Apps install: RunOnceEx, kTool, WPI, WIHU, XPlode, which method ?

Djé sent me an updated version of his install list tool, v1.0, hoping that my questions and the updated version would also be of help to the community at large.

I am sharing his new version and our current implementation of it, which has been used for WIHU in the past but mostly now is used with WPI. I will also try to answer our biggest questions about path resolution and the current version of WPI in general in this thread.

The link will be up shortly, msfn only allows 200k, and the config xls are 650k each.

installDjé_1.0.xls

installMRT_1.0.xls

I believe Djé's install spreadsheet is superior to the WPI config wizard since it allows you to create categories for @98, @XP, @Vista, @Pub etc, then generate a config file only for files with that category checked.

My biggest question was regarding the use of the wpi variables %WPIPATH%, %CDROM% and %ROOT%, and when to use each for a cd, network, or usb drive install.

%WPIPATH% is hardcoded into WPI to resolve to the WPI directory, and so is suggested in cases where users use the suggested WPI/Install directory to place their installers.

%ROOT% points to ../WPIPATH, or the directory located one level up from WPI, suggested in cases where your installers are located in sibling directories to WPI. (suitable in cases where you may be calling your installers from other programs besides WPI as well)

In the current version of WPI %CDROM% is actually defined by searching for specific files normally found on the traditional XP install cd, so it's use is not reliable for Vista or custom multiboot CD installs, unless the standard xp files are added. I will post the exact lines from the config soon if the WPI developers do not comment or change this. More to follow soon!

Djé, it would be super if you would post the batch command you are using with WPI injection to install your firefox extensions, as I have found the firefox.exe command switches to become unreliable in recent versions, and have reverted to repackaging the xpi's via CLEO for local installs or a html page with a series of checkboxes which downloads and installs the extensions from the web.

• 9 months later...