Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Build 5.1.2195 Released - Download Now

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
Hey,

Gurgelmeyer’s Unofficial Windows 2000 SP5 Build 5.1.2195 has been released!

Download it here:

http://www.war59312....6th_2006_build/

Major Geeks Mirror Now Online:

http://www.majorgeek...l_SP_d4817.html

Softpedia Mirror Now Online:

http://www.softpedia...icial-SP5.shtml

Enjoy,

Will

Edited by war59312, 11 May 2006 - 06:49 PM.

Ad Muncher Usage Statistics for v4.73 Beta Build 30552/2275
Adverts removed by Ad Muncher: 2,200,586
Approximate bandwidth saved: 17,192 MB
Counter started: April 2, 2003

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
is there a torrent ??? or shall i seed one ??? on some (thats meand i havent chosen one yet), torrent site....
[message of the .....whatever]
Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!
Where is the "any key" ???

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
I'll be brief (I'm on a very slow line right now, because my ISP wants me to pay the same bill twice... long story, don't worry :lol:)

USP 5.1.2195.21 (21 is the build number) contains:

- ~40-50 new non-security updates not available from WU. I think I got them all now, but I keep saying that don't I :whistle:

- All the security updates that were available on WU on 2006-04-16 for Windows 2000 and for the Windows 2000 versions of the built-in or the USP provided components.

- Fixes a BUG which caused setup from DOS to fail

- Fixes a BUG which might cause USP setup to take longer than it should

- Adds the USP version and build date to the System Properties

Next: USP 5.2 ! When? Donno. I definately need my DSL....

Best regards,
Gurgelmeyer B)

Dels

Dels

X2K Project Leader

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
@Gurgelmeyer
i think you must build a something like roll-up version so you didn't have to upload a BIG files only if you update some :D
or maybe think about byte patcher that can compare byte between a two big files and then you upload the patcher version :D

me, still waiting for USP 5.5 Extreme
Posted Image
X2K Project
Click Me

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
Me too :D
Posted Image

Joe User 99

Joe User 99

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
I just want WMP9 added in. (Or a seperate addon would work too!) :whistle:
Thanks for all the hard work though, it is appreciated. :thumbup

war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
All right, thanks. :)

rehack

rehack

• 24 posts
i'd just like to say it's working great! applied it to a vanilla win2k, used nlite to get it down to a 135mb iso, and so far it's done everything i've asked of it. wonderful job.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

or maybe think about byte patcher that can compare byte between a two big files and then you upload the patcher version

i don't think a byte pacher will do the trick.... because its often far from acurate.
a dif file though COULD perhaps help A litle bit though i think the work wouldn't be worth the few extra megs saved...

@gurgle, someone has picked up a nice project to create a 2k-ize patcher for win2k... screenshots look promising...

another thing involes that BTS-driver packs now supports creating a fully-slipstreamd driver-base...
(drivers.cab dosnet.inf etc), so my question for you is, witch types of drivers do you prefer build in windows and witch you want out (for now)

i myself would thing that, it would be best to start with basics, Chipset, VGA Sound LAN PCMCIA and SATA ... and fully removing printer + scanner drivers... do you agrea?

Edited by -I-, 27 April 2006 - 04:39 AM.

Dont be a luser*!*@msnf.org: Ask Good Questions. , read the microsoft guide, google-it-yourself
Do NOT use pirated software, there is free opensource software for allmost every task you seak!

Dels

Dels

X2K Project Leader

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

someone has picked up a nice project to create a 2k-ize patcher for win2k... screenshots look promising...

you mean me? lol :D

i hope gurgelmeyer will finish up usp 5.5 extreme in next 3 months so i can recheck the pack in that version (i have checked on usp 5.1 and it look close enough to stable, except the skinning engine)
Posted Image
X2K Project
Click Me

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

or maybe think about byte patcher that can compare byte between a two big files and then you upload the patcher version

i don't think a byte pacher will do the trick.... because its often far from acurate.
a dif file though COULD perhaps help A litle bit though i think the work wouldn't be worth the few extra megs saved...

I do agree that the download size is a problem. One thought is to release a crosslinked ISO 9660 - those are easy to create, and at least you would get "all" USP versions in one download - more value for money.

Another thought on the matter is, that most ppl probably use the USP's on 2K Pro, and don't care about the server variants. And a Pro-only variant of each USP will definately be smaller.

@gurgle, someone has picked up a nice project to create a 2k-ize patcher for win2k... screenshots look promising...

Interesting :)

another thing involes that BTS-driver packs now supports creating a fully-slipstreamd driver-base...
(drivers.cab dosnet.inf etc), so my question for you is, witch types of drivers do you prefer build in windows and witch you want out (for now)

i myself would thing that, it would be best to start with basics, Chipset, VGA Sound LAN PCMCIA and SATA ... and fully removing printer + scanner drivers... do you agrea?

I quite agree - SATA is however more important than PCMCIA I believe. Chipsets, SATA, Video (incl monitors), LAN 10/100/1000, Audio (full AC97 at least). Donno about printers and scanners yet B)

/G B)

Kramy

Kramy

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Interesting :)

I find that interesting too. Recently I started hacking my system files to put WinXP icons in them. I discovered that lots of icons are old though, so got to fixing them up by merging certain XP ones with others. I'd really love prettier icons, so post a link to your project. I can also help make a few icons too if needed, since I've eliminated most ugly ones from Explorer.exe and Shell32.dll already.
IBM Thinkpad 390e (WinXP) - nLited
Athlon XP 2800+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Athlon XP 2000+ (Win2k) - HFSLIP+nLited
Compaq Presario 5008 (WinXP) - HFSLIP+nLited

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
ill start right on theme this weekend -

thank god my isp has changed bandwith limits for me from 10 to 24gb per month, (helpfull for these tasks)...

war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
Major Geeks Mirror Now Online:

http://www.majorgeek...l_SP_d4817.html

Also, what about USP-5.02.2195.16-GURGELS-OWN.ZIP ? Did you want me to post this as well? I see at least one person wants it.

Edited by war59312, 27 April 2006 - 11:24 PM.

Dels

Dels

X2K Project Leader

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

I find that interesting too. Recently I started hacking my system files to put WinXP icons in them. I discovered that lots of icons are old though, so got to fixing them up by merging certain XP ones with others. I'd really love prettier icons, so post a link to your project. I can also help make a few icons too if needed, since I've eliminated most ugly ones from Explorer.exe and Shell32.dll already.

please PM me for that :D
Posted Image
X2K Project
Click Me

os2fan2

os2fan2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
i was wondering, as i begin the dial-up download of usp 5.1.2195, if it were possible to put the extras into a separate service pack.

Such things are not unknown elsewhere. OS/2 delivers the drivers in a separate service stream to the base OS. The second service pack could be multi-platform thing, eg Win2k / xp / ???.

W

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
doesnt work that way...

even though it could it would make more trouble for end users.

for example, if we would have packs a b and c
and pack a and c need file editiong of file x but b nead a complete update of file x than wicht of those packs should we change file x first, and what happends when the end user doesn't install a b and c in Our Prefered (and calulated) order.

this is probebly the biggest problem with creating windows service packs...
and recomanded thing to do is as a friend to download it on broadband and burn you a cdrom with it...

btw most drivers and patches are OS-specific, though most aplications work on both 2 and XP drivers and sucht wil not, as the base code and kernel has taken quite a lot of change.
and a rumour goes, in SP3 comming Q4 of this year (or so it should). thing regarding drivers wil change in full,

Edited by -I-, 29 April 2006 - 07:09 PM.

Dels

Dels

X2K Project Leader

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
so that is imposible?

how about something such as "roll-up" or "post update" like M$ done with "update roll-up sp4"?is it impossible too?

really i don't have friends that use broadband connection near (they all in different city and some of them different island) i use a small shared 128kbps connection here and the max download speed is only 10-15kb/s so download USP can take up to 4-6 days or maybe a full 2 days :(

and
i have seen other team that work on "AutoPacther 2K" project, they seem already solved that problem, they have a patch every month that only 10-20 mb and the full patch (desember 2005) is the base (huge, ~500mb)

and a rumour goes, in SP3 comming Q4 of this year (or so it should). thing regarding drivers wil change in full,

i have read some official news, it will release on 2007 just a couple month before vista release

thanks

Edited by Dels, 30 April 2006 - 03:14 AM.

Posted Image
X2K Project
Click Me

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

how about something such as "roll-up" or "post update" like M$ done with "update roll-up sp4"?is it impossible too?

I really prefer to eliminate as many problems as possible in advance, rather than making a mess of updates like good old MS have done. I'm sure you get my point ;) Convenience is one of the main purposes of USP's :yes:

really i don't have friends that use broadband connection near (they all in different city and some of them different island) i use a small shared 128kbps connection here and the max download speed is only 10-15kb/s so download USP can take up to 4-6 days or maybe a full 2 days sad.gif

242971184 bytes / (10240 bytes/second) / 3600 seconds/hour = 6 hours 35 minutes. Try downloading SP3 with 5.5 kb/sec - now those were the days.... :rolleyes:

/G B)

(PS - Don't worry - I already have an idea on "smart compression" - I need to run some tests)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer, 30 April 2006 - 02:46 PM.

rehack

rehack

• 24 posts

(PS - Don't worry - I already have an idea on "smart compression" - I need to run some tests)

you mean extract all *.??_ files, recompress as a solid 7z archive, then reconstruct the *.??_ files after download? that'd save 27 MB from the download: (*.??_) = 102 MB, and all those files extracted and 7z'ed = 75 MB.

you could also extract the two driver.cab files (42 MB and 30 MB) and combine them to one 7z archive (34 MB) to save another 38 MB. that's 65 MB saved overall.

of course the price of this is sitting through the re-compression on the user's side. it'd take around 10 minutes on a current system. i don't think that's a huge price though - how often do people apply service packs? there'd always be the option to leave the reconstructed version on the hard drive so it only has to be done once. it could be worth it as another download option at least. w2ksp51.exe as 144 MB vs 209 MB?

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

Gurgelmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
In theory a lot like that. My thought is, that each and every file should be stored only once - no matter how often it appears, no matter under which names, no matter how many different ways it is compressed, no matter if it's (recursively) embedded in MSI streams or other cabinets. It's perfectly simple - it could even be expanded to handle more than just the MSCF formats. The only difference to the end user would be that (s)he would have to download an EXE file instead of a ZIP file.

Best regards
Gurgelmeyer B)

Dels

Dels

X2K Project Leader

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
or maybe we could ask someone in AutoPacther 2K project how they did it :P

please don't mind, this only a "cruel" joke :whistle:
Posted Image
X2K Project
Click Me

vci

vci

• PipPip
  • 129 posts
great work gurgelmeyer!

i think this release and 5.2 will be the best versions (dont need extreme edition at all ...)

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
Hi Gurgelmeyer. sorry I wasnt able to follow up my old topic about the FP2k KB838018 hotfix. I was busy in the other side of the MSFN forums site.

wonder if the KB139071 OLE automation hotfix is or will be included in your unofficial Win2k SP5 pack.
Files are build 4528; replaces the previous 4526 build from KB886765. MS KB article 139071:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/139071

I have this Win2k hotfix. someone sent it to me. let me know if you need it.

Edited by erpdude8, 02 May 2006 - 05:32 PM.

-I-

-I-

win2k Freak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
btw. G from around next week or so i got myself a (powerhouse)
> (dualcore 1,8ghz cpu) with 2gb of ram...
so if for any reason you nead any cpu-time for building it or compressing it.. just ask...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN