How about BTS slipstream_DPM.cmd ? B)

Edited by x-pert, 24 April 2006 - 10:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN